accra/rockley beach and taxi's?????

Mae123

I am putting together our trip plans and i have found several different prices on this taxi trip on these boards? IS it set or do we need to barter? I see some have paid 10 pp r/t and some have paid 15 pp r/t - now i understand that it is not a big difference , until you have 5 people- we are traveling with a physically impaired child and although he can walk, not long and over boulders- so a few hours a beach is fine. It looks like this beach would be best as we could also rent a chair and umbrella for him... any advise or thoughts would be great!!!

We were in Barbados on March 25th and took a taxi to Rockley Beach. We went outside the port gates as recommended on this board to find a taxi. The taxi drivers were all over us as soon as we exited the port. We took the first one that spoke very clear English and offered to take us for $30 for four of us each way. ($60 total, we paid him $30 when we got to the beach and $30 when we got back to port). When were at the beach waiting to go back, a cab driver offered to take us back to port for $22 but since our original driver showed up on time as we arranged we stuck with him.

The cab drivers were very competitive. Our driver was yelling at other drivers on the road. He pulled over to pick up his wife and a police officer pulled up next to him about an incident a little way back and our cab driver yelled at the police.

From our experience, I think you will have an easier time bargaining on the trip back to port. There were cabs waiting at the beach so there is really no need to arrange a round trip ride.

We seldom taxi anymore, but our golfcart-driving neighbours do, and we sometimes hear the details.

I understand it is now US$25/hr for up to four in the cab. Not PP, but a total cab rate.

Your five guests plus the physically impaired child (I'm assuming with a wheel chair?) will require a van. I would guess van rates to be US$35/hr.

Rockley is maybe 20 minutes SSE of Deep Water Harbour, but lets figure 30 minutes for traffic. That's US$17.50 per van load one way. Or, $US3.50 each.

Whether, or not, you achieve this rate is questionable.

I'll bet that you won't get it inside the DW compound, but if you venture outside on Spring Garden Highway, you'll find reasonable taxi guys.

US$5/each one way would be acceptable.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if my info is outdated.

Have a great time on the island! :)

Archived