Buying wine in Copenhagen for cruise

My husband and I are sailing on the Rotterdam in July out of Copenhagen. We wanted to purchase some wine in Copenhagen to take on board with us since the cruise lines charge such high prices for wine. Does anyone know a good place in Copenhagen to buy wine which is reasonably priced?

Thanks

In 2002 you could buy wine at the grocery store in a corner of the train station (small selection)or in the enclosed passage way with shops at a fruit stand on Vesterbrogade near H.C. Andersens Blvd. But that was 7 years ago and I don't know about now.

My husband and I are sailing on the Rotterdam in July out of Copenhagen. We wanted to purchase some wine in Copenhagen to take on board with us since the cruise lines charge such high prices for wine. Does anyone know a good place in Copenhagen to buy wine which is reasonably priced?

Thanks

Your savings may be illusory. A bottle of 2007 Babich Sauvignon Blanc for instance is about 13USD in the states but 17.62 after conversion in Denmark. You will then pay a corkage fee if you take it to the dining room and may well find that you have made a lot of work for little return.

That said I often take my own wine and pay the fees (or did gladly untill they started upping the charges in the last couple of years) There was a time when the wine stewards would waive the corakge for a nice tip but even that seems to have gone the way of the bean counter scrutiny.

look in the basement of the dept stores. the small wine stores do not keep their wines at optimal temps. we were there last year during a heat wave, nothing was air conditioned and the wines were cooking. there were no bargains, we bought nothing.

jdechter,

Would you advise buying the wines in Copenhagen or are the prices so high that with the corkage fee it would be the same as buying the wines from the cruise line. On our US cruises we buy the wine for $10-12/bottle and even with the corkage fee it is cheaper than the cruise line prices. We are also considering packing some bottles from the US but will only have room for a few bottles,

Thanks

jdechter,

Would you advise buying the wines in Copenhagen or are the prices so high that with the corkage fee it would be the same as buying the wines from the cruise line. On our US cruises we buy the wine for $10-12/bottle and even with the corkage fee it is cheaper than the cruise line prices. We are also considering packing some bottles from the US but will only have room for a few bottles,

Thanks

I have come to the conclusion for myself that it is not worth it and I will hence forth be buying my wine form the cruise line. This from a previously confirmed local buyer of wines.

We always bring several bottles on board with us to enjoy in our room before dinner. At dinner, we either drink by the glass or buy a bottle to last save for other nights. Love having wine in our room to enjoy on the balcony! And we are also planning to buy some in Copenhagen before we cruise and then some more in France.

Can one legally bring a 5 liter box of wine from the US to Copenhagen or do the custom laws restrict this? Can one buy box wine in Copenhagen for a fairly reasonable price?

Thanks,

Archived