w909 review part 2

Well today was scenic cruising past Tin Can Island.

The ship slowed right down then they lowered the mail cans to the awaiting locals in a dinghy

This has been a tradition for over a hundred years and this how the island got its nickname

In The old days an islander actually swam out to collect the tin can and a lot lost their lives to shark attacks user_184_tin_can_island.jpg

Next port of call was Dravuni Island

We got our tender tickets and headed off

We did not climb the hill as it was too muddy but those that did had mud all over them when they returned.

We dropped off some school books and toys at the school, word has it that the kids loved the stickers we packed in the bags.

user_184_dravuni_school.jpg

We then proceeded towards the end of the island just below the hill near the rock

The snorkelling was fantastic but you had to swim out about 200mtrs even saw a stonefish

We then made our way back to the village to watch the islanders perform their dancing and singing.

We were going to head back to the ship for lunch but the tender Que was way looooong

So we just sat under a coconut tree for about an hour and a half before the line shortened Down

From then on we vowed the next tender port we we have lunch on board first then go over to the island

Got back to the ship about 3.00pm and raced up to the buffet tp grab a quick snack user_184_dravuni.jpg

Next port of call was Port Denarau

The ship dropped anchor a far way from the wharf.

Boy what a controversial morning in the show lounge that was

For some reason all tour groups were delayed by about 1 hour

We booked the full day tour at Malama island

The weather was gloomy it was a half hour tender ride to the wharf

Then a 45min hi speed catamaran (only joking) to the island

The rain started halfway towards the island

Once anchored we then transferred to a smaller dinghy to get to the Island.

We went snorkelling and it was superb, We had to swim out a fair way and it was hard swimming back in due to the current and the rain was pelting down But what the heck we were wet anyway, The water temp was beautifull

We had a great lunch then went snorkelling again but it was much easier this time as it was low tide

The guides were fantastic

Those that didnt wish to snorkell went on the glass bottom boat

There was even a game of beach footy AUS v FIJI I am not sure who won

Well it was time to leave and yes more rain.

The skipper off the boat said that they might try unload us back at the ship (thank God) as we were all soaking wet and i was suffering the pacific flu but alas probably due to security and liabilty issues we continued to port Denaru

I was not looking forward to the tender ride home as we had passed 2 headed to the ship and with the swell they were doing quite rough and going very slow.

Once we got back as Jen said we were herded onto a jetcat and not allowed to shop this did not bother me as i was wringing wet and just wanted a hot shower.

Well what a savior that jetcat was. we were back to the ship in a flash

And then the air con of the ship hit us BRRRRR

Here I was freezing my preverbial off in wet boardies and a spray jacket and I had to do a half monty and put the spray jacket through the xray machine

I got over that and can tell you we all had a great day regardless

user_184_malama_island.jpg

SUE,JAYNE,GAIL, JEN PHIL GEOFF in front

The towells must heve been on sale at Target as they seemed very popular

Next stop Port Vila

Well, the girls were raring to go, credit cards in their hot little hands

But they didnt know we were doing cascade waterfalls first

As soon as we walked out of the gate we were hounded for lifts into town

Tip dont grab the first car walk at least 200mtrs down the road and dont pay any more than ten dollars some on our cruise paid $15.00 and allways have the correct money as some will try the scam that they dont have any change

We negoiated a trip to Cascades and return for $80.00 AUD and refused any side tours and he waited for us there,

Well these waterfalls were fantastic we were the only ones there as we had beat to P&O Tour groups

We then went back to town to do shopping

On the way back our driver requested that we pay him in cigarettes. OK I thought as the smoke prices over there are very expensive and I reckon he probably could have doubled his money with these,

Anyway he dropped us off at the duty free shop and I joked that I would leave the girls and Geoff in the cab as surety in case i did a runner.

I bought the smokes and when i returned the girls and Geoff were standing outside on the sidewalk with the taxi driver missing from his cab we waited for about 5 minutes then this other driver jumped in the cab. I walked over and gave him the bag he nodded and we went our separate ways. Ive gotta be honest ,It felt like i was doing a drug deal and yes I was looking over my shoulder for the tap on my shoulder from the local constabulary.

Anyway we went to Feng Kwei bought our duty free (its still dirt cheap)

Then looked around the markets on the waters edge and checked out the other shops

Vila is not as cheap as it used to be for touristy things so shop around and barter

had lunch back on board

Then Sue and I went paraflying its something you all have to try we enjoyed it immensley

Well then it was time for sailaway usual party atmosphere until some party animals who will remain anonyamous decided that they would pollute Port Vila harbour with sailaway steamers. It would have been funny if security had put them in the Brig for the night

user_184_paraflying.jpg

Sue paraflying

Lifou was our next port

And we stood by our word and had lunch first then set off to the island

There was only 8 off us on the tender on the way over

We chose not to snorkel as we had been there on three previous occasions and yest the snorkelling is great

We just went for a swim

Well then it was time to head home

We played bingo on the last few days did not win but the jackpot was over 12 grand 4 people shared it

And lucky the ship didnt sink as I had slept through the muster for the crew to fix the steering

Then we entered the heads and sadly our holiday was over

user_184_jims_cam.jpg

Jims homemade video cameraundewater housing

We are expecting you Jim for some good underwater videos

SUMMARY

PROS

Joining this cruise forum we have learnt heaps and saved heaps from the posts on here and meeting up on Board with you all was fantastic

The ship is great and kept clean but could do with a lick of paint in some areas

Captain Lorenzo was very entertaining and everyone looked forward to hi mid day broadcasts and he keep us informed with the weather conditions as well

Bar staff were fantasic

They kept the kids well hidden

Good selection of food in the Buffet section

Pacific Dawn entertainment staff . Zoltina held herself ok but did not seem to mix with passengers as where all the other staff did

CONS

How quick the days go by when you are on a cruise

Those two rude and arrogant french photographers

Tenders

Drink prices are a bit over the top and their RSA policy doesnt gel (we tried to order a half nip and mixer and were told that we would have to pay the full price??????)

The guest entertainers with the exeption of DEMO

Your choice dining ( we were hanging for this as we had a bad experience on our last cruise but I feel it doesnt work the poor old waiters didnt know which way there heads were as they are under the hammer to get the tables cleared for the next passengers and there was no personal service as we have had on previous cruises ie your favourite drink waiting for you addressing you by name . P&O please bring back the 2 sittings

The menu at Dinner

Well thats my review and yes looking forward to the next cruise

Regards Rob

Thanks for the pics and review, Rob...appreciate the effort there. Interesting re your comment on anytime dining...sounds like something we don't want/need, especially after enjoying being spoilt with the traditional two sittings to date.

Can you tell me what an RSA policy is?

Cheers,

Anna

I had an interesting discussion with Carnival (who own Princess and P&O) last year regarding anytime dining. We had it on Sapphire, and on such a large ship it works well as they have a large "International" Dining room for traditional dining and four specialty rooms for Anytime dining. On smaller ships like the Sun Princess they do not have these extra rooms, so they told me that Anytime dining does not work as well. (and that anyway Australian cruisers don't like it). There is no anytime dining on Sun Princess so I find it a bit odd that they have it on even smaller vessels run by their group. Perhaps they are experimenting

RSA policy....Responsible Serving of Alcohol....big issue in Queensland especially the rquirements for volunteers in sporting clubs.

cheers, and happy Easter

Anytime dining on the maiden voyage worked just like that..............turn up anytime & be seated. Obviously you don't get the personal service that you do with traditional dining......but at least it worked the way I expected it to. This time however, a different story. You HAD to book and it generally had to be 6.30 or 8.30. How can they call that anytime dining? Also, we asked the first night if we could make a permanent booking at a particular time & table and was told no, we had to do it on a day to day basis. I also heard other people get told the same thing. However, I also spoke to many people who had been allowed to do it. We couldn't help but wonder if money exchanged hands on those ones:rolleyes:.

We generally eat in the dining room every night but missed a few on this cruise as we were fed up of having to eat at 8.30 every night.

I, too, think they should bring back traditional dining.

Hi Karen and everyone, I agree that they should bring back traditional dining. We were on the Pacific Dawn last month and were also offered only 630 or 830 dining which is certainly not ANYTIME! Also a few times we were seated at tables where people were already halfway through their dinner which seemed a bit awkward when we joined them. We didnt really get to know anyone from dinner and we certainly never got to know the staff as we usually do on a cruise. Apart from that we had a great cruise. So good we have booked the next one April 26 10 on pacific Jewel. Do you thuink maybe they are trying to push people to the buffet restaurant so they can do it cheaper by giving away dining room service all together? Kerrie

Hi Karen and everyone, I agree that they should bring back traditional dining. We were on the Pacific Dawn last month and were also offered only 630 or 830 dining which is certainly not ANYTIME! Also a few times we were seated at tables where people were already halfway through their dinner which seemed a bit awkward when we joined them. We didnt really get to know anyone from dinner and we certainly never got to know the staff as we usually do on a cruise. Apart from that we had a great cruise. So good we have booked the next one April 26 10 on pacific Jewel. Do you thuink maybe they are trying to push people to the buffet restaurant so they can do it cheaper by giving away dining room service all together? Kerrie

Whoa What's This!!!!!!! :mad: I'm cruising on the 26th and I honestly thought you could basically book (withing reason) ANYTIME say between 5.30 and 10.30. I'm a bit peeved now. What happens if the times are all booked up? Do we need to just go to buffet then. I was excited at the prospect of the flexibility of dining (unlike the Pac sun 2 years ago) well it looks like I'll have to dine when they tell me. There will be 8 of us do u think that will pose a problem?

Thanks Liz (dont like whinging but this is making me CRANKY:mad:)

p.s. along with the topless sunbaking :rolleyes:

Liz

Thanks for an informative review, enjoyed reading it.

Also confused about the anytime dining and have also read that they have an early dinner for the kids (buffet I think) so am looking forward to feeding said children early then going for a nice dinner with DH. What will we talk about without our girls, maybe the anytime dining drama when we end up back in the buffet. :rolleyes: :D

Hopefully they'll have sort it out by September. :eek:

Cheers

Jingles:D

read that they have an early dinner for the kids (buffet I think) Jingles:D

Yes there is a 5.30 kids dinner in the buffet. The tables were set up with colouring in pages and pencils. My boys didnt use this but I would say that they would order off the kids menu.

Karen

Archived