SS Card:Half Cash half Credit Card?

Erinl

I wanted to know if it's possible to put a certain amount on your SS account and then once that's used up to use a credit card? For example: Can I put $500 in cash on my SS, then once (and if) that's used up, have the remaining charges be put on my credit card? I don't want to have a huge wad of cash with me on board but I also don't what a huge CC bill when I get home?

*I will certainly reserve some cash for land excursions, tips, etc.

Thanks!

Erin

I wanted to know if it's possible to put a certain amount on your SS account and then once that's used up to use a credit card? For example: Can I put $500 in cash on my SS, then once (and if) that's used up, have the remaining charges be put on my credit card? I don't want to have a huge wad of cash with me on board but I also don't what a huge CC bill when I get home?

Thanks!

Erin

Erin, I don't know if they will do this for you or not. However, if you use your credit card and than anytime during your cruise, you go to the pursur's desk and pay cash to reduce the amount on your credit card. It would achieve the same thing since Carnival doesn't charge your credit card until the cruise is done. They just put a hold on your credit card for a specific amount.

-Mark

Thanks!

Erin

Yes, you can do this. I've seen people standing in line to change their credit cards to a different one when they are afraid they are getting close to the max on the card. I've seen people do as some have suggested with having the card on your account then adding the cash to it. Either way the bottom line with Carnival is getting their money from you :) Decide which works best for you and go with it :)

Sure... that'll work. I've seen folks do it while I was standing in line at the Purser's Desk.

Just remember, once you give the Purser your card to secure your account they'll put a hold on your card for an amount that varies by the length of the cruise...

:)

You could also use the $500,00 to buy funship dollars. Have these applied to your S&S account as OBC. Then use your credit card when the OBC runs out.

Either way...it is 6 in one, a half dozen in the other!

We always start out as a cash acct, and then if necessary, we'll go add our debit card later on in the cruise. It's six of one, half dozen of the other, but for us, it helps us to keep our on-board spending under control.

We also try to prepay for everything before we even hit the boat (gratuities, excursions, etc), so we're not actually carrying a huge wad of cash on board. :)

Thanks!

Erin

Yes...I usually go on the last sea day and use any leftover cash to pay down my account. I of course keep some for the trip home. :p

But your CC card is not "charged" until the end of the cruise, so any cash applied to your account at any time during the cruise will reduce what is charged to your CC card.

:cool:

I agree with the other poster ... Why not just leave the cash in the bank and just pay off the credit card when you get home? Seems simple to me... My credit card is paid off in full so I plan to use it on the cruise and then just pay off the full balance when I get home...

Great info-thank you all for your replies!

At first we were going to bring all cash but then figured to put it on a cc that we get points with but I figured, why not do half and half? We do not have any cc debt so it was just more of a convienence factor to have less when we return.

Thanks!

Erin

We give them a card and then I go down on the last day and pay it off in cash. If I charge anything that night it ends up on the credit card. This is usually only a bottle of water or a specialty coffee. I hate having a bill at the end of vacation. I pay hotels in cash, pre-pay my gratuities and pay for any shore excursion through Carnival (rare that I take on these days as independent tours are usually much better) before the trip.

Our sail and sign bill on the Victory a couple weeks ago was $51 :)

Archived