Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

Don't worry Why not, I'm listening. I've got to work for a bit but will be back, so talk all you want. I'm taking two light weight jackets for warmth and religious sites that require the shoulders be covered.

So, I was thinking of one jacket that would work for rain. There's not much warmth to it, but I can layer. I bought a couple of cargo like pants that have the roll-up leg, which works for warmer or colder weather too. I just really need to find a comfy walking shoe/tennis.

Really?? :eek: :confused:

Please share your packing list secrets. I've got a 28-30" suitcase that I'm hoping will be large enough.

Hey, I gave you a packing list. I just can't help you with the shoes. Last time I had to take a separate suitcase just for shoes. I'm going to have to do better this time.

Really?? :eek: :confused:

Please share your packing list secrets. I've got a 28-30" suitcase that I'm hoping will be large enough.

First thing is I have no list. I concentrate on color coordinating outfits with bringing only what I need, not what I think I might want. I love shoes but hate carrying them in my suitcase. No matter how cute a particular pair might be, if I can't wear them multiple times, they stay home. On a warm weather cruise, I'll bring strappy sandals with heals for night time, pack a pair of flip flops (beach or pool) and wear a nicer sandal for other times. That's my limit. My night time wear consists of a pair of black pants and I have multiple tops to wear with. Then, a pair of white pants or skirt with multiple tops. All these outfits match the black strappy sandal.

Then, there's all kinds of lists around here for duct tape, over the door shoe organizers, extension cords, power strips etc. Never have packed any of that and never found that I needed it. I do pack a highlighter for the Freestyle Daily as I like to mark what I want to do during the day. I pack books to read that when I'm done I leave behind. Makes room for souvenirs. Also, to make sure I have room for souvenirs, when I pack my suitcase, I cannot use the zipper extension thingy. I can only use that for the return.

Now, all that said for longer trips I will check a bag. My upcoming trip is borderline which is 11 days but DH and I are committed to trying. The added bonus is that we know that the airline won't lose our luggage.

:D I wish it was that simple! We have really saved hard for this trip, and then we both lost hours at work due to this stinkin' economy, so I may need a year off for a breather.

I meant to ask earlier, does anyone know if I can carry on a travel size Wet Ones on the plane? Will it need to be in the quart baggie, or is it okay just in my tote?

I always travel with the portable wet ones and have never put them in the plastic bag. I never considered them a liquid or a gel.

Missi, you need to start adjusting to Met. time so its a good thing to start going to bed and getting up earlier. I'm going to try to do that. Thanks for your words of support. I think you are right about the excitement building once our group starts taking their turns.

We're more or less early to bed, early to rise kind of people, so we'll see how that time adjustment thing goes!

Good Morning everyone!

Okay, here's my deal. Yesterday, I was so sad when I returned from shopping for the trip and nobody was online to talk to me :(:D. Everybody else is tired of hearing me talk, talk, talk so I need you guys.

Last night at dinner my DD said, "do you think we could eat dinner tonight without you guys talking about your trip"... we said, nah, that would be impossible.

One bathing suit for me on this trip. Usually, its two but I just don't picture using it as much for this trip and if so, I will suffer putting on a wet suit. Plus, we are trying to maximize suitcase space. I hate over packing and we are not going to check luggage.

Are you guys bringing a light weight jacket?

So what did you buy for the trip? :D

I will be taking a light weight jacket for sure, the temp averages for the middle of May show lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s.

I always travel with the portable wet ones and have never put them in the plastic bag. I never considered them a liquid or a gel.

Thanks Bulldog! That's exactly what I need to know.

My packing secret.........

Throw stuff in a suitcase and hope for the best!

Seriously folks...

Don't forget to pack an umbrella and a waterproof poncho--just in case!

I've got the ponchos, there is NO WAY I'm going to let a little rain keep me inside! (and I'm glad you don't pack for me....) :D

I really need to try that early to bed and early to rise thing esp. with this upcoming time change. I just try to cram so much into one day (I want to do it all) then I have a hard time getting started the next day. OK I'm starting tonight, at least a few minutes earlier, I will hit the hay. I'm afraid I'm going to miss something so I run and put in a load of laundry and run back to the computer then I run and clean things up a bit and so on... back and forth.

My name is daring and I'm a cruise critic addict.

I am picking up Euros tomorrow--I can't believe it is almost here!

How many Euros are you taking with you? Also, where did you get them? We are taking private tours and will need cash to pay the drivers.

You are lucky, I wish we were going soon.

Judi

How many Euros are you taking with you? Also' date=' where did you get them? We are taking private tours and will need cash to pay the drivers.

You are lucky, I wish we were going soon.

Judi[/quote']

Over on the Ports of Call board, I've found that the majority will argue that waiting til you get to Europe and getting your Euros from an ATM there is the best way to go. But, I've got all these private tours booked, and with the ATM limits, I could easily have to stand in line at 2 ATMs each day just to get the cash for the tour, and that's if everything is working right! NOT the way I want to spend my sightseeing day!!!!!

So, I'm taking enough Euros to cover the cost of the tours, admission fees, and 500 extra to cover incidentals like taxi to and from airport, tips, and gelato. :D For everything else, I will use a credit card. Capital One has no foreign conversion fees, so that's what will be in my wallet!

I think the ATM limit in Portugal is 200 euros per day, but I think it varies from country to country. What we do is we use several cards and withdraw as much as we want from different accounts, you can also use your visa account to withdraw money. But I don't stand in line at ATM's, if there is somebody before us it never takes more than 5 minutes.

I think there was also an ATM machine on the ship last year, we never used it though. Not sure if there is one on the Gem but you can check that.

I'm not taking too much money, maybe 300 euros between me and my husband. We allways use the cards everywhere and when we need to, just withdraw some money from an ATM machine. There are ATM machines in every corner. I don't like to carry too much money with me.

I am picking up Euros tomorrow--I can't believe it is almost here!

Yeah, I'm so excited for you and all of us really because this is going to add to the excitement around here. Do you know where our ship is right now? I think I need to start tracking her since I will be taking ownership in almost 6 weeks! :cool:

Over on the Ports of Call board, I've found that the majority will argue that waiting till you get to Europe and getting your Euros from an ATM there is the best way to go. But, I've got all these private tours booked, and with the ATM limits, I could easily have to stand in line at 2 ATMs each day just to get the cash for the tour, and that's if everything is working right! NOT the way I want to spend my sightseeing day!!!!!

So, I'm taking enough Euros to cover the cost of the tours, admission fees, and 500 extra to cover incidentals like taxi to and from airport, tips, and gelato. :D For everything else, I will use a credit card. Capital One has no foreign conversion fees, so that's what will be in my wallet!

Yep, I want to get some Euros ahead of time too, at least to get me through the first couple of days. I''m already going to be in awe of being in strange surroundings, I don't want to add to my vulnerability by trying to negotiate an ATM right off the bat.

LOL

My name is cinanina and I'm a cruise critic addict :p

I know, I've got so much to do today that I really don't need to be on here but I had to get my fix for the morning. :o

Good Morning All,

I just had to say that you have a beautiful name!

Thanks!

But, you know, I kind of got mixed up here. My nickname is generally cinanina (in other forums) so I thought it was also in this one... I forgot I chose chapichapo for some reason I don't recall. Sorry about that :o my name is actually Catarina. :cool: Cinanina was actually the way my nephew said Cinderela (my childhood idol). Oh well, silly me!

I've bought 3 different kinds of neck pillows now. I just don't think there is a way to be really comfortable while trying to sleep sitting up. Are you guys having any luck with this?

There is no way I'm ever comfortable. I'm horrible at sleeping on planes too. We do have neck pillows, bought them at Target. They are quite good but a little too big for my taste of packing light, yet we bring them. Best we found for comfort, yet sacrificing space.

I really hate to fly---I don't let it stop me from traveling, but I hate it.

I am a bit claustropobic plus I have issues of being in control.

The way I look at it is that if they would just let me fly the damn plane across the Atlantic I would be fine!

Yay, just over six weeks out, got e-docs today! My husband said that he must remember to print out the luggage labels and laminate them (he does make a neat luggage label...). Anyone else have any little quirks that they must do before they set sail?

Yay, just over six weeks out, got e-docs today! My husband said that he must remember to print out the luggage labels and laminate them (he does make a neat luggage label...). Anyone else have any little quirks that they must do before they set sail?

Me too! I was like a little kid when the UPS man came with my welcome aboard packet today. It does make it feel "for real" now. I'm kinda caught up with things to do for the cruise for now, but the rest of my life is getting a little behind, so I need to pay more attention to that. Are you up late or are you in the states. And tell me, did you want to do any planning or anything on our meet and greet or would you rather not? No pressure, what ever you think will be fine.:)

Archived