Are you excited about the Gem and the Mediterranean?

daring

I'm wanting to run behind yelling WAIT DON'T LEAVE ME; I WANT TO GO! I remember feeling that way when my mom left me to do things like shopping.

Hey! It will be your turn soon enough. Wish you were with us, though. :)

Still packing, packing, packing...

Up to 5 pairs of shoes, three jackets, upteen outfits. I need another suitcase. I wish I could learn the fine art of packing. Some people have it down to a science. Not me. I bring it all and almost always use only a fraction of it.

Hey! It will be your turn soon enough. Wish you were with us, though. :)

Still packing, packing, packing...

Up to 5 pairs of shoes, three jackets, upteen outfits. I need another suitcase. I wish I could learn the fine art of packing. Some people have it down to a science. Not me. I bring it all and almost always use only a fraction of it.

As time goes by, I get better at it. You are right, I keep packing less and less and I still have items that I don't use. The shoes are the biggest problem. I want a different pair of shoes for every outfit and everything I do. Each shoe wears differently and therefore seems to rest a different area of the foot. I'm going to try to only take 3 pair this time. Can I do it?

Hello all, we are planning on booking a Mediterranean cruise on the Gem either for August 23rd or August 30th. There are 4 of us, including 2 children aged 10 and 15. As we are from Canada, we are not sure of the school summer holidays in Europe and are wondering if there will be many children on either cruise. We have cruised on RCCL and really enjoyed it as a family.

Additionally, how is everything priced in the cruise, in Euro's I presume?

Thanks.

Here are some questions for you in case I can't catch up with you again before you leave:

When will you get back? :rolleyes:

Do you know when Missi is supposed to be back?

Do you think you will be able to touch base with us/me while you are gone? :o

I need to know the earliest I can get off the ship in Malta if I don't have a NCL excursion?

I would like to find a wine tasting experience that is in or is closest to Pisa or Lucca. :p

And, where is Rich? He must have some serious jet lag. :eek:

I'm going to miss you SOOO much! I think I'll feel a little better when Missy returns. Did you try to make any plans to see her on Sunday?

Thanks...:o

No - I didn't and I'm now regretting that I didn't arrange something. That would have been such a kick.

Hi, someone asked what was the earliest they could get off at Malta? According to last weeks 'Freestyle Daily' Arrival Time 8 am, All Aboard 2.30 pm. I think it was only Cannes (shipped ashore by Gem's lifeboat) where the people on excursions were allowed off first.

The weather last week was fabulous. I remember on Monday hearing the temp was supposed to be 15 C but I'm sure it was hotter than that and I've got a fabulous tan!! Didn't need a jacket apart from occasional evening on deck ( stargazing in particular).

This was my first cruise and it was truly amazing.

You are all going to have a wonderful time.

Okay, this my FOURTH ATTEMPT!!!

Well here goes for anyone who's interested.

After a dreadful sleep in a too hot Barcelona hotel, we arrived at the port earlier than expected. we could see the Gem as we neared the port - I'm excited just thinking about it. the taxi took us right up to her, our luggage was whisked away and we sailed through check in. After a much welcome drink we then boarded and were welcomed with a champagne or fresh orange reception - after hands spray - then into the Christal Atrium. Wow!

Lunched at the Garden Pacific, fab. We ate most evening meals there or the Magenta and Cafe Garden buffet or poolside most other times. We were intending to try at least one of the cover charge restaurants but didn't manage it - I also took a book with me, I read approx 3 pages so I didn't manage that either!

Checked our cabin out at around 4 pm, luggage was outside the door. We had an inside on deck 10 and were very pleased with it (toilet was on a strange angle though).

I'm going to try posting this now, if it works I'll type some more.

continued....

We spent most of day 1 and day 2 sunbathing and swimming, day 3 Malta and day 4 Naples we strolled around (saving myself for Rome).

Day 5, complimentary bus took us the short distance to Civitavenchia (few mins). If you turn left when you get off the bus you'll see an information cabin. Very helpful lady gave us a map of Rome and a map showing where we were in relation to it, she directed us to the train station which was about 4 - 5 mins stroll. There was a queue for tickets but we were directed to the shop (newsagents in station) where we purchased return tickets for 9 euros each. Shopkeeper didn't like us asking him any questions though, he just kept pointing to the train and saying Rome so off we went. The journey took approx 50 mins. There was no air con on the train. We managed to get seats but there were people standing. Got off at St Pietro, walked to the Vatican. Wow!!! I still can't believe I did all this. Queued for about 15 mins to get inside St Peter's.

I wanted to do a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Rome but couldn't manage it. Got the train back - temp outside 28 C, temp inside 27 C. Very hot, difficult journey for me but thankfully managed it. I knew I was okay when I could see the Gem from the train, felt like I was nearing home then. If I did this again I'd arrange a tour from the port.

Day 6 Livorno, popped off the ship but decided to take it easy on board (again). Day 7 Cannes, strolled around. Hmmmm, not very adventurous am I? I imagine I've bored some of you but I've learnt that the beauty of cruising is that you can do just what you want to do and we did just that. We had the most amazing time, saw some beautiful places, met some fab people. The Gem exceeded our hopes. It was our first cruise but hopefully won't be our last. We've got memories to last a lifetime.

I hope you all have a wonderful time when it's your turn, I'm sure you will.

Sorry this is so long, I just hope it posts now.

Thanks for posting your trip report! Its not boring at all. Everyone has different ideas of what is a vacation for them. What is important is that you did what you wanted to do. :o)

This will be my first cruise and my first trip to Europe, so it is very interesting to read what people did on their trips.

What hotel did you stay in pre-cruise?

Thanks again YTZ. I want to ask some questions but didn't want to take to long and miss you.

So you were on the cruise with Rich who has seemed to left us high and dry. Thanks for stepping in for him and I do hope he is doing OK.

Bannda, hang in there with me. I get lonely, I crowd seems to be dwindling.

Okay, this my FOURTH ATTEMPT!!!

Well here goes for anyone who's interested.

After a dreadful sleep in a too hot Barcelona hotel, we arrived at the port earlier than expected. we could see the Gem as we neared the port - I'm excited just thinking about it. the taxi took us right up to her, our luggage was whisked away and we sailed through check in. After a much welcome drink we then boarded and were welcomed with a champagne or fresh orange reception - after hands spray - then into the Christal Atrium. Wow!

Lunched at the Garden Pacific, fab. We ate most evening meals there or the Magenta and Cafe Garden buffet or poolside most other times. We were intending to try at least one of the cover charge restaurants but didn't manage it - I also took a book with me, I read approx 3 pages so I didn't manage that either!

Checked our cabin out at around 4 pm, luggage was outside the door. We had an inside on deck 10 and were very pleased with it (toilet was on a strange angle though).

I'm going to try posting this now, if it works I'll type some more.

1. When you got to the ship, did you give them all your luggage including carry ons or did you keep anything with you.

2. What did you have to eat that was fab and what time did you get on the ship and what time did you have lunch?

3. How many people were in your cabin and how tight was it?

4. Did you visit the spa? Any reduced prices?

continued....

We spent most of day 1 and day 2 sunbathing and swimming, day 3 Malta and day 4 Naples we strolled around (saving myself for Rome).

Day 5, complimentary bus took us the short distance to Civitavenchia (few mins). If you turn left when you get off the bus you'll see an information cabin. Very helpful lady gave us a map of Rome and a map showing where we were in relation to it, she directed us to the train station which was about 4 - 5 mins stroll. There was a queue for tickets but we were directed to the shop (newsagents in station) where we purchased return tickets for 9 euros each. Shopkeeper didn't like us asking him any questions though, he just kept pointing to the train and saying Rome so off we went. The journey took approx 50 mins. There was no air con on the train. We managed to get seats but there were people standing. Got off at St Pietro, walked to the Vatican. Wow!!! I still can't believe I did all this. Queued for about 15 mins to get inside St Peter's.

I wanted to do a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Rome but couldn't manage it. Got the train back - temp outside 28 C, temp inside 27 C. Very hot, difficult journey for me but thankfully managed it. I knew I was okay when I could see the Gem from the train, felt like I was nearing home then. If I did this again I'd arrange a tour from the port.

Day 6 Livorno, popped off the ship but decided to take it easy on board (again). Day 7 Cannes, strolled around. Hmmmm, not very adventurous am I? I imagine I've bored some of you but I've learnt that the beauty of cruising is that you can do just what you want to do and we did just that. We had the most amazing time, saw some beautiful places, met some fab people. The Gem exceeded our hopes. It was our first cruise but hopefully won't be our last. We've got memories to last a lifetime.

I hope you all have a wonderful time when it's your turn, I'm sure you will.

Sorry this is so long, I just hope it posts now.

1. What time did you catch the train to Rome and what time did you catch the train back?

2. I thought the train station was a couple of blocks to the right when you went out of the port gates. Does that not sound right?

3. In Cannes, did you go as far as the Carlton hotel and did you see where the Cannes film festival is held. Was it flat where you went or did you walk up a hill?

Sorry I have so many questions but hopefully you will enjoy reliving the experience. ;)

Bannda, hang in there with me. I get lonely, I crowd seems to be dwindling.

Yeah, with Mississippi still gone and now WhyKnot and MG gone, its very quiet! Where's Gregor? Isn't he on May 24th cruise? I guess he didn't want to talk about shoes anymore. :p

I need to get everything I plan to wear on the trip out this weekend and see what works and what doesn't. Right now, I plan to take 3 pairs of shoes other than the ones I am wearing. I'm trying desperately not to overpack.

Are you taking your own blowdryer? I've read that the Gem ones are good, but I have hair that takes forever to dry so I'm not sure if I need to take my own. Such issues!

I plan to take a basic black dress and 3 sun dresses that I can dress up or down, a couple of Capri's, white dress pants, black gauchos, 4 tops, 2 or 3 bathing suits. Hmmmm shoes...black strapie heels, walking flats, flip flops. Should I take workout shoes? Black wrap, Khaki jacket white jacket. This is not a solid list but this is what I'm thinking, what do you think? :confused: I have a round brush dryer and a flat iron that I will take.

Hello all, we are planning on booking a Mediterranean cruise on the Gem either for August 23rd or August 30th. There are 4 of us, including 2 children aged 10 and 15. As we are from Canada, we are not sure of the school summer holidays in Europe and are wondering if there will be many children on either cruise. We have cruised on RCCL and really enjoyed it as a family.

Additionally, how is everything priced in the cruise, in Euro's I presume?

Thanks.

Did you find out the answer to this last question? I thought US dollars but I really don't know.

I plan to take a basic black dress and 3 sun dresses that I can dress up or down, a couple of Capri's, white dress pants, black gauchos, 4 tops, 2 or 3 bathing suits. Hmmmm shoes...black strapie heels, walking flats, flip flops. Should I take workout shoes? Black wrap, Khaki jacket white jacket. This is not a solid list but this is what I'm thinking, what do you think? :confused: I have a round brush dryer and a flat iron that I will take.

why are not you guys having this daily conversation on your roll call board???

you have hijacked this thread.

Big green

1. What time did you catch the train to Rome and what time did you catch the train back?

Train there around 9 or 10 am, train back just after 3 pm.

2. I thought the train station was a couple of blocks to the right when you went out of the port gates. Does that not sound right?

Yes that's exactly right. Shuttle bus takes you to the port gates, train station just a few mins away to the right.

3. In Cannes, did you go as far as the Carlton hotel and did you see where the Cannes film festival is held. Was it flat where you went or did you walk up a hill?

I don't really want to admit it but we didn't see any of this. We got to the electric train but it was full so went for a coffee and strolled around the market, didn't make it back to the train - I regret that.

Sorry I have so many questions but hopefully you will enjoy reliving the experience.

You've got that right!

why are not you guys having this daily conversation on your roll call board???

you have hijacked this thread.

Big green

Oy!

Thanks for the packing list Daring. I'm just starting to think about it, and it's useful. As you know, there is no one on my Roll Call, so I appreciate it here. It's nice to see people posting useful info.

I'm taking athletic shoes. I know they won't get used a lot since the cruise is so port intensive, but they also come in handy if I end up with blisters and need a break from my other pairs of shoes.

Archived