Life Boat – Assigned based on stateroom Cat.?

AZMB

At the muster drills I have always noticed along with other passengers the different type of life boats there are. Some appear to be the standard row boat style while some are larger and have an enclosed area with windows. The best ones are basically mini subs.

The instructions at the muster explain there is a boat for everyone. That is all everyone really needs to know, but I have always wondered the details on this.

My question is which type of life boat I am assigned exactly? There are clear differences.

I typically book a Cat. 12 room. The location I am typically assigned is always near 2 different types of boats. We are always directed to these areas and given instructions, but they never point out the boat you would step into. I am sure I will never have to worry about that, but I am curious what has been predetermined for such an event. Who gets ushered into the mini subs and who are handed oars? It would make a huge difference in the middle of a hurricane of being in a mini sub vs. rowing a boat.

Is it another platinum perk to have a better life boat? It appears it isn’t because it looks as though everyone is grouped based on were the staterooms are. That is why my theory of better stateroom Cat = better lifeboat.

Does anyone know for sure?

To clarify – I am asking a serious question. I am not saying this is the why I think it should be, I am asking what has Carnival already have planned for us?

At the muster drills I have always noticed along with other passengers the different type of life boats there are. Some appear to be the standard row boat style while some are larger and have an enclosed area with windows. The best ones are basically mini subs.

The instructions at the muster explain there is a boat for everyone. That is all everyone really needs to know, but I have always wondered the details on this.

My question is which type of life boat I am assigned exactly? There are clear differences.

I typically book a Cat. 12 room. The location I am typically assigned is always near 2 different types of boats. We are always directed to these areas and given instructions, but they never point out the boat you would step into. I am sure I will never have to worry about that, but I am curious what has been predetermined for such an event. Who gets ushered into the mini subs and who are handed oars? It would make a huge difference in the middle of a hurricane of being in a mini sub vs. rowing a boat.

Is it another platinum perk to have a better life boat? It appears it isn’t because it looks as though everyone is grouped based on were the staterooms are. That is why my theory of better stateroom Cat = better lifeboat.

Does anyone know for sure?

To clarify – I am asking a serious question. I am not saying this is the why I think it should be, I am asking what has Carnival already have planned for us?

your theory is absolutely correct. of course people with more money deserve to survive more so than us broke people

I'm not sure, but i don't believe they have a Titanic style of boarding life boats where all the poor souls in steerage are locked in there "cheap" cabins while you are boarded first. I'm sure they will be sure to pack champagne in your life boat as well.

I don't know if you meant it or not, but you just posted the most elitist thing i have every read on CC and thats saying something.

In the event of an emergency that would actually require getting into the lifeboats, how would the staff even know which passengers had which type of cabin booked?

Seems to me they would be much more concerned with making sure everyone got into ANY lifeboat than wasting time screening passengers to assure that only the passengers in the Cat. 11 or 12 cabins were getting into the fancier lifeboats.

I could be wrong, but that's just my take on it.

im glad Im not the only one who took offense to this ridiculous question...

It's ridiculous to be offended by the question. The OP was not saying they DESERVED a better lifeboat. They were just inquiring why some are different than others.

It's not a question you expect to hear every day, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

I always book a 1A cabin, so I have to bring my own blow-up 1 man liferaft. Steerage class does have its down side. On the Titanic they locked the steerage class down below while all the Cat 12 passangers got into their luxury life rafts.:rolleyes:

Well, does the old adage of "women and children first" still apply? I would think that if it did a logical thinking would be that the women and children got the "min subs" and the guys got the rows.

But to answer your question, No I do not think you get a better life boat according to your position on the ship. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for the different boats.

On a more serious note, I believe they actually are required by international maritime law to carry more lifeboats than they need. From what I understand from my brief time working at a lawfirm that represented cruiselines, there are enough mini-sub type boats for maximum occupancy passenger levels plus maximum crew levels. The other types of boats are auxilary boats for use in an emergancy.

The lifeboats all look the same to me...what is the OP talking about?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

she wants to make sure she gets the floating cadillac in the event of an emergency since she got herself a fancy cat 12 room....

. I don't know if you meant it or not, but you just posted the most elitist thing i have every read on CC and thats saying something.

I dunno, that thread about the couple bringing their own Italian sheets and crystal, and a paid staff member to wash their sheets, still qualifies as the most elite thing I've ever seen!

I think at muster drill on the Imagination they said women and children still board first.

I also think there were enough of the mini-subs for maximum capacity, but the other types (inflatable, etc) were there in case of emergency if the mini-subs were incapacitated for some reason.

First... there are no 'row boats'...

I've had several Cat 12 cabins and I can assure you that the folks in the inside cabins across the hall from me were at the same muster station that I was at.

The concept that those in higher priced cabins would get better life boats is kinda difficult to deal with...

Let me give you an example... The Conquest has a MAX passenger capacity of 3730, that's every cabin full to the ears... The motor life boats... the 'submarine' kind... have a capacity of 3450 so that's a MAX of 280 folks who would be in the open life boats... The open boats have a capacity of 2240.

Don't worry... these ships aren't like the Titanic... there's MORE than enough capacity for everyone on board!!!

:)

The lifeboats all look the same to me...what is the OP talking about?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

You may not have noticed but there are inflatable tent rafts. They are stored inside those gray capsules you may have seen. The Navy uses these as well.

I did not take offense to the OP's question. Sometimes questions do not always come across online as they would in person. I understand that. I took it as a natural curiosity question.

Come on now some of you thought of silly little questions too and may have been to afraid to ask.

It's ridiculous to be offended by the question. The OP was not saying they DESERVED a better lifeboat. They were just inquiring why some are different than others.

It's not a question you expect to hear every day, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

Thank you!

I've always said that you can't ask a dumb question here... you might get a dumb answer but there are no dumb questions!!!

:)

You may not have noticed but there are inflatable tent rafts. They are stored inside those gray capsules you may have seen. The Navy uses these as well.

I did not take offense to the OP's question. Sometimes questions do not always come across online as they would in person. I understand that. I took it as a natural curiosity question.

Come on now some of you thought of silly little questions too and may have been to afraid to ask.

Yeah...I have seen the back up rafts...they were asking about them? LOL

:rolleyes:

Wow....

I generally stay in 1A cabins. I think I'm just given an oar...no boat to go with it. :rolleyes:

They do say during the muster drill that women and children go first (and I believe those that require special assistance). And as an above poster wrote, there are MORE than enough boats for everyone.

I always book and inside cabin, so I imagine I'll be manning the pumps until the very last moment to ensure all the Cat. 12s get into their boats safely.

Myself included . . . but I'm strong and an excellent swimmer so . . . I imagine it would follow with the current politics of the day, "FROM each according to his ABILITY . . . TO each according to his NEED" :rolleyes:

Marx would be so proud. ;)

Archived