Life Boat – Assigned based on stateroom Cat.?

AZMB

.............. The best ones are basically mini subs.

As we were embarking the Splendor in June two teenaged newbies were all excited about the 'submarines' they were seeing. It burst their bubble when I explained that if those were underwater we would all be in trouble as those were our lifeboats.:p

I was reading about this thread on another thread and after hearing everyone talk about it I really wanted to read it and now thanks to someone it has been brought back up to page 1 and I just have to say I have been laughing my bu** off.....:D Now to find the Itlaian sheets thread? anyone?:)

Keep up the good work on quitting smoking!

In 1971 took my 1st cruise Was in the Army and was given this cruise by the Army along with 21 others who got an outstanding rating in a post wide training progam . The cruise lasted two hours for it ran aground and 6 hours to get off the ship. We all were given cabins on the lower deck in the bow section

They used the life boats to get the pass. off the ship.

Us military guys were told that we would have to wait until the paying pass. got off 1st.

The lifeboat we were put in was with the crew and had a shaft running down the center of the boat and we all had to crank it to turn the prop.

This was my first and last cruise until May 2003 cruise

Paul

at the last muster drill they told us women and children are still first but all families on the same lifeboat.....so it definitely wouldn't be all women/children in the covered ones. But we were also told that the are like little bubbles and no water can get in or out. So I assume the rest are just extras in case of an emergency ie. something happens to the other one.

Keep up the good work on quitting smoking!

Thanks yogi.....I appreciate the encouraging words and it is easy once you see the dang money I have been wasting...LOL

So No maybe I can afford Italian Designer Sheets and a Cat. 12 so I can get the fancy lifeboat;):D

It didn't matter on the Titanic...

It absolutely did matter on the Titanic. More third -class children (never mind the third-class adults) perished than first-class men. Only one first-class child died, along with her parents, because they were searching for her infant brother who was safely in a lifeboat with the Nanny, but they didn't know it. Class was definitely a factor in the Titanic tragedy.

Wow! That's one way to thank you for your service....

In 1971 took my 1st cruise Was in the Army and was given this cruise by the Army along with 21 others who got an outstanding rating in a post wide training progam . The cruise lasted two hours for it ran aground and 6 hours to get off the ship. We all were given cabins on the lower deck in the bow section

They used the life boats to get the pass. off the ship.

Us military guys were told that we would have to wait until the paying pass. got off 1st.

The lifeboat we were put in was with the crew and had a shaft running down the center of the boat and we all had to crank it to turn the prop.

This was my first and last cruise until May 2003 cruise

Paul

I hate to burst your bubble, but no, paying fo a suite doesn't guarantee you one of the better lifeboats, heven forbid it be needed. If you look at your sail and sign card when you embark and then when you go to the muster stations on Deck 4 you will notice that there are letters around each lifeboat. This is where you are told to go if there is an evacuation, thus, if your S&S has D on it, don't bother going to a A station, you'll be told to head up the deck to where it has the letter D. No one gets a better lifeboat in case of emergency.

The crew have liferafts at their muster stations, so if you like, I am sure a crew member would gladly switch places with you and you could have his or her spot in the life raft and he or she can have your spiot in the life boat....

*BG*

I do not believe the lifeboat assignments have anything to do with category purchased. It makes sense it would be based on proxmity of your cabin to the lifeboats and the need to distribute all passengers evenly over all the lifeboats.

It would be a really stupid PR move for a cruise line to give better lifeboat accomodation to people who pay for better cabins! That makes no sense at all!

In the event of an emergency that would actually require getting into the lifeboats, how would the staff even know which passengers had which type of cabin booked?

Seems to me they would be much more concerned with making sure everyone got into ANY lifeboat than wasting time screening passengers to assure that only the passengers in the Cat. 11 or 12 cabins were getting into the fancier lifeboats.

I could be wrong, but that's just my take on it.

Exactly. In the event of a real emergency, I am getting into the first lifeboat I come to with a seat. Period. Screw muster stations. Screw lifeboat types.

Seriously here, someone brought up that Carnival typically uses shore-based tenders instead of the ships lifeboats, and yes, this does seem to be the case.

Unless my eyes deceive me- Conquest class seems to have two tender lifeboats whereas Fantasy,Destiny and Dream classes have none.

But for some reason, Spirit class vessels seem to have the full complement of these type of boats with six total (three on either side).

Does anyone know why there is a discrepancy within the fleet?

P.S. for anyone wondering what we are talking about, you can easily see the tender boats in this image of the Carnival Spirit:

p9250502.jpg

I am going on the lifeboat my dh directs me to. He has figured out just where the gauges are that let crew know how charged up the batteries are...He can direct me to the one with the best charged batteries! Also..."mini-subs" may require more "juice" to keep them running..if they have the same type of batteries as the "cheap seats" guess who will run out first

Archived