Walkie Talkies

crzgrl66

Are the walkie talkies that you rent from the cruiseline (I can't remember the exact name of them) different from regular walkie talkies? We have our own that I would like to bring. Will regular walkie talkies work okay on board?

Hi, we've just been on the Zuiderdam and used our walkie talkies all the time. Our stateroom was on deck 4 and we could still communicate with our daughter when she was on Deck 9 by the pool (that was from inside our cabin - not on the balcony). The best thing about this was, that my hubby and I could go for a drink in the piano bar on deck 2 and know that the kids could contact us if need be! Obviously it depends on the size of the ship as to how well your walkie-talkies will work but they certainly worked brilliantly on the Zuiderdam.

RCCI uses "DECT" phones.

I know folks who have used their own W-ie/T-ies with a variety of levels of success. The differences in ships may impact how well they work but the level of quality in the W-ie/T-ies themselves seem to be the deciding factor.

Just FYI, the regulations for portable communications devices vary from continent to continent. North American countries pretty much have one standard, but if you are considering them for a European cruise, they have diffferent regulations -- so if you are in port or within so many miles of land, you may not be able to legally use a device built for NA standards.

Archived