Need help for a whirlwind tour of Toronto

We're from Ohio and have an 11 hour layover starting about 12:30 pm on a Thursday in two weeks, at Toronto Pearson airport. Would appreciate any advice on what to do rather than tediously waiting at the airport. We like Toronto, but haven't been there in about 17 years. Only thoughts so far are that we might visit the Royal Ontario museum and have somewhere dinner in Yorkville. Also, our default transportation is to take a hotel shuttle to and from the airport to cut down the travel time, but open to public transportation also if there is a good way. We figure to check our carryon luggage at the airport, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks.

Dennis

Public transport from the airport is taking the bus to the subway. The fastest is the 192 Airport Rocket. It goes to the Kipling station with limited stops. You can take the Bloor-Danforth line from there to the St-George station, which is near the museum.

Are you asking about restaurants near the museum? I'm a Montreal, so I can only help with national chains... but there should be a few Torontonians who can help on here. I know that there used to be a Morton's steakhouse close to the museum.

The ROM (as it is known in Toronno) is at 100 Queen's Park

Hours of Operation

Monday to Thursday 10:00 am - 5:30 pm

Friday 10:00 am - 9:30 pm

Saturday and Sunday 10:00 am - 5:30 pm

Ticket Types & Prices

Adult (18 to 64 years) $22.00

Senior (65+ years, with ID) $19.00

Student (15 to 17 years, with ID) $19.00

Child (4 to 14 years) $15.00

Infant (3 years and under) free

Persons with disabilities Each full paying admission receives one attendant free

If you buy your ticket online, you get a free downloadable audio guide... which might be useful if you have an MP3 player for everyone in the family.

Friday nights after 4:30 is cheapie night... half price. And Wednesday from 4:30 to 5:30 is free.

For public transportation...

The St. George stop on the Bloor-Danforth subway line is closest to the ROM’s main entrance on Bloor Street W. The Loblaw School Entrance is located at the Museum stop on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line.

Thanks for the reply and your help.

We'll look at the scheduling for your suggested bus and subway routing. For a restaurant, we'd be trying more for something unique to Toronto, but I think the ROM is the main interest, so we'll work around that.

Dennis

I'm not an expert with the Toronto area, but a couple of years ago I was there. I got off the plane, rented a car, checked into my hotel and headed right for Niagra Falls. Probably did the entire trip in about 4 to 5 hours.

I live in Toronto. To add to the info you have been give. On the Bloor Danforth subway line you need to change trains to go on to the University line. You do this at St. George station. Go one stop to Museum. It will put you right at the ROM.

I can't think of any restaurants in that area but there may be something in the ROM> I have not been to the ROM in many years.

If I think of anything I will post another entry.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions and information, but after researching the connnection times, there's going to be just too much time gobbled up in transportation, so I think we'll just hang at the airport now. Too bad, because it's a great city to visit.

Next time, maybe I'll drive up from Ohio and spend a couple of days in Toronto to get the most out of my visit, maybe a full day to the ROM instead of just three hours or so.

Dennis

I would reconsider. Spending all that time at the airport would be terrible.

The ROM has a new lovely restaurant C5 and Yorkville is only a block away with many restaurants to choose from. If you do reconsider, perhaps some ideas re the cuisine you have in mind and I can provide you with some recommendations.

I would reconsider. Spending all that time at the airport would be terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I agree that it would be miserable in the terminal unless we were in an Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge, for which our fare didn't qualify us to buy a daypass.

But through hotwire.com we just got a room at the Sheraton in Terminal 3 for US$53 plus tax so we'll be able to swim at the pool, relax in the sauna and hotel room just a few minutes from Terminal 1. So, probably a lot duller than a Toronto visit, but less stressful and perhaps better preparation for sleeping during our 10 1/2 flight.

I'm still leaning towards a separate trip to include the ROM. Toronto is only about a six hour drive from our home, and since we just retired, we should have the time this summer; Canada's more affordable this year.

So, if you do have ideas for restaurants in that area, I'd still welcome them for our summer trip.

Thanks.

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Well sounds like your plans will work out fine. Let me know the type of cuisine you like and can give you some ideas and as a previous poster mentioned the toronto.com site provides a great collectoin of restaurant recommendations.

So, if you do have ideas for restaurants in that area, I'd still welcome them for our summer trip.

Thanks.

Dennis

If you are a person who enjoys tasting local and international beers when you travel, Toronto is a bit of a hotspot for good beer. There are several excellent (if a bit pricey) restaurants in the downtown area that specialize in pairing gourmet food and good beer. On a recent trip to The Biermarkt, we had a lobster-chowder-based fondue served with a Quebec witbier--and that was just the appetizer. beerbistro is another place where for each dish, the menu makes pairing suggestions from their extensive international beer list. And Academy of the Spherical Arts is another pleasant place for a fancy meal and good beer.

If you are looking for a less-gourmet experience, there are several restaurants that serve up good basic food (often with an international touch) and good local beer. C'est What (try the lamb burger), Granite Restaurant and Cafe Volo (good Italian fare) all have an outstanding selection of locally made beer, some of it cask-conditioned. Volo also has an extensive international list of beers; Granite and C'est What serve their own brews in addition to other local beers.

If you are looking for a pub, the Victory Cafe serves good basic burgers, etc. and good local beer, but it can be noisy. Smokeless Joe's is a tiny oyster & beer bar with a good interntional list of bottled beer but a very limited food menu--avoid the sandwiches, but the clam chowder is fantastic (not available in the summer), and the huge dish of steamed mussels (made several different ways, several of them involving beer) may be the best food bargain in the city.

If your focus is to stay around the ROM, walking distance up a few blocks is a wonderful Italian restaurant for dinner called Spuntini which is a bit noisy but has excellent food. Reservations are a must. Vittorios on Avenue Road a bit north of there is also great italian food.

There is a wonderful spot (self serve) in Yorkville for lunch called MbCo. Short for the Montreal Bread Company. Excellent gourmet sandwiches, salads and soups.

If you are staying in Toronto, a trip to the Danforth area is great for excellent Greek food. There are tons of places to try, all with outdoor eating.

All depends on how much time you have, your taste, dont recall you asking about the beer but the Bier Market that was recommended has good reviews, never been there but I heard beer is an ingredient in all their dishes.

Would suggest going on Toronto.com website for some great ideas. We are a city of terrific restaurants and tons of them.

Toronto is about three hours from me and I go a few times a year (used to go all the time).

For restaurants, check out the Distillery District. I'd advise going mid/late afternoon and checking out some of the galleries and stores before heading to dinner and drinks. The Mill Street Brew Pub is the affordable option and has good food at reasonable prices. If you are a foodie, there are other options in the same district with price tags to go with it. But Mill Street offers a great selection of beers - many of their own brews along with other bottles to choose from. Archeo offers reasonable prices as well, but without all the home brews.

Depending on when you go in summer, I also recommend the National Exhibition. It's (in my opinion) a lot of fun and you can spend all day there or just a few hours, depending on your interests.

Thanks to everyone for these thoughts. These sound like the types of places we'd enjoy a lot. I like beer, my wife enjoys wine more, and she's a great of mussels.

And that's a good reminder to me about timing with the National Exposition. We did that about 17 years ago, and had a lot of fun. For some reason, my favorite thing was seeing all the draft horses. So, I'm printing these all out for summer's use.

Dennis

Archived