packing

hi everyone,

not leaving for my cruise till july, but already mulling over in my mind what to pack...typical woman. this is my first 10 day cruise and i always overpack whenever i travel. rich and i are low key people .....will not be doing formal nights.....and have excursions in every port. HELP !!!!!

thanks loads,

carol

hi everyone,

not leaving for my cruise till july, but already mulling over in my mind what to pack...typical woman. this is my first 10 day cruise and i always overpack whenever i travel. rich and i are low key people .....will not be doing formal nights.....and have excursions in every port. HELP !!!!!

thanks loads,

carol

Carol,

Don't worry...

But, having taken a number of European cruises, let me offer some advice.

First, check with the airline you are flying with...Airline luggage restrictions, especially in Europe, have gotten tougher and tougher the last few years...They may not let you "overpack".

Of course, there are so many disadvantages to overpacking as well--primarily, you've got to schlepp all that luggage...So, keep it simple.

Second question, what cruise line/ship are you on?

Some don't even have formal nights anymore (like Oceania with whom I am cruising)...With others, formal night, at least for the guys, actually makes packing easier--I rent a tux through the cruise line formalwear contractor for less than $100 for the whole cruise...and it's 2-3 fewer outfits I have to pack...Women can actually get away with little packing or little real formality...pack a simple black dress...wear it on both formal nights, just accessorize differently...This way you really don't have to skip formal nights...It's July in the Med--it's hotter than heck anyway, so no one expects you to be "overdressed"...

Also, depending on the ship, some have onboard self-serve laundromats...For us, since we have a 14 night cruise and are spending six additional nights before and after in hotels and a night on the plane getting there, we've got three weeks to pack for...So, we really only will pack enough socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc. for half that time...then, about halfway through the cruise, we'll dump it all into a washer in the laundromat (our ship, the Nautica, has one--right on our deck 7, not too far from our cabin...And, every ship has a dry cleaning/laundry service of some kind...really worth considering to keep your packing light and simple...

Next bit of advice: Pack SMART...Choose outfits that are fairly neutral and can match in combinations and match the SAME pair of shoes...For the ports, you want a really good pair of comfortable walking shoes--choose comfort and support over style...What you are really trying to accomplish packing-wise, is to minimize the number of pairs of shoes you take--shoes are bulky and heavy.

All of the various bottles of creams, lotions, toiletries, cosmetics, whatever--don't take large bottles of anything...if you only need 10 days worth of a product, buy small plastic squeeze bottles and pack just 10 days worth into those...or buy "sample sizes" of those products--get rid of the bulk.

Don't worry about forgetting anything...You are going to civilized countries...they have shops that sell all of the same stuff...

Don't pack things like hair dryers (there's one in the cabin) or irons (they don't allow them)...

Also remember, you might likely buy an article of clothing or two on the ship or in port...

Remember, also, there are some things you may consider wearing more than once--say you get back from port late and change into something for dinner, then retire to your cabin--that outfit probably didn't get worn enough that you can't hang it back up and wear it another day...if it did get soiled, send it to dry cleaning and wear it another day anyway...

Check the weather...July in the Med? All of your clothes should be lightweight...It will be hot everywhere...there is little chance of rain anywhere...So don't pack any jackets, rain gear or anything of the sort...do pack a hat with a nice wide brim--for the sake of shade and protecting your scalp...also pack SUNSCREEN...

Have fun...

Good list BruinSteve. Don't forget swim suit. I like a cotton knit dress as a coverup/bathrobe (they give you a terry bathrobe but they are hot and heavy to me and not large enough). I also like at least one long sleeve cotton shirt for sun protection. DH likes his travel shirts with the "air vents" and they wick away moisture. I just bought 3 cute knit dresses sleeveless with a small bolero jacket (think Michele Obama) and they weigh just ounces. There are restrictions on dress on some of the shore excursions. My personal preference is closed shoes and socks for walking in the heat -- less friction and rocks etc and less chance for blisters. Hoping Sept will be cooler but know it may not be.

When packing pack half of you cloths in each suit case in case one case doesn't make it. I also have one days clothing in a carry on in case two cases don't make it. For credit cards--have a card you carry that your husband doesn't have. incase your purse is taken and you have to cancel a card, your spouse has a different card.

Have fun

We will be in the med in early June, will we need rain gear? Umbrellla, or rain jacket or both?

We always travel with rain ponchos and umbrellas. We get them at the Dollar Tree. The ponchos are in individual bags and, while they are thin, they are great to have in a pinch for an unexpected shower (and easy to just throw in a purse, etc.). The umbrellas are lightweight and compact and, if I run out of space when packing to come home, I don't feel bad if I have to leave them behind.

We always travel with rain ponchos and umbrellas. We get them at the Dollar Tree. The ponchos are in individual bags and, while they are thin, they are great to have in a pinch for an unexpected shower (and easy to just throw in a purse, etc.). The umbrellas are lightweight and compact and, if I run out of space when packing to come home, I don't feel bad if I have to leave them behind.

Very good tip. This is the second most important tip I always give, when asked. Get disposable rain gear and umbrellas, and get several of each. It is near impossible to re-use the ponchos. I do leave them behind, often at the hotel desk where they can give them to other visitors.

Most important to me is shoes. They may be a bit bulky but, in port intensive or even when doing walkabouts for days on end, you need to give the shoes a rest. Take at least two pairs of walking shoes so they can dry out in between uses.

Another very essential item is the day bag or back pack or some such carrying container. Do spend time looking for one. Make sure it has a separate spot for your water bottle(s), a place for your camera, a spot for your important papers and that there is zippers or closures that are a bit difficult to open (a minor pickpocket deterrent). My Wife found one in a shoe store, that also sold purses, it is leather, is well compartmentalized a (cameras etc) and can double as a purse. I can carry it as a pack and she then uses it as a purse. As always, finding the perfect one does take shopping and looking around but it is worth it when it is found.

We will be in the med in early June, will we need rain gear? Umbrellla, or rain jacket or both?

The honest answer is..................NO.

The Mediterranean climate runs counter to most of the world...Summer...really May to September is the DRY season...It very rarely rains at all...So, taking umbrellas and heavy rain gear is really a waste of valuable space and weight.

If you want, take those cheap plastic $1 ponchos as an emergency raincoat...but, really, 99.999% chance you won't need them at all...

I have been traveling to Europe by cruise ship with pre and post land travel for over 10 years

It is essential for me to pack light for this reason

but be prepared for rain, heat, formal night etc.

I've found a way that works for me to never lose my somewhat sense of fashion..and always appropriatly dressed for countries I visit.

I put my system down in our online travel journal on the packing page...

1. I list everything I bring for 3 weeks of travel in Europe or elsewhere by cruise and land

HOWEVER, since you are traveling in Europe in the summer, you won't need the jackets, mittens and jeans I suggest.

Switch those out .....

I would add more blouses and tshirts because of humidity, and 2 long skirts, blouse combinations..

that will cover you for dinner and entrance to churches

2. There's other links with leading luggage manufacturers giving demonstrations on how their systems can work for you.

3. and I've included what we don't leave home without list...

If you want to check it out, go to link below...then into journal and packing.

I hope it helps you, I received quite a bit of positive feedback from other CruiseCritic members that stumbled upon it.

Enjoy your cruise!

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

side note..

This is a personal website, without advertising or cookies.

It's set up as if it was handwritten and we shared with you over coffee.

I always shop at the thrift stores before a cruise. Throw away the clothes. It lightens up the bag for purchases acquired along the way. I even throw away my old Tennis shoes or flip flops. Believe me..every ounce helps nowadays.

Archived