Packing for Kids for Alaska

shellgoodman

My main focus this week has been trying to find fleece and outdoor rain gear for my 2 girls ages 11 & 9 for a trip which I just booked for June to Alaska. I live in Texas so winter days are far and few between.

I found a Columbia Outlet and bought 2 fleeces each for the kids, a whole rain gear outfit (with pants), and a windbreaker each. No gloves to be found and I might have to order online.

My questions are:

Should I bring their winter coats too?

Do I need to buy hiking boots which for them they would never wear again?

Do I really need the raingear with the jacket and pants?

The packing is so difficult for Alaska as it is not swim suits and shorts but really heavy stuff for day (jeans and sweatshirts) and having nice outfits at night. Plus I need to bring clothes for a couple of days post-cruise in Seattle.

I'm a fellow Texan and we cruised to Alaska June 7 last year. I didn't buy my kids hiking boots because it wasn't necessary for the excursions we were doing. I did bring them each 2 pairs of tennis shoes in case one pair got wet.

We packed 2 hoodies each and underarmor and long sleeve shirts. We recycled the hoodies and just changed the long shirt underneath to help out with the bulky packing. I brought their winter coats and then a couple of lighter weight ones. Each pair of jeans they wore twice (again helped on packing). You aren't sweating so the clothes didn't stink to wear them twice.

This worked well for us. We also had hats that covered ears, gloves and scarves. Our weather was gorgeous and we were warm enough and even peeled off some of our layers depending on where we were.

Our coldest day was when we were whale watching because we were right on the water on the boat. Have a great time. My kids were 7 1/2 and almost 5 when we went and they still talk about it and want to go back to Alaska.

I forgot to address rain gear. We didn't pack any extra raingear because I had one windbreaker-type jacket with hoods for each of us that could get wet and could fit over our other clothes. Since I already had those, I didn't purchase anything else. You could pack panchos that fold and pack easily.

AK in the summer is a pretty warm place. 60's-80's depending upon where you are. On the seas, it can be cooler and more windy, But I'd avoid over packing.

for most shipboard and land excusions, you'll find layers will work just fine -- make certain the rain jackets fit easily over the polarfleece, and that the polarfleece fits easily over normal clothing. If the rain jackets are kind of the "parka" style (a little longer with a solid hood) you should be fine.

The only reason you might need the rain pants is if you are going on a smaller boat on an excursion -- even then it is unlikely.

Athletic-type shoes are going to be fine for most of what you might even consider doing.

Don't forget the swimming suit (and the sun screen) -- when in port, it can easily be warm enough to spend time at the outdoor pools. and many ships cruising AK have indoor swimming pools (on RCCI's ships with indoor pools, since this is considered a "cool weather" itinerary, they have "family times" in the Solarium - normally an "adults-only" pool.)

Living in So CA I feel your pain on packing for Alaska. First off most of the ports have shops with cheap gloves and caps. The weather in Alaska is never predictable so be prepared for anything. Layers is a good way to go and get some sweat shirts.

The two pair of tennis shoes is a great idea, that is what we do. Also check the thrift stores for cold weather gear. You will probably find boots and such for kids that also have been worn only once or twice.

Archived