Search for vanilla

KathieP

Okay, I know this sounds silly as a thread title but I know someone here can help me. We're sailing on the Dream at the end of this month. Our ports are Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Cancun. I know I read that vanilla is sold cheaply at one of these ports. I can't remember which port it was and it's driving me nuts looking for it. It wasn't the title of a thread either, it was just an off hand comment. Help!

KathieP-- Cozumel has very good vanilla at a good price; you can also find pear, peach & other fruit extracts. One caution, make sure you are getting real vanilla, as there is a type of counterfeit out there; it's very cheap, but isn't vanilla.-- YAZOO

Roatan: Purchased 3 bottles for $5 US two weeks ago. :D

(Sister purchased some there two years ago and no complaints.)

Cozumel: $2-3 US per bottle. :eek:

The bottles were the same size, about the same size as bottled water.

Just in case you aren't able to pick it up in Cozumel for whatever reason, they most likely will have it in the ship's gift shop - I know they did when I was on the Dawn last month.

I am so envious - I wish I was going on another NCL cruise soon. Have a wonderful time and have a Margarita for me!

richtersl,

Where did you buy the vanilla? Was the store near the pier? We had planned to hire a guide for the day and visit a grocery store for vanilla, but now we are taking the ships canopy tour and I am afraid we won't be anywhere near the stores.

Is there a canopy tour in cozumel?? We're going to one in Roatan. We just finalized our plans for a dolphin encounter in Cozumel at Chankanaab National Park with Cozumel insider and I'm thinking we can do a little shopping first before we head over there. Would love to hear a specific vanilla location, or is it so plentiful I can just get it anywhere? Good to hear that I can use the ship's supply as a back-up!

We're on the Dream but if you are going to the same ports, I'm assuming the excursions would be the same. Just looked on website and at least for the tour I looked at the ports are the same except Cancun is exchanged for Grand Cayman. Anyway, for us the Canopy tour on Roatan is "Tabyana Beach Pary and Canopy Tour", RTB-415, cost is $89 for adults and $79 for kids.

There's a flea market right near the pier that will sells it. You can have your driver drop you off at that flea market and then you can just walk back to your ship from there. This is where my sister had purchased hers.

I had purchased mine at a little tourist market on the opposite side of the island from where you'll be.

If you're going to hire a driver, tell him/her that you want to purchase some vanilla and I'm sure they'll find a place enroute where you can purchase it.

Has anyone noticed that NCL has recently added the "Lost World Canopy Tour" in Belize? It can only be booked on board the ship. My DH and I already have Shark/Ray Alley booked through a local tour operator but have thought about canceling to do the canopy tour.

I think my post caused a lot of confusion!

richtersl,

We aren't going to hire a guide now that the canopy tour is only through the ship. Thanks for letting me know where I can get vanilla close to the pier.

cathyp,

The canopy tour is in Roatan, not Cozumel.

bequia,

Good question. We signed up for the tour (sailing 3/26), but we are waiting to here from others who have done it before we cancel our other plans. We don't want to be in a huge group. I might try calling NCL and asking how many on the tour if I don't here from anyone who has been on it.

I found another thread a coulple of weeks ago that was talking about vanilla. Someone had bought some in Cozumel at a store called Los Cinco Soles and said it was good and safe vanilla. We will try to find this place when we go to Cozumel in the last part of Jan. 05. You could do a search on the name of the store to get more information. Good Luck!:o

Sorry I got off topic before, regarding vanilla in Cozumel you'll find it everywhere seems to be as popular as Mexican blankets. One of the brand names is D'Lis, 100% natural,manufactured in Guadalajara. Across from the NCL pier is the shopping district, we brought home a liter of pure vanilla extract to share with our friends. ;)

When we went to Coz this year we asked our taxi driver to take us to where he would shop, he took us to a grocery store that we would think is a Walmart Supercenter. It sold everything from food to toys, jewelry, beer, clothing, etc. He told us that he never goes down town to shop because it is a "TOURIST TRAP". We bought some vanilla that was in a plastic bottle for less than $3.00 per bottle, it makes great Christmas gifts and the flavor is out of this world, you only have to use 1/2 the amount as our pure vanilla that we have here.

You can buy the vanilla in the Duty Free store at the pier.It costs about $4 and you can pick it up on your way back on board the ship.They also have great prices on booze. They have lots of FREE samples!!!!!!!!I made sure I tried most of them.This is also a great place to pick up those little airline bottles of booze for your room.Just make sure you put them in a seperate bag from the bottles you turn in.

The canopy tour is titled, "Tabyana Beach Party and Canopy Tour" for the NCL Sun. It states:

Come to Tabyana and expreience a breathtaking rush as you defy the laws of gravity by sliding down cable to cable from the ridge of the mountain into a beautiful tropical park...The rush begins as you attach yourself to the cable not knowing what if feels like to be among the birds...tour consists of 11 stretches of cable and 13 stations...afterwards, enjoy Tabyana beach...

I saw great vanilla prices in Cozumel.

Coka

• 2 weeks later...

My main item to purchase while in Mexico was Vanilla, and I can't recall which brand I bought (but it was more expensive than the others), as VANILLA was the first ingredient, not water, so be sure to read the label. We bought ours in the Mexican Riveria, and it was $9 (but it was a large bottle).

Archived