Traveling with other people's kids...

TXMary

My DH and I are taking our two nephews on a cruise in March. We have traveled often with them in the past, usually taking them into Canada. We have always had the notorized letter from both of their parents giving us permission to travel with them and take them into a foreign country. We also carry their birth certificates. We have never had any problems.

What do we need to have in order to take them on a cruise (Western Caribbean)? The notorized letter and their birth certificates. What else? I guess it doesn't matter anymore for the oldest? He will be 18 when we cruise. Do we need anything for him other than his birth certificate or passport if we get them one? The younger one will be 16 when we cruise. What do we need for him? Should we get them passports? DH and I both have them and I think it would make it easier. Not looking for a passport or no passport debate, just info as it pertains to cruising with kids that aren't your own.

Thanks!

I'd verify this information with the cruise line. But we're taking grandchildren on a cruise next March without their parents. Less trouble that way ;) . We will take a notarized travel letter that also allows us to make any medical decision if it becomes necessary. The only documentation we will need is their birth certificates.

It probably wouldn't hurt to take along the name and phone number of their family physician along with the phone number of any health insurance companies the parents may have.

Beth

We're recently back from the Explorer (eastern) and took my son's best friend with us who is 12. We had his passport (although a certified birth certificate would have been fine) and a notarized letter (which they barely glanced at). We had absolutely no problems. This is the letter we had notarized:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILD TO TRAVEL

Date: _____________________

We, <parent's first and last names>, authorize our minor child <child's first and last name> to travel to Miami, Florida on October 30, 2004 aboard Air Tran airlines, flight number 487 and to the Eastern Caribbean from October 31, 2004 through November 7, 2004 aboard the Explorer of the Seas cruise ship. The expected date of return is November 7, 2004 aboard Air Tran airlines flight number 418.

In addition, we authorize <our names> to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed: _________________________________ (Parent)

Signed: _________________________________ (Parent)

Address:

Telephone:

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public, this _______ day of

_____________________, 2004

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Have a great time on your cruise!!

We cruised in Feb 04 with my then 16 y/o daughter and her best friend. I brought a notarized letter giving permission for her to travel as well as authorizing emergency medical care. Your 18 y/o nephew wont need the permission to leave but I would include his name in the part about the emergency medical care, you never know. If they are taking birth certificates they will also need a photo ID. We all traveled with passports and everything went very smoothly. No one ever asked to see the letter, and everyone we encountered assumed the other girl was also our daughter, even when they were looking at her passport with a diff last name. I think getting them passports is a great idea and they will be valid for 10 years.

Thank you everybody. I did finally find some info on the RCCL site that basically said the same thing. We have a ball traveling with these kids. We are so excited to take them on their first cruise! Just wanted to make sure we had all the necessary paperwork. I actually didn't realize until I was in the middle of the post that the oldest will be 18 in a week. I knew it, but he will always be about five to me! It blew me away that I no longer have to worry about him.

We always take "the letter" with us but have only been asked for it once and that was on the ferry from Victoria, BC to Anacortes. I thought maybe things were more strict on water. Everyone always assumes they are our children also. The youngest looks a lot like me. And honestly, I don't offer the info if they don't ask!! Just easier that way.

I have definitely decided to get them passports. It makes everything so much easier and that will start them out right.

Holly, I am plagarizing your form letter. It looks better than mine! LOL

Thanks again everyone!! Happy cruising!

You'll also need to decide about beer and wine for the 18-year old. I'm not sure if it's you or the parents who will need to give permission, but I would imagine it would be your choice as you will be responisble for his behavior, etc. Remember, just because he's 18 doesn't mean that RCI can't make you the responsible party. They aren't obligated to abide by US age requirements.

Just food for thought. I expect that because you've travelled together before that you know he is a well behaved young man, but it never hurts to be prepared.

(It's just amazing how quickly they grow up isn't it?)

beachchick

Here is the required form from American Express via Adobe Reader. http://landfalltravel.com/child.pdf

Regardless whether the cruise line reads it or not, bring it. The ship is not the only place you might need it, especially in a medical emergency.

Also, I am sure these are nice kids but remember there is much more freedom on a ship and temptations and risks in the ports then you likely ever encountered on land vacations.

Archived