Looking for your thoughts on plans for Montreal.

I'm not cruising this trip but have in the past and would really appreciate your thoughts.

I am flying out of Montreal for a trip to the Dominican Republic this summer. So, I will be in Montreal on the way there and back. We fly into Montreal on a Friday afternoon and leave for the Dominican on Saturday morning. For this leg of the trip, I'm looking at booking the Sofitel Hotel. I'm thinking we'll stay in downtown Montreal for this part of the trip and check out St.Catherine Street, etc.

Then, when we come back we will be flying in on Saturday evening and will leave to come home on Monday morning. During this stay, I'm looking at staying at Hotel XIX Siecle. This is the time that we'll spend time in Old Montreal.

This will be our first trip to Montreal and I want to see and do as much as possible in the short amount of time we have. I'm not big into shopping, but would like to check out the underground mall as I think it's a site to see. I obviously also want to experience Old Montreal. What do you think of my plan?

I would just explore Old Montreal. I had a day there last year and we just really wandered the streets. Be sure to see Notre Dame as its beautiful! They offer tours and its something to see. One of my favourite things in Montreal is the food.

Your plans look okay... though short. I suggest you go down to the area around Crescent street for some of the night life.

Incidentally, it's not an underground mall, though it may look like it from the perspective of a visitor. It's really an underground city, where office buildings, some apartments and shopping all meet around the metro. Here is a map http://www.stm.info/English/info/souterrain2008.pdf The tunnels at metro level (as we call it) are in pink.

The Hotel Sofitel is a lovely hotel which we have stayed in a few times. Easy access to many of the sights.

Personally in about 5 minutes you will get your fill of the "underground mall" (which actually there are several since Montreal gets bitter cold in the winter and it a great way for commuters to get around without having to go outside).

As a previous poster said, there are lots of wonderful restaurants and areas in Montreal. Go to Old Montreal for sure as in the summer there is lots to see and do on the waterfront and artists set up stands day and night.

St Laurent Boulevard has nice restaurants and stores and is walking distance (a bit of a walk but walkable).

Go to Eggspectations for some great breakfast (about a block from Hotel Sofitel).

Have Montreal smoked meat at the famous Schwartz's deli on St Laurent (both are walking distance to Hotel Sofitel).

Montreal is a great city, you will love it.

I'm not cruising this trip but have in the past and would really appreciate your thoughts.

I am flying out of Montreal for a trip to the Dominican Republic this summer. So, I will be in Montreal on the way there and back. We fly into Montreal on a Friday afternoon and leave for the Dominican on Saturday morning. For this leg of the trip, I'm looking at booking the Sofitel Hotel. I'm thinking we'll stay in downtown Montreal for this part of the trip and check out St.Catherine Street, etc.

Then, when we come back we will be flying in on Saturday evening and will leave to come home on Monday morning. During this stay, I'm looking at staying at Hotel XIX Siecle. This is the time that we'll spend time in Old Montreal.

This will be our first trip to Montreal and I want to see and do as much as possible in the short amount of time we have. I'm not big into shopping, but would like to check out the underground mall as I think it's a site to see. I obviously also want to experience Old Montreal. What do you think of my plan?

I would centre on Old Montreal and Notre Dame. Once you are in the underground system you can't tell you are inside. I like walking it in February without a jacket just for the thrill, but it won't make a difference in summer.

Viv

You can go to Gibby's in the Old Port, or The Keg both steakhouses. Up the road on St. Laurent, Moshies is a great steakhouse. Have a post dinner drink at Pub St. Paul on Rue St. Paul, also in the Old Port. If you go to Rue Crescent, check out Hurley's Irish Pub.

Archived