Best ship location to park a mathematician?

Ingrid83

Would the "serenity" area be a good place to park a fairly introverted mathematician whose idea of a good time is to work on equations on a bit of paper? Would it be comfortable and quiet and at least give you the feeling of being on the water?

Or are there other good bets? The library? A lounge?

Thanks!

Ingrid 83

Park him in one of the public areas where they show the nautical chart of that region with the ships course plotted on it. If there is a screen that shows the channel with the ships course and progress, that would be great for him. This may backfire if he tries to gain access to the bridge to tell the navigator that the ship's computer or the navigational charts are somehow wrong:D:D:D.

At night, get him a "sextant" and park him up on deck to see if he can navigate by the stars.;)

Would the "serenity" area be a good place to park a fairly introverted mathematician whose idea of a good time is to work on equations on a bit of paper? Would it be comfortable and quiet and at least give you the feeling of being on the water?

Or are there other good bets? The library? A lounge?

Thanks!

Ingrid 83

The library... most assuredly...

Park him in one of the public areas where they show the nautical chart of that region with the ships course plotted on it. If there is a screen that shows the channel with the ships course and progress, that would be great for him. This may backfire if he tries to gain access to the bridge to tell the navigator that the ship's computer or the navigational charts are somehow wrong:D:D:D.

At night, get him a "sextant" and park him up on deck to see if he can navigate by the stars.;)

OMG - you know my husband pretty well, don't you????

He would love either of those choices, but yeah, you're right, we'd probably get thrown off at the first port after he tried to correct the navigation ;-)

Seriously, I am worried he won't have much fun, so I'm hoping he can at least find a comfortable place to be himself....

Ingrid 83

He would love either of those choices, but yeah, you're right, we'd probably get thrown off at the first port after he tried to correct the navigation ;-)

Seriously, I am worried he won't have much fun, so I'm hoping he can at least find a comfortable place to be himself....

Ingrid 83

I enjoy the side decks (3 or 4?) because they are very quiet, out of the sun, but have great views.

Ingrid 83

I am a technical guy myself and thought I would be bored my first cruise. But, I just sat in a window watching the inside passage go by during the day as I drank a cocktail and read my scifi book. Once he relaxes, he will enjoy!!!!

Keep him away from the T&T Buffet.

In the past 30something years, he's hardly even picked up the utensils and napkin at _that_ buffet. So not too worried he'll start now! But thanks for the recc!

Ingrid 83

Ingrid 83

I was wondering why everyone just assumed this was a male.

But, now I know that it is, will he sit there and work mathematical problems? Does he have any other hobbies? Does he like to play cards? If so, maybe you can get up a card game in the game room.

I am a high school mathematics teacher and I enjoy sitting by one of the windows (or sitting up on the deck, overlooking the ocean), reading a book. But, I don't claim to be a mathematician....just a student of mathematics.

I was wondering why everyone just assumed this was a male.

But, now I know that it is, will he sit there and work mathematical problems? Does he have any other hobbies? Does he like to play cards? If so, maybe you can get up a card game in the game room.

I am a high school mathematics teacher and I enjoy sitting by one of the windows (or sitting up on the deck, overlooking the ocean), reading a book. But, I don't claim to be a mathematician....just a student of mathematics.

The OP's name being Ingrid gave it away for me.

The OP's name being Ingrid gave it away for me.

Well, she may have been talking about her girlfriend or sister. Or, maybe herself. I honestly did not know she was speaking of her husband until she mentioned it.

(Not trying to argue, just commenting as to why I didn't automatically think it was a male, but everyone else did.)

Well, she may have been talking about her girlfriend or sister. Or, maybe herself. I honestly did not know she was speaking of her husband until she mentioned it.

(Not trying to argue, just commenting as to why I didn't automatically think it was a male, but everyone else did.)

I played the odds. ;)

I enjoy the side decks (3 or 4?) because they are very quiet, out of the sun, but have great views.

That would be my recommendation also . . . most likely the same deck you initially boarded on. Seldom anyone out there and its close to the sea and has excellent views. I sometimes go down there during the afternoon and if lounges are available . . . sleep like a baby. :D

That would be my recommendation also . . . most likely the same deck you initially boarded on. Seldom anyone out there and its close to the sea and has excellent views. I sometimes go down there during the afternoon and if lounges are available . . . sleep like a baby. :D

I know that on the Princess ship I was on there were huge cooling vents blasting out cold air in certain areas. It was great sitting outside in the caribbean heat yet being cooled at the same time.

That's called GENDER BIAS. Most people automatically think a mathematician would be a male. Isn't always true, of course, just like all NURSES aren't females. :D

My husband is also a real introvert and I worried too. We got a balcony which was nice. The problem with the library is that it is not always open- on the Conquest it was open about an hour a day:confused: Would suggest keeping him away from the promenade the first night- my husband was ready to jump ship with the noise! In fact the noise was his biggest complaint- and it is true that there is a lot of it! This may be your biggest challenge. We found one of the bars which had quiet music in the evenings, until the night they didn't.And we went to the afternoon teas which were very low keyed. but my husband had a pleasant enough time that he would do it again- and I cannot ask for more than that.

Archived