Driving to Peggy's Cove...Halifax, NS

:)We will be in Halifax on Sun. Oct. 18 and we were thinking of renting a car and driving to Peggy's Cove...Princess offers an excursion for 3.5 hrs and states the ride is 1hr each way so that doesnt really pique my interest..I was thinking driving down, taking in the sites..lunch at the Cove and maybe stop off at other little villages/towns on our way back..the ship is in port from 9-6..thanks for any input..

The drive is around an hour I think. Peggy;s Cove is nice although I prefer Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. That may be too far to drive and come back for you though. Its no trouble to find your way to Peggy;s Cove in a rental though.

It would be about 50-60 minutes. For the first 30 minutes you would be getting out of the city and then driving on highway. After you exit the highway the drive is nicer as it goes along St. Margarets bay and this part takes about 20-30 miutes.

I am from Nova Scotia and think you have two choices for your day in Halifax: 1. stay there and walk along the waterfront, etc. There is lots to see in Halifax. 2. If you have not seen quaint scenic rocky coastline areas, then rent a car and take the back roads to Peggys Cove and on to Mahone Bay if you have the time.

Check out the following threads on tripadvisor. For more details, contact the poster 'blondie' in the second thread, who knows the area well.

Archived