Staterooms facing the elevators

sssung

Yes, the closer you are to the elevators/stairs the more noise you'll notice. Its not the elevators themselves that are the source of the noise, its the people on their way to/from the elevator. This gets to be a bigger problem on a Disney cruise with its higher percentage of children on board.

Also depends on time of day and part of ship. If you are closer to the midships elevators, which are normally busier than the other 2, you ll hear even more.

Especially just before show times and dinner times and after as more people are moving around in the same area.

I am actually a noise fanatic and a very light sleeper. I have had a room facing the elevators on my last two DCL cruises. I loved the convenience and never noticed any noise. I was actually very surprised. Though, I am sure it will change cruise to cruise.

I do think it depends on who's on the cruise (which will obviously vary) and which set of elevators. The midship elevators get the most traffic.

The aft elevators get quite a bit of traffic right at mealtimes, and it tends to be chatty traffic at the start of dinner. Folks finish their meals at different speeds, though, so the end of meals tend to be quieter. No loud chatting around the elevators then.

The forward elevators are pretty quiet, other than right before a show or right at the first time slot for disembarkation at ports--so not at times where you're as likely to be sleeping. Whenever we were near the forward elevators, it was extremely quiet.

Our room was very close to the midship elevators (one off the elevator lobby) last time we were on the Magic. The only time it bothered us was when a particular group of teens were playing some sort of tag up and down the stairs. Teens tend to be the loudest, because they're on their own. So if there are a lot of teens on your cruise, it may be louder.

We found that most little kids were pretty quiet because they were with parents and the parents kept them quiet while in the hallways.

I'm a VERY light sleeper, and the only time I was bothered were on the two nights where the teens ran amok on the stairs. It didn't last long, thankfully! Once a CM quieted them down, and the other time they disappeared to another activity.

We were in room 6588 which is directly across from the self service laundry. Our room always smelled like dryer sheets (which was okay), it was always warm even with the A/C on the lowest setting (two days in to the cruise we started putting a towel under the door), people seemed to gather at the entrance and carry on lengthy conversations at all hours. One day I was trying to take a nap and a "darling toddler" decided to continually knock on my door with a toy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE kids of all ages and realize that it was the parent's fault for not paying attention. I asked the Mom twice to try to stop her daughter from banging on the door, and finally gave up the third time and went to the lounge chairs on deck 4.:rolleyes:

Archived