Somewhat disappointed with kids club (Royal Caribbean)

gt95stang

We sailed the Voyager during Easter break and had a wonderful experience at Adventure Ocean. It really does depend on the children and the types of activities they like. My granddaughters are more into the other children they meet and thus the exact activity did not make much difference as long as they had their new friends there. No one really paid much attention to the schedule of activities, but I do know that they did stick to some sort of schedule because if we picked them up just short of the hour or half hour, they were in the middle of something and the girls did not want to leave. And they seemed to know what was coming next and still did not want to leave. They were in the 6-8 yr olds and perhaps it does not take that much to keep them entertained. The rooms was never crowded. I have a feeling each sailing has its own dynamics and it's hard to define a program by just one experience. Our girls wanted to spend as much time there as they could and never wanted to leave.

Royal Carribean--Gaga ball, from what I saw was personally terrifying as a parent to see. It was not just hunched over ball on the floor. It was more like flying balls being thrown at people. And our 4 year old had to walk through the older age room to get out of her room. The one thing I did not like was that the older kids were always playing gaga ball. Every time I picked up my kids, so it made you really wonder if they did anything else. You are not allowed in the room so you really can't see what goes on. You mush wait in line to check out your child. And, my little one never brought out anything she did. I was not really impressed with RC's kids program. The only other line we've been on is Princess and I, as a parent, have been very pleased every time my kids go to that kids program.

Royal Carribean--Gaga ball, from what I saw was personally terrifying as a parent to see. It was not just hunched over ball on the floor. It was more like flying balls being thrown at people. And our 4 year old had to walk through the older age room to get out of her room. The one thing I did not like was that the older kids were always playing gaga ball. Every time I picked up my kids, so it made you really wonder if they did anything else. You are not allowed in the room so you really can't see what goes on. You mush wait in line to check out your child. And, my little one never brought out anything she did. I was not really impressed with RC's kids program. The only other line we've been on is Princess and I, as a parent, have been very pleased every time my kids go to that kids program.

What ship because this is not the case on all of them? The smaller kids do not have to walk through the older kids rooms on the RCCL ships that we have been on. They had their own entrance (Freedom Class)

My oldest was in the 6-8 year old room and GagaBall was her favorite thing. She despises dodge ball so gaga ball can't be that bad. And I know they asked to play it often.

I was able to see into both rooms on both Freedom and Indy since each side had it's own entrance so that's why I am asking what ship?

What ship because this is not the case on all of them? The smaller kids do not have to walk through the older kids rooms on the RCCL ships that we have been on. They had their own entrance (Freedom Class)

And just as an FYI, on Radiance, the younger ones have a physically separate area that opens directly to the checkin desk. It did not have full-to-the-ceiling walls, but still was a separate area. Voyager had a similar arrangement but the younger kid area was a separate room -- one could access AO from either the video arcade or the outside deck. You'd end up in a smallish "waiting area" with the checkin desk. Don't recall the arrangement on Splendour (DD was in the teen room on our last cruise)

My oldest was in the 6-8 year old room and GagaBall was her favorite thing. She despises dodge ball so gaga ball can't be that bad. And I know they asked to play it often.

Yes, my very-much-hates-any-competitive physical activity DD earned a medal at age 8 as Ga-ga ball "champion". So unless the sport has morphed considerably since then -- knowing my DD, I have to believe it is non-hazzardous. :)

Sorry you didn't have a great experiance. We sailed on ExOS after Thanksgiving '08. It was a 12 night cruise and our kids loved the clubs! We homeschool hence the time and length that we went. ;) And honestly, I would never sail when the ship would be crowded with kids, based on stories I've read on CC. Our kids were 9,9,7,& 5. There were only 90 kids on board those 2wks (most toddlers/infants). Compared to the 800+ that came off before us!!! There was never more than 10 kids in the clubs at anytime, so it was just perfect IMO. The kids had others to play with but they also got personal attention. For the most part, they stuck to the schedule but did also do what the kids wanted. They brought home TONS of crafts, papers and projects they made. :) I do think it varies by ship, time of cruise, etc as to what experiance everyone has.

we were on Navigator in the med last November and i was very disappointed with their AO also. my boys are 6 and 10 and while they still enjoyed it, sometimes it was a bit too much like school and not fun. i thought considering they only had about 20 kids they were very rigid in what the kids could do. the staff were quite unpleasant ...maybe they were tired after a long summer....but hey thats not my fault. we had done Brilliance the year before and it was slightly better....but one of the reasons were cruised was for the kids to have a great time as well, so i think that they really should improve the service.

All right, you guys are scaring me. We just got off the Easter cruise on the Disney Magic. My kids, 11, 8, & 5, had a blast. Each section had about a dozen counselors each (or more) at any time. And each section was large enough that several activities could be going on at any one time. The clubs were open from 6am to 1am every day and did not close for meal times or ports of call. There was even an area on Castaway Cay where you could sign your kids in for the clubs. With that said, I would like to cruise to places that Disney does not go (my oldest wants to go to Bermuda). I have cruised with RCCL before for my honeymoon and like the line, but now I'm not sure that my kids would like it especially since they have already been on Disney. Sounds like the other cruise lines need to take notes from Disney since they seem to do it right. On other lines, especially on the older ships, it seems that the kids clubs are more of an afterthought.

Sounds like the other cruise lines need to take notes from Disney since they seem to do it right. On other lines, especially on the older ships, it seems that the kids clubs are more of an afterthought.

You are half right. ;) Most of the people who do RCCL alot with kids have said that the OP's experience was the exception not the rule.

My youngest (age 5) just cried when she found out that our next cruise isn't Royal Caribbean. And she has been on Disney twice. Yet she cried for Royal Caribbean. ;)

Disney allows the kids to run around and do different activities, as you observed. Royal tries to keep all of the kids going in the same direction, so to speak. So when they are practicing for the pirate parade, then EVERYONE is practicing for the pirate parade. They don't want half the kids playing on the computers. And the same for the other activities.

The majority of the posts on this thread had NO problems with RCCL Adventure Ocean. I plan on doing Explorer Bermuda next year (if I can get it worked out). So you aren't making a wrong choice. Because if I said you were, then I must be too. :D

We traveled on Freedom of the Seas the week of Christmas in 2007 and Mariner of the Seas the week of New Years in 2008. Our son was 4 and 5 years of age, respectively.

Both times, the ships were full of children, but we did not encounter any negative experiences in AO. They pretty much followed the itinerary and our son loved the pirate parade, circus and alien scavenger hunt on the Mariner.

He is laid back and easy going and did not mind following the schedule, but I would assume that the staff at AO should be used to children who don't want to participate in the scheduled activity and supervise them doing something else.

OP - it sounds as if there was not enough staffing to supervise and interact with the number of children in the AO while you were on board. I do hope that you noted that in a comment card to the cruise line.

I hope your child's next experience with a cruise kid's club is a better one.

Ok so here is another question...we had a HORRIBLE experience with Carnvial Celebration when our kids were 5. They were stuck in a room with crying babies and all they seemed to do was color!

WE are trying to find a cheap option for us...we had planned on FOS, but our friends just backed out....so we are not going as a couple and will bring the kids.

IT is way to expensive to take them on the FOS in the summer...so I was looking at Carnival Liberty vs RCCL Enchantment of the Seas.

My twins are now 7....has Carnival gotten any better? Would a little shipt like Enchantment of the Seas have enough for them to do??

Please HELP...my final payment is due TODAY so I have to make a choice ASAP!!

• 10 months later...

Just change the sailing to Thanksgiving 2009 and the original post from gt95stang could have been written by me! Oh, and in addition the staff to child ration was even worse on our sailing! We have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. They each spent 1 hour in their respective camp and refused to return (they only spent 1 hour because it looked so unsafe and unruly in those rooms I just couldn't have them stay there another minute. I spent more time checking them in and out than they spent there). Yes, it was a holiday and school vacation week. I knew there would be tons of kids on board. Royal Caribbean knew that too, and did not staff accordingly. Seems it's an ongoing issue with them... we will not be sailing with them again. (We have sailed twice before on Disney during holiday/vacation periods and never experienced a situation like this.)

As much as I would have liked to book a Disney cruise for their kid-friendly activities, it just wasn't in the budget. I am still in shock after booking our RCCL FOS 11/21 sail today. :eek:

I really want to thank the OP for this thread, because I'd heard only the great stuff so far about AO and wasn't sure what our experience would be, since we are going over the Thanksgiving holiday. This helps me understand what the kids will be expected to do/not do, and I'll be able to prepare them.

Just change the sailing to Thanksgiving 2009 and the original post from gt95stang could have been written by me!

You had to look for a thread from a year ago in order to find someone who was displeased with Royal Caribbean. :eek:

I am not saying you were digging for dirt, but come on, a year.

We were on the Grandeur a couple of years ago. Our experience was Ok, food was pretty good,kids loved the rock wall, shows were fair, room was pretty large. I found the kids club really inflexible. My daughter was 8 almost nine a very mature and tall 8 and unfortunately her cousin was 9 and her brother was 10 and RCI was really rigid about allowing her to bump up to the 8-10 year old group. I mean she was stuck with tiny kids doing really young activities and could not have fun with her brother and cousin. Finally after I complained they said that she would have to spend two sessions with the 6-8 year olds so they could observe her and see if she would qualify to be bumped up. These were 2 hour sessions where she was not with her cousin or brother.Did they really need to observe her for this duration? After requiring her to do this she was finally allowed to bump up but I think the kids were all so upset that they only went to one more activity.This was a short 5 day cruise. It just left a really bad taste in my mouth about this line. I have felt like Princess bends over backwards to try to make you happy. Did not feel the love from RCI.

Public schools in the US can begin summer vacation anywhere from mid-May (as they do down here) to late June (as they did when I taught in NJ). I think you can expect a good (but not overwhelming) number of kids on cruises during these dates.

Princess bends over backwards to try to make you happy. Did not feel the love from RCI.

I think you've hit my feelings right on. I have found Princess and Disney to be very accommodating with their children's programs. Celebrity is reasonably so, as is Holland America. But RCI is extremely rigid, You do things the way they've set it up *exactly by the book* OR ELSE. That's not the way to have kids enjoy their vacation, and that means the parents don't enjoy their vacation either.

But RCI is extremely rigid, You do things the way they've set it up *exactly by the book* OR ELSE. That's not the way to have kids enjoy their vacation, and that means the parents don't enjoy their vacation either.

Wow - we haven't had that experience. Ours was more the opposite where DD complains about a ship's kid's program allowing "little kids" in the "big kids" activities. Once on an NCL cruise and more lately in the teen program on X. You and or your kid may think that they are "mature" but I rely upon a third-party to make that determination -- I appreciate that RCCI goes through the trouble other lines do not. RCCI's AO staff does request the opportunity to observe the child before allowing a move. Nothing is a bigger killjoy for a group of kids than having an immature kid horning in on their activities.

You must also realize that on some cruises the number of kids in an age group and/or the mix of staff in AO may prohibit or restrict moves.

I think it's a little sad for someone to sabotage their own vacation before it even takes place - just by virtue of a thread on cc. Like cruise ship food and entertainment, the kids' clubs are largely subjective. For every one cruiser who swears by Disney, you'll find six others that swear by another line. Every kid is different (and so are each parents' expectations, for that matter). My kids respond well to a structured environment (they're Catholic school kids, so they're used to it :rolleyes:) - and quite frankly, unless the ratios are 1:1, I don't know how a cruiseline can possibly handle each kid wanting to do their own thing :confused:. I've always let my kids decide for each cruise, whether or not they want to use the kids'clubs (they always have, but if they didn't, for whatever reason, I wouldn't consider it a ruined vacation.)

We've cruised several times on NCL - always during spring break with tons of kids, and have had wonderful, memorable experiences in the Kids' Crew. We are leaving Sunday on Royal Carribean (Liberty), and anticipate a similar experience in Adventure Ocean. I'm sorry that the OP had what she feels is a bad experience with AO, but I will reserve any feelings of "doom & gloom" until I get there myself.

I have only good experiences with the Kids club, Princess and RCI.

My two travels were in late September and we went to Europe, we didn't have many kids in the ship, the clubs were not full at all, sometimes we had more counselors than kids in the club. Probably the higher number was 5 kids. They had a very special attention and activities were very flexible. It is true that in RCI they didn't follow the schedule, but I suppose that was hard with few kids, they visited a lot the bridge (?) and spent a lot of time with he crew, and they loved, my daughter knew the captain better than anybody in the ship and have a lot of officers and crew members stopping at dinner to talk to her, she felt so special....My DD really didn't want to leave the club and was always begging to go back there.

So I was one of those that posted "your kids will love it, they won't want to leave", but was really my experience.

We are planning (prying…) a cruise this summer. I’m expecting a lot of kids now; I hope that my DD has a good experience in the kid club this time too. We are thinking in Disney, so my expectations are very high, we’ll see.

Archived