Don't let this board scare you, take a walk around Belize City!

gt95stang

There are decent neighborhoods in Cleveland including mine which safe and well kept. True there are bad areas and I avoid them.

Exactly the point! The area outside the pier complex is heavily patrolled by the tourist police. The museum, market, cathedral etc. are all fine, not saying you wouldn't fall victim to a pickpocket etc. but that can happen anywhere, Tower City, the Q (go Cavs) etc.

It all boils down to personal perceptions. A friend from Shanghai, when he first moved here was scared to death when when took him to a family farm in Southern Ohio, but would gladly open his wallet to a panhandler in downtown Detroit:eek: The bandits in China are in the rural areas.

As a former U.S. Virgin Islands resident, I can tell you Caribbean port residents are among the friendliest most helpful people. Greet them with a smile, and they go out of there way to help you.

It looks like a dump....not any place I would want to walk around.

Then you shouldn't, but some of us like experiencing different cultures and don't always equate poverty with criminals. Sometimes, if one takes the time to get to know the people who live in these countries, they'll find they are proud human beings just like the rest of us. With the money they make selling their wares to tourist, maybe one day their homes will be as nice as ours. Calling their homes a dump is just rude.

Don't be offended. We're not being rude. Some of us just aren't comfortable in Belize and there's probably good reason for it.

It's funny how you can look at "official" tour guides, and they refer to places like the town of Belize as "quaint" and "original". Apparently they forgot about dirty and filthy?? LOL

Gotta love CC folks for the honest truth!

We also enjoyed the cave tubing in Belize but would have to agree with other posters that Belize City is not pleasant.You really need to do an excursion there.

Belize has a nice, but cookie-cutter port area. A number of shops, restaurants and bars. Just outside the fence which protects the port area are numerous vendors where you can find many of the same things for much less, if you dare. It is filthy and the people are very aggressive in trying to get you to buy.

It looks like a dump....not any place I would want to walk around.

Unfortunatly this dump is where these people live. One reason why I cruise is to have the opportunity to visit places like this. its the taste of others culture and way of life that fulfills mine while allowing me to enjoy the finer things like the beautiful sea and great food on the ship.

Certainly to eachs own, we all travel for different reasons. But what one views as a dump may be a goldmine to others. I always challenge myself and others to open minded as what may appear un-inviting may provide you with the greatet reward.

I will never forget my time in Roatan with my 10yr old son. We stood on the only dirt road in the area, small shack like shops/homes/hotels. Really not a whole lot to brag about but what I take from that day is watching my son interact with a Honduran boy his age. the honduran boy had a wooden instrument that he wanted to sell. The interaction was priceless. Had I chose to stay on the ship we would have missed this wonderful time.

Be smart in your journeys as safety is always first but be open minded to what a wonderful and fulfilling journey your cruise can hold

Chalk me up as another one who enjoys Belize City. I found the people very friendly and a simple 'no thank you' was all I needed for the pushier vendors.

The best hospitality, food, and service often came from little out of the way places that many would sadly classify as dumps. No, it isn't Disney World outside the port gates, but it is where a whole city full of real people live.

Its funny, the first time we went to Belize (2005) we somehow missed the speech stating that if you dare to go outside the gated area you will be mugged, kidnapped, raped etc. We just wandered out all on our own.

Spent several hours meeting locals and shopping for locally-made crafts. It was a really wonderful day.

It wasn't till we returned to the ship that we were informed that we were taking our lives on our hands. Sure couldn't tell there was anything to be deathly afraid of.

Archived