View of Gatun Locks, Panama from Land Tour

JoeO

Has anyone visited the Gatun Locks in Panama via a land tour?

I understand that there are 79 steps to the observation facility and visitors center.

Can the locks and ships passing thru be observed (and photographed) with some degree of success from ground level without climbing the steps?

Any comment or description will be gratefully appreciated.

Joe O

Yes you can see much without climbing the steps but climbing would be better. We were on Coral Princess in 2003 and got to see her coming back through the locks. I will try to attach a few pictures taken from the viewing area at the top of the steps.

There is an observation area with seats in front of the locks. My mom stayed in that area and had a fine view. My husband and I climbed the steps, and while it does give you a better view, it's not like you'll miss the experience. In fact, when I went back downstairs to sit with my mom I got better pictures because you were in front of the ships. You just could not see the gates. I'll try to post some pictures so you can see what I mean. And the the seated (no steps) area is right in front of the bathrooms, so it is convenient.

Thank you so much for your comments.

We've sailed thru the locks in better days but now my wife is wheelchair bound and our ship will only dock in in Colon (not sail into the canal).

My plan is to privately hire a tour (taxi) to show us some sites and get some photo opportunities from the land perspective.

Thanks again.

Joe O

Joe O ,I have been to Panama 2 times in the last 5 years but the last time I was there I was told that they were going to build another set of locks near the Gatun Locks.I don't know if they have started the construction yet but might be something to check into. Be sure to ride thru the old army barracks which are right there near the locks. I know you will have a great trip and I hope your wife will be able to see a good part of the locks.

check out this site

http://www.com/.pancanaleng/photo/camera-java.html

Fierball.....Thanks for the tip.

I think my plan now is to privately hire a tour taxi (gov't licensed) and visit Gatun Locks, some old U.S. installations and an historical site or two.

If I can get a few photos along the way I'll be well satisfied.

Thanks again.

Joe O

Archived