Would you swap 1002 for 0266 on the Sun?

littlestars

That's a hard decision! I've been in both forward and aft cabins on the Sun and love them both.

Yes, there will be soot on the balcony of 0266 (we were in 0067, right next door), but it is more protected from the wind. Just be sure they wipe down the furniture before sitting on it.

Yes, it is windy at the front of the ship (we were in 8002), but I'd still choose the forward cabin over the aft cabin. I am probably among the few who would make that choice, but I love to see where I'm headed, and with a forward cabin, you are the king of the world! And those balconies are huge. It is wonderful being out on your balcony as the ship is headed into port. Just tell your parents to dress warmly if they want to be outside during sea days.

DH and I were just discussing this topic the other day. We have an aft minisuite, and we're going to be visiting Boston and Quebec City, among others on our next cruise. Unless we leave our cabin and go to the front of the ship, we won't see either city as we approach. It will be dark as we leave both, so at least we'll get to see the cities with their lights on. :)

If we're offered an upsell to a forward suite, we're probably going to jump at it!

We were also in 8002 on the Sun to Alaska. Most days it was too windy to fully enjoy the balcony. Also, at night you can't open your curtains if you have a light on in your cabin as it interferes with the bridge. There is a blue light you can turn on if you are on the balcony and need a bit of light. It is also not fully covered so it it rains you would loose about 3/4 of the use of your balcony.

Have also stayed in 0066 on the Sun for a coastal cruise (didn't really notice any soot) and 1006 for Alaska (a side balcony) and and we got alot more use out of both of those balconies compared to the forward facing one.

Not for me but for my parents...

Have read that the forward cabins are windy but the aft ones might get soot?

Alaska is the destination :D

I have sailed the Sun twice , both times in an aft cabin.

I cant help with the forward cabin , but for Alaska I would try and stay out of the wind.

That said , I have yet to expierence the soot issue people speak of in the Stern. Im sure it could happen but I think its a wind and weather problem they may cuase that. All I can say is " I would take the aft cabin without a second thought... Have fun;)

Not for me but for my parents...

Have read that the forward cabins are windy but the aft ones might get soot?

Alaska is the destination :D

My family had the two forward mini's on the Sun for the Western Caribbean. (I'm pretty sure we had the cabin you're talking about but I'm too lazy to pull up the Sun's deck plan - LOL)

I loved the Sun - and our cabins. While it was a bit windy, there's nothing that can compare to feeling as if you're "king of the world" every time you step foot on your balcony. And though I've never cruised Alaska (yet!) I bet the views from these cabins are absolutely gorgeous.

I have sailed the Sun twice , both times in an aft cabin.

I cant help with the forward cabin , but for Alaska I would try and stay out of the wind.

That said , I have yet to expierence the soot issue people speak of in the Stern. Im sure it could happen but I think its a wind and weather problem they may cuase that. All I can say is " I would take the aft cabin without a second thought... Have fun;)

I would imagine the soot problem is much more prevalent on the Norway Deck, as that's the top one with aft cabins. The white furniture was covered with years of soot that couldn't be completely cleaned off. It was also all over the blue decking material that they use to cover the aft balconies (at least on that deck). There was even some soot stain on the carpet right in front of the slider. We took beach towels and covered the lounger and chair before we sat on them.

Even with the soot, I absolutely LOVED that aft minisuite and wouldn't hesitate a second to book it again, unless I decided to book a forward cabin, LOL. :D

Archived