New Orleans cruising

avabrooke

The same. The guys with the carts to help with luggage.

It won't help you get off of the ship earlier than whatever your number is, but it will get you through immigration/customs faster in just about any port. I think those are the lines people are talking about.

If you want off the ship earlier, get appropriate luggage tags (have a convincing story) from the purser and/or you might also try your cabin steward, although it really isn't the stewards job.

Personally, I like to take my time with breakfast, etc., and not rush to leave the ship, but once I'm off, I'm ready to go and the porters/sea caps are the way to geaux for me. :)

Thanks! Depending on whether I'm ready to go or not, we may just wait it out until the lines die down and have one last meal before we disembarkate. That might be wise traveling with a 1 year old. He will NOT be happy waiting in a long line for over an hour...and neither will mama and daddy :-)

Thanks! Depending on whether I'm ready to go or not, we may just wait it out until the lines die down and have one last meal before we disembarkate. That might be wise traveling with a 1 year old. He will NOT be happy waiting in a long line for over an hour...and neither will mama and daddy :-)

And make sure you get the porter BEFORE you get your luggage. To try to do so afterwards is harder as everyone else is trying to grab them.

Dave

Sea caps, porter, whatever... they were nowhere to be found. We even waited a few minutes to see if one would show up. The lines were horrible and I have cruised N.O. a few times and they are always slow. Sometimes worse than others, but always slow. Last time it was miserable. They had like 5 porters for the whole cruise. We eventually saw a few of them, but seriously, it looked like no more than 10 total, if that.

I've never had a problem getting one. As mentioned above, don't look for your luggage first (mine will always be at number 1), find a porter first.

It's first come, first served.

Having cash dripping out of your pockets might help. They might follow the scent of money.

As for immigration/customs, I've never had a line more that 3 or 4 ahead of me. As for New Orleans as a port, you could do much worse.

Archived