Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

I will repeat what I said previously, in nautical terms. Its a case of

"rats deserting a sinking ship" - you've enjoyed the perks and freebies in the past!! Now try and find these elsewhere!! I wish you luck!!!

It just doesn't exist on other cruise lines - compromise is the name of the game in this economic climate. RCCL have done that - they listened. But only free drinks will satisfy most on here!! Not about the free drinks? Don't make me laugh!!:D:D Certainly not everyone, but despite all they say, about 95%!!!!

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pay 75%.... The only place to get a cood Cup of coffee (what about Seattles Best .. oops there a chrrge)...

The best is "Let's force the company into bankruptsy!"... Great Idea, then the capacity will reduce by almost 40 ships worldwide and we'll all be paying what a suite costs for an inside deck 2 cabin on Carnival :eek: That'll fix'em...

It's not about what you get for free. RCI met us half way. Please, If you can't live with the change, then change lines. At least those of us who will continue to cruise on RCL will will not have to hear all of this bickering and will enjoy ourselves.

First of all I will admit that I do not drink, but I do frequent the CL as a Diamond Member whenever it is available to me. I also remember that all of its amemities are just perks that people who paid alot of money for their staterooms are sharing with us. Until we became Diamond Members we were left to fend for ourselves; buying our own drinks and getting help from the Pursers Desk. Now, many of us, have taken a sufficient number of cruises to obtain certain priviliges. It is my opinion that since we do not pay for the priviliges of the CL, then we should have something less. The plan that was suggested takes care of many of our onboard problems, just scaled down. If you want CL priviliges, then book a suite.

My bigger problem is the taking away of the combination of benefits. Not being able to use my Shareholder OBC and any C&A coupons when I use my balcony discount, has impacted my planning. If I could use at least one of the other 2, I could save alot of money.

But my point is, try to remember when you started cruising. You paid for everything. There were no freebies. Appeciate what RCI has given you. It is my recommendation and I believe their plan that all ships eventually have a DL & CL. Right now the VC will be used for the DL at certain times. At least that is a step in the right direction. And for those of you still complaining about free drinks, please know that the following is made with my tongue in cheek:"I really don't know why RCI doesn't give me a free suite, after all, I have sailed on 10 cruises with RCI"

Good Sailing, Murf

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pay 75%.... The only place to get a cood Cup of coffee (what about Seattles Best .. oops there a chrrge)...

The best is "Let's force the company into bankruptsy!"... Great Idea, then the capacity will reduce by almost 40 ships worldwide and we'll all be paying what a suite costs for an inside deck 2 cabin on Carnival :eek: That'll fix'em...

It's not about what you get for free. RCI met us half way. Please, If you can't live with the change, then change lines. At least those of us who will continue to cruise on RCL will will not have to hear all of this bickering and will enjoy ourselves.

Another good post/observation.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pay 75%.... The only place to get a cood cup of coffee (what about seattles best .. Oops there a chrrge)...

the best is "let's force the company into bankruptsy!"... Great idea, then the capacity will reduce by almost 40 ships worldwide and we'll all be paying what a suite costs for an inside deck 2 cabin on carnival :eek: That'll fix'em...

it's not about what you get for free. Rci met us half way. Please, if you can't live with the change, then change lines. At least those of us who will continue to cruise on rcl will will not have to hear all of this bickering and will enjoy ourselves.

:d:d:d:d:d

Our goal is to earn your advocacy

Just a note to all who were so horrified by the thought that the Royal Champion program had encouraging positive word of mouth as a goal, and didn't believe me when I said that it was also one of the primary goals of the older loyalty programs, here they come right out and say it.

(Also recall that I consider the RC program benign at worst, and more likely over all a positive thing, foot-in-mouth disease at a marketing conference notwithstanding.)

I agree that the ship's bartenders should be able to make non-alcoholic mixed drinks, but that has not been our experience. During the Captain's reception and past passenger receptions, passengers all around us order well drinks and various mixed drinks of their preference, yet when we request a non-alcoholic mixed drink, the only drink that the bartenders seem to know how to make is the rumless fruit punch, which is quite sour as it consists primarily of a mixture of grapefruit juice and orange juice. Even when requesting something specific and simple, such as a non-alcoholic Sunrise (sans tequila), the answer is that the bartenders don't know how to make that.

Until approximately three years ago, you could get "blender" drinks at the C & A past passenger reception. The bartenders knew how to make virgin daquiris and margaritas. However, about that time period, the decison was made by Royal Caribbean that those were "too loud" to allow to be made at the past passenger reception. Yet the well drinks and various made to order mixed alcoholic drinks were freely poured and made.

Blender drinks are allowed to be served at the Diamond/Diamond Plus Event and thus the only shipboard event in which complimentary non-alcoholic mixed drinks are served is this Diamond/Diamond Plus event.

Since this new Diamond VIP nightly reception with wine and champagne is going to take the place of the Diamond/Diamond Plus event, it is only fair that some complimentary non-alcoholic mixed drinks are also offered, not just soda. There are a lot of people who cannot drink alcoholic beverages for a variety of reasons, including medical restrictions.

Bestyl, I hope that your response is meant to be tongue in cheek, since there is no such thing as a virgin martini. But since there is non-alcoholic wine, I cannot actually tell whether you are joking. But I cannot imagine why anyone would object to complimentary non-alcoholic beverages being offered, especially since this would not affect your being offered alcoholic wine and champagne.

Yes - tongue in cheek -- and I was the grocery store today (Tom Thumb), in the vegetable/fruit section of all things, and spotted non-alcoholic wine - I think it was a zinfendel (sp)! I haven't read all 25 pages of this thread, but the point I was making is that I can live without the free drinks -- we've only been diamond members for 1 cruise and my husband ordered some kind of high-end scotch that wasn't free anyway -- but that hopefully my favorite cruise line will not instead starte offering free non-alcoholic-wine or free virgin martinis (or virgin-anything else) and call that a "perk.";)

Yes - tongue in cheek -- and I was the grocery store today (Tom Thumb), in the vegetable/fruit section of all things, and spotted non-alcoholic wine - I think it was a zinfendel (sp)! I haven't read all 25 pages of this thread, but the point I was making is that I can live without the free drinks -- we've only been diamond members for 1 cruise and my husband ordered some kind of high-end scotch that wasn't free anyway -- but that hopefully my favorite cruise line will not instead starte offering free non-alcoholic-wine or free virgin martinis (or virgin-anything else) and call that a "perk.";)

(off topic for a bit)

Wow! I have not heard of a Tom Thumb grocery store in years!!! I am from West Texas (born in Odessa but raised here in Houston) and I remember seeing these stores in that town. Although to most, a grocery store is not a big thing but just bringing back the memories of it certainly takes me back home.

(ok, back to original post).:)

I find it amusing that Royal Caribbean builds these new ships to hold 4,000 to 5,000 people then complains about.... Over Crowding !!!

hahahahaha !!! :D:eek::rolleyes::)

I haven't heard of any overcrowding issues on the Oasis or the Allure. Matter of fact, there was a notice posted earlier (I believe originating from Richard Fain) that he just took a tour of the construction of the new ship and mentioned the new Lounges being constructed. If you are regarding to "over crowding" on previous ships, yes, that is a problem but certainly that shouldn't be twisted into the newer ships you crossreference above.

You really do enjoy "stirring the pot" don't you?

(off topic for a bit)

Wow! I have not heard of a Tom Thumb grocery store in years!!! I am from West Texas (born in Odessa but raised here in Houston) and I remember seeing these stores in that town. Although to most, a grocery store is not a big thing but just bringing back the memories of it certainly takes me back home.

(ok, back to original post).:)

I think it's also known as "Safeway."

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best is "Let's force the company ....

I post to neither agree nor disagree with your message. I thought it necessary to post a sample of your large letters only as an illustration. I quote from Cruise Critic guidelines:

"Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many, so please double check your caps lock key before posting."

I believe extremely large letters, capital or lower case, have the same shouting effect. I also believe it detracts from your message. Please, please use regular size letters. Thank you.

Bob

Bingo!

Reposted Sorry:(

Bingo!

Pay 75%.... The only place to get a cood Cup of coffee (what about Seattles Best .. oops there a charge)...

Reposted Sorry:(

Isn't that post #1 on this thread? :)

(this is response to the question of D receptions on non-CL ships, and can D+ and suites attend)

No, post #1 is the letter that many got by email from Adam outlining the consessions being made to the "no lounge policy".

I was talking about an email response from Adam to an individual. In this response, he specifically confirmed that the D receptions will be held on ALL ships without a D lounge. He also stated specifically that both D+ and suite guests will be welcome at the D reception on all ships that don't have a CL.

I totally agree.........I'm not happy with the changes. Fact is, they'll probably still use the same overflow lounges that they've been using so I never believed crowding to be the issue. I know there are people that say 25% off is better than full price, but I think it's insulting and tacky!!! There's not much difference in the cost of a glass of wine or champ and a shot of liquor over ice or in tonic or club soda or even a beer. I don't know what they're thinking!!! Why do they continue to pxxs everyone off?

If people keep acting like RCCL came thru for us nothing else will change. People accepted losing the combinability of the balcony discount with one other OBC and now we lost that which IMHO was a bg loss.

Those that are not happy have to keep voicing their opinions.

Beachbuddy

Thank you

Somebody else who has noticed that House Wine is the same price as other drinks so why only 25% off?

I know things are hard but RCCL seen to have a funny way of treating its regular customers.

The drinks, Lose of the use of the CL and OBC /shareholder credit now bring them in line with other cruise lines. A bad PR by any standards.

the WOW factor could be WOW how much!!!!

Thanks and no thanks for the answer to Diamond members of Royal Caribbean. Continental breakfast is coffee/tea and cake - big deal - you can have that delivered to your room. 25% off drinks - already over watered and over priced - no thanks -

when a ship is filled - convenience is "Major" - rethink your decision RC - there are alot of ships out there and fo to the same places... what has happened to this world - loyalty used to mean reward - not today! We certainly live in a different place

Rethink you decision for boarding RC - jump ship and find one that appreciates your money and loyalty.

Thanks and no thanks for the answer to Diamond members of Royal Caribbean. Continental breakfast is coffee/tea and cake - big deal - you can have that delivered to your room. 25% off drinks - already over watered and over priced - no thanks -

when a ship is filled - convenience is "Major" - rethink your decision RC - there are alot of ships out there and go to the same places... what has happened to this world - loyalty used to mean reward - not today! We certainly live in a different place

Rethink you decision for boarding RC - jump ship and find one that appreciates your money and loyalty.

Beachbuddy

Thank you

Somebody else who has noticed that House Wine is the same price as other drinks so why only 25% off?

I know things are hard but RCCL seen to have a funny way of treating its regular customers.

The drinks, Lose of the use of the CL and OBC /shareholder credit now bring them in line with other cruise lines. A bad PR by any standards.

the WOW factor could be WOW how much!!!!

No particular reason I'm responding to this post that I agree with ... no rebutle.

I figured out the reason that those who are not upset by being 'cheated', are not upset by being 'cheated'. It is the "Stockholm Syndrome".;) Only kidding a little bit. RCI had a captive audience, who used to be until lately the top level of C&A, and they launched a 'threat'. They let some time pass, and then (partially) withdrew the threat. The 'threatened' now, not only feel grateful that (part) of the threat was removed, they now feel a greater 'sympathy' for the guys who launched the threat in the first place. Those who are old enough to remember this one probably get it. Those who are still 'in the bank' will not.:rolleyes:

We have friends who are Diamond Plus and are concerned that we may not be joining them for future cruises because of the change in policy. Their concern led them to send us a copy of Mr Goldstein's letter in hopes we would be happy with the changes. They just returned from a 5 day cruise where they were invited to see the captain's cabin. This was our response:

Hey folks,

Glad to know you had the special invite. Yes , we were aware of the changes. Since talking with you about the changes, I emailed corporate and gave them a couple of internet links to view first hand all the complaints about their changes. I believe it made a difference.

Last week I was invited to complete a survey about our last cruise from Galveston. I was surprised how extensive the survey was. It took me 40 minutes to complete. At the end of the survery I had the chance to add additional comments. I told them they were in left field for suggesting the reason for the changes was the conceirge lounge was too small to accomodate both Diamond and Diamond Plus. I explained that the Conceirge has been too small for years and surely they had another reason for their change in policy. I also suggested they could accomodate Diamond Plus there and take care of Diamond elsewhere including the special show tickets and priority tender tickets. I was surprised to see the change in policy just 2 days later. Now the real problem is this; we all know the conceirge isn't big enough for Diamond Plus members. If we have a special Diamond lounge for wine and champagne, where does the overflow Diamond Plus crowd go? They haven't thought through this whole process. I am grateful we have a place to meet and socialize as Diamond members, but am completely unhappy with what they have taken away. We will probably be sorry as we reach Diamond Plus; as we learn the special lounge only serves wine and champagne. We will all have to go to the tiny concierge for hard liquor, and as Mr Goldstein tells us most ships can't even have such a lounge. If you look past the end of your nose, you will realize this benefit we have enjoyed for our loyalty has just been permanently removed. Happy sailing.

No particular reason I'm responding to this post that I agree with ... no rebutle.

I figured out the reason that those who are not upset by being 'cheated', are not upset by being 'cheated'. It is the "Stockholm Syndrome".;) Only kidding a little bit. RCI had a captive audience, who used to be until lately the top level of C&A, and they launched a 'threat'. They let some time pass, and then (partially) withdrew the threat. The 'threatened' now, not only feel grateful that (part) of the threat was removed, they now feel a greater 'sympathy' for the guys who launched the threat in the first place. Those who are old enough to remember this one probably get it. Those who are still 'in the bank' will not.:rolleyes:

nice one

I am old enough to get it, clever analogy.

Wonder what the next move is threat or another sweetner

We have friends who are Diamond Plus and are concerned that we may not be joining them for future cruises because of the change in policy. Their concern led them to send us a copy of Mr Goldstein's letter in hopes we would be happy with the changes. They just returned from a 5 day cruise where they were invited to see the captain's cabin. This was our response:

Hey folks,

Glad to know you had the special invite. Yes , we were aware of the changes. Since talking with you about the changes, I emailed corporate and gave them a couple of internet links to view first hand all the complaints about their changes. I believe it made a difference.

Last week I was invited to complete a survey about our last cruise from Galveston. I was surprised how extensive the survey was. It took me 40 minutes to complete. At the end of the survery I had the chance to add additional comments. I told them they were in left field for suggesting the reason for the changes was the conceirge lounge was too small to accomodate both Diamond and Diamond Plus. I explained that the Conceirge has been too small for years and surely they had another reason for their change in policy. I also suggested they could accomodate Diamond Plus there and take care of Diamond elsewhere including the special show tickets and priority tender tickets. I was surprised to see the change in policy just 2 days later. Now the real problem is this; we all know the conceirge isn't big enough for Diamond Plus members. If we have a special Diamond lounge for wine and champagne, where does the overflow Diamond Plus crowd go? They haven't thought through this whole process. I am grateful we have a place to meet and socialize as Diamond members, but am completely unhappy with what they have taken away. We will probably be sorry as we reach Diamond Plus; as we learn the special lounge only serves wine and champagne. We will all have to go to the tiny concierge for hard liquor, and as Mr Goldstein tells us most ships can't even have such a lounge. If you look past the end of your nose, you will realize this benefit we have enjoyed for our loyalty has just been permanently removed. Happy sailing.

I'm not responding to this post in particular... just the overall theme of outrage at lost privileges in general (which happens to be well expressed in this post).

What strikes me is why anyone is surprised by this?

I'm a frequent traveler (though not an especially frequent cruiser). I spend tens of thousands of dollars and fly 100k+ miles per year, mostly with Delta, and will most likely continue to do so for many years. As a Platinum Medallion (sort of the airline version of Diamond Plus), I've watched my special treatment dwindle away over the years… upgrades are more difficult (as they’re based more on ticket cost than elite status), the Delta version of the RCI Concierge Lounge used to be free to Platinum flyers (I now pay a discounted rate of $300/yr. for the privilege), award airlines tickets cost more (in terms of miles) and are harder to come by… even meals in First Class have been done away with on many, fairly-lengthy routes.

Why don’t I leave Delta? The other airlines are just as bad (or worse).

So, with all due respect, I really think you (collectively) should just get over it. It’s the way of the world and the sign of the times. Switching cruise lines won’t help in the long-run, you’ll eventually get disappointed there too. Is this a pessimistic view? Yes. But, it’s also reality. Deal with it.

Well, I think that if RCI had been honest up front about it being an economical thing, people would have been less upset.

Instead, they tried to hide it under the cover of "enhancements" and "lack of room", which after reading the second letter was obviously not the reason.

I think a lot of people lost trust in their actions.

There's a big difference between free and 75% and I'll bet that there will be a lot less people consuming 75% drinks than there were consuming free ones. RCI used the same argument when they implemented the charge for Johnny Rockets and it worked.

I absolutely agree...

There have been quite a few posts commenting that this won't change the overcrowding issue in the overflow lounges, but I really believe it will...

On several cruises, we've witnessed a number of people who go the the overflow lounge when it opens and stay until it closes. I don't believe we'll see that happening with 25% off drinks. I think people will be far more likely to either go in for 1 or 2 drinks or skip the lounge all together.

Well, I think that if RCI had been honest up front about it being an economical thing, people would have been less upset.

Instead, they tried to hide it under the cover of "enhancements" and "lack of room", which after reading the second letter was obviously not the reason.

I think a lot of people lost trust in their actions.

Yes, I agree 100% with that. It's much better to be honest and direct when delivering negative information. Either way, you probably tick people off... but, at least they still trust your word.

Archived