jeans in dinning room during BREAKFAST ???

raysue

I posted this earlier tonight, but it didn't show up on the board (what happend?)

We have never cruised celebrity. In reading this board I notice that several people have been very anti-jeans (denim-phobic?) I would never wear jeanss for dinner but I wonder if it would be acceptable for breakfast? We are going on a 5 day cruise on the Mercury next Sept. to the Pacific Northwest. I can tell you that Campbell River, for example, is a very "jeaans"sort of place. Should I wear something nice to breakfast and then change to jeans to go onshore.

Advice would be welcome. I do not want to offend anyone.

Thanks,

Sue

I've never done breakfast in the dining room on board a Celebrity Cruise...there are SO many choices for breakfast in the buffet...that I had no need to try out the dining room. And if you couldn't find your heart's desire at the buffet, there is always the waffle station by the pool or the omlet station....lots of choices. Having breakfast at the buffet, or poolside, you would be most comfortable in jeans and wouldn't have to bother with dressing up and then changing again. Sorry I couldn't answer your original question....but I hope this might help. Have a great cruise!

I see no problem with wearing jeans in the dining room during breakfast or lunch. Dinner like you said is no jeans. Personally I prefer eating in the buffet for breakfast if going out on excursions.

Marilyn

On our Alaska cruise on the Mercury, jeans were prevelant in the dining room for breakfast and lunch no matter if we were in port or sea day. You went right from eating to shore excursion or glacier viewing and jeans were perfect to wear in early June to keep you warm. If going on a shore excursion and you're eating in the dining room, be sure to tell your waiter you're in a hurry.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with you wearing jeans during breakfast in any of the dining venues. Personally, I think they should "officially" be allowed during lunch as well.

I'm only a dressy person when the sun goes down :-)

:) Its my first time on X also. Don't worry,I do not believe that if you wear jeans at breakfast or lunch, you would be forced to 'walk the plank', or worse, be told that you MUST attend every art aution, and/or bingo game,[oops, now I've done it!]. As a twelve time cruiser I always 'go with the flow', and I don't believe that I have upset anyone yet, other than making rude remarks about bingo and art. I must warn you however, coming from Cambpell River is a mark against you. Our daughter eloped there about twenty years ago, and I for one have not yet recovered.:D Relax, and have a great cruise. john taylor

I have a problem with it...not the right place for this attire. Just because the rules aren't enforced and people choose to ignore them doesn't make it right. There are lots of more casual venues...wear slacks to the dining room.

I have a problem with it...not the right place for this attire. Just because the rules aren't enforced and people choose to ignore them doesn't make it right. There are lots of more casual venues...wear slacks to the dining room.

Wow! And I thought I was bad hehe....to think I got flamed just for complaining that someone wore jeans on formal night.

::dodges bricks::

It is my understanding from these boards that jeans are more accepted in the colder climate cruises then warmer. IMO It is okay to wear jeans at breakfast or lunch but not at dinner. My suggestion is let the other passengers be your guide. My guess is that if it is cool out many people will be wearing jeans.

I don't recall any rule being posted anywhere on the ship or in any Celebrity literature regarding attire for breakfast and lunch. Only dinner. Did I miss it entirely?

Last fall on the Millennium, some people wore jeans all the time, including dinner. They were never stopped or spoken to.

Rules what rules !!!......it seems that they are only suggestions

Okay...suggestions then. For men: I do recall formalwear being suggested for 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. I do recall slacks and possibly jacket being suggested for the remainder. But I don't recall any suggestions on attire for breakfast or lunch in the dining rooms. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I just don't recall it. Can anyone verify that Celebrity does indeed suggest slacks and no jeans for the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch, for the original poster's sake? Oh...and now I see the original poster is female, if that makes any difference.

The reason I asked was that I have read several posts that said essentually "no jeans in the dining room ever" I have not seen this as a problem on the other lines on which I have cruised (HAL, RCCL, Princess) Just want to be sure what the "rules" are from those in the know.

BTW,John Taylor, We are not from Campbell River, we live in Seattle. We went up to Campbell River about 8 years ago and it seemed to be mostly centered around hunting the wiley salmon. It's beautiful though...

In any case, we had nothing to do with your daaughters elopment LOL

Thanks for the answers, folks. I shall stop fussing (at least about this one subject:rolleyes:

Just returned from our Century Thanksgiving cruise, and saved all of the Celebrity Today daily papers. This announcement was in the daily the first day. Please keep in mind this is not my personal opinion, but Celebrity's stated policy verbatim, so no flames please. I simply want to provide the original poster with this information, so that they can plan accordingly.

Ship's Dress Codes

Following are the required (in bold letters) modes of attire for evening dress (after 6;00pm nightly) throughout the ship.

Formal: Ladies: A dressy outfit, Formal Gown or Cocktail Dress.

Gentlemen: Dark suit and tie, dinner jacket, or tuxedo.

Informal: Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse.

Gentlemen: Jacket, slacks. No jeans, please.

Casual: Ladies: Dress, pants suit or sporty outfit.

Gentlemen: Sports shirt and slacks.

Please note; Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops, swimsuits, robes, and bare feet are not permitted in The Grand Restaurant at any time. Shorts are not permitted in The Grand Restaurant during dinner times. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.

I don't recall any rule being posted anywhere on the ship or in any Celebrity literature regarding attire for breakfast and lunch. Only dinner. Did I miss it entirely?
I never wear jeans to a business meeting, a wedding, a funeral, my mothers at Christmas etc...but you're right, I've never seen a sign so maybe there is no appropriate dress for these circumstances either....jeans and cell phones, whenever/wherever...

I never wear jeans to a business meeting, a wedding, a funeral, my mothers at Christmas etc...but you're right, I've never seen a sign so maybe there is no appropriate dress for these circumstances either....jeans and cell phones, whenever/wherever...

Well that was sarcastic.

I was simply trying to help the original poster with their question and not advising either way. I never had a meal for breakfast or lunch in the Millennium dining room so I could not answer with clear cut information.

I remember now why I rarely visit this board.

You are right...I was out of line.

I give up...I have fought the fight but I am beaten...jeans, cell phones, beer by the bucket, smuggled booze, abandoned dress codes....do what you want, wear what you want, drink what you want...I was wrong to think cruising was worth keeping special...if only you people could have experienced cruising when it was indeed a unique experience you might understand why I am as passionate about it as I am...you can't miss what you never had.

You are right...I was out of line.

I give up...I have fought the fight but I am beaten...jeans, cell phones, beer by the bucket, smuggled booze, abandoned dress codes....do what you want, wear what you want, drink what you want...I was wrong to think cruising was worth keeping special...if only you people could have experienced cruising when it was indeed a unique experience you might understand why I am as passionate about it as I am...you can't miss what you never had.

It isn't clear to me why having someone wear jeans to breakfast or lunch anywhere on the ship should prevent anyone else from feeling "special"--or any other way they'd like to feel. Tiresome...very tiresome.

Archived