Helsinki Hotel?

jec2

When? Budget? FYI: Hotel rooms often seem to be in short supply over summer in Helsinki.

We've booked our clients in the old prison hotel, situated in Katajanokka (www.bwkatajanokka.fi) and they've all been happy.

Fairly new hotel in an old prison, very close to the Market Place and an easy walk from downtown, as well as a good tram connection close by.

Cheers

Heta

When? Budget?

I have to agree with this post: it's hard to say without knowing what you want to pay.

Google has compiled hotel listings, together with user reviews from the main travel sites. It has four pages for Helsinki, starting here.

I go along with most of the comments on page 1, except that Hotel Seaside is a bit too far from the centre.

-Lucy

I'm sorry for the lack of info. The time frame would be the last 3 days in August 2009. My wife and I are from the US, seniors, and definitely want a private bath. Downtown or within walking distance of sights would be nice. I usually use Priceline to book and expect to get a 4 star in Copenhagen for around $100. Also a 5 star in Athens for about the same.

I've heard that Helsinki prices are less than Copenhagen.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

So I guess no one knows of a hotel in Helsinki with a private bath for under $100 + taxes a night for the end of August. I was able to get the Marriott in Copenhagen on Priceline for $94 a night plus all the taxes.

Thanks,

I have no vested interest in Hotel Helka but it's the only place I've stayed in Helsinki and I really like the place. Nowadays it appears to be a little more than $100/night and comes with a decent breakfast buffet of the usual scandinavian selections plus a couple hot items.

tg_lindo:

Thank you very much for your info on Hotel Helka. Since most cruise ships don't leave from Helsinki, it's hard to find someone with first hand experience.

For what it's worth, I've stayed there twice and will return for third this summer. Helka is not smack in the middle of downtown (check a map) but it is very near the Kamppi Center, a retail / dining / bus / metro station modern complex. There is an inexpensive kabob joint down the street, tram stop close by, Rock Church very near. About a half mile to ain train station, for bus connections from / to Vantaa airport. Helka also has a reliable cab share service to airport.

Thanks for the additional info. The cab share sounds interesting. DW and I will have a large suitcase each plus carry on bags. I hate the thought of pulling everything thru the streets to get to public transportation to get back to the airport.

regarding wheeling one's luggage down city streets, one detail that is seldom mentioned here is whether those very streets are smooth or paved with cobblestones! It makes a big difference! Last summer, there was a lot of street construction in Helsinki as the trams were being renovated, so that made "the drag" more challenging. Kamppi center, which one must traverse between Helka and train station, has smooth pavement but a couple places where one must deal with ramps or a few steps.

I have seen proposed plans for the metro to be extended to the airport some day. That would be nice. Meanwhile, the bus service is fine (and fair priced) and it is common for people to bring full size bags on the bus, and there is space to park them.

Archived