Safety Issue on the Jade

G-Funk

Hi G ~ I'm jealous of your trip!! That sounds incredible. Unfortunately, it sounds like the cruise was probably your least favorite part, and for that, I'm sorry.

Sounds like you tried to make the best of it, and I agree, I would have wanted someone to listen to me too.

I'm sure you're on it already, but I'd suggest writing corporate about this issue. 4 men carrying a 200 lb. man in a wheelchair down stairs, is an accident waiting to happen.

I hope things get resolved for you.. and you'll give NCL another chance. :)

Hi G ~ I'm jealous of your trip!! That sounds incredible. Unfortunately, it sounds like the cruise was probably your least favorite part, and for that, I'm sorry.

Sounds like you tried to make the best of it, and I agree, I would have wanted someone to listen to me too.

I'm sure you're on it already, but I'd suggest writing corporate about this issue. 4 men carrying a 200 lb. man in a wheelchair down stairs, is an accident waiting to happen.

I hope things get resolved for you.. and you'll give NCL another chance. :)

Thanks AW - we had a fantastic time, and the few blips on the ship didn't ruin anything. I think we're spoiled by our Disney experiences - NCL was okay, not great, and the one situation was very frustrating.

I'm not going to bother writing anyone as I don't think they care - they kind of demonstrated it on the boat. We'll just try something else next time.

A half hour isn't very long at all in the scheme of things. Also, it is interesting that you say they carried you down the 15 steps so fast you couldn't say no....go figure, but I think you COULD have said no, some of your remarks seem to contradict others. It is hard to have a disability and there times when you do miss out on some things and I understand that. BUT, seems to me that NCL tried to take care of you and you just didn't get as much as you seemed to want after the fact. Put it behind you now as it doesn't help anything.

A half hour isn't very long at all in the scheme of things. Also, it is interesting that you say they carried you down the 15 steps so fast you couldn't say no....go figure, but I think you COULD have said no, some of your remarks seem to contradict others. It is hard to have a disability and there times when you do miss out on some things and I understand that. BUT, seems to me that NCL tried to take care of you and you just didn't get as much as you seemed to want after the fact. Put it behind you now as it doesn't help anything.

Since you are the expert, what exactly did I want?

I posted an experience so that others could read and learn from it, if they wanted too.

NCL failed me here. I'm not mad and it did not spoil my trip, but it does affect my feelings about them and my willingness to recommend them. I'm sorry to all the NCL-defenders, but that is the way it is.

Tendering is awful, a risk to everyone as far as I am concerned. I have to disagree with you on the safety issue - chair lifts are much much much safer than carrying. It is extremely easy to start carrying a wheelchair by a section that is designed to come off - like the arms. If it does, it is game over.

I'll take the time to wait for the safer option. I wish the NCL crew had done that.

It was a simple roll off at the pier.

I am sorry you had such a frightening experience, and I agree that all cruiselines should do a better job of tendering...not just wheelchair bound, but all passengers.

We sailed on another cruiseline that overloaded the tenders by about 50 people! Very scary!

We did make a complaint and the next time we sailed with them there were no issues with tendering, at least not in our experience.

I love NCL but I can sympathize with your frustrations. Only you can know how affected you were. When someone feels like you did, whether it is in a store, restaurant, etc they want two things: to be heard/acknowledged and for someone to say "I'm sorry". Experts say people are not necessarily looking for an admission of fault or an offer of compensation, but those other things.

One time I was hit by a car while walking on the sidewalk and I was on crutches and on the local transit's disabled van for 3 months, it really opened my eyes at how we treat those with challenges. Now, I have seen my mother age and she has some mobility issues. Sometimes it breaks my heart when people not only fail to show compassion but are downright uncaring and mean.

I am sorry you did not have the best NCL experience, and that bothers me when someone doesn't because I always have. No, not perfect but close.

I wish you smooth sailing in the future.

Since you are the expert, what exactly did I want?

I posted an experience so that others could read and learn from it, if they wanted too.

NCL failed me here. I'm not mad and it did not spoil my trip, but it does affect my feelings about them and my willingness to recommend them. I'm sorry to all the NCL-defenders, but that is the way it is.

I have to say I have never seen a more "loyal group" than the NCL folks. You can't say anything negative without people going crazy. I have cruised 3 times on NCL and I have to say they are great in some respects and lacking in others. I hope your future cruise experiences are better

It sounds like the special treatment for this person was not handled right. But, I tend to agree with the above statement.

What exactly do you see as defining 'special treatment'? The expectation to be able to exit the ship in a safe and dignified manner? If so, then there was nothing special about the treatment OP received.

What exactly do you see as defining 'special treatment'? The expectation to be able to exit the ship in a safe and dignified manner? If so, then there was nothing special about the treatment OP received.

I think he meant the wine and strawberries being the "special treatment." :)

To the OP: I am saddened to hear of your experience. I, in no way, interpreted your post to mean that you didn't receive adequate compensation for the experience. Rather, you are quite clear IMO that you only wanted acknowledgement that there was a safety concern and assurance, from a person with the power to actually oversee practice, that others would not face a similar position.

I disagree with the suggestion that the OP was in any way responsible for what happened. Having spent a short time in a wheelchair myself, I am very aware how those in wheelchairs are moved about, relocated etc as if they were inanimate objects.

This is not just an issue on NCL. If one monitors postings regarding disabled cruisers, one will note that handicapped rooms on all lines, for example, are snapped up by able-bodied passengers as premium-sized cabins leaving the disabled struggling to cope in cabins too small to accomodate their needs. Travelling with my wheelchair/walker using mother on the Star last fall, we were dismayed by the passengers who pushed past her onto elevators or pushed her aside during the insane disembarkation process in LA. Some ships appear better than others (we were really impressed with the Sun, for example).

OP--I encourage you to continue to cruise and trust that you have educated members of CC to be more sensitive to fellow passengers with mobility concerns. I encourage you to email the disabilities coordinator-- I am sure that you will receive a timely and appropriate response. NCL was a test case in regards to service to the disabled. The US Supreme Court ruled that the Persons with Disabilities Act applies even though the ships are flagged outside of the US (but sail from and to US ports).

CC members-- Nice to see so many of you supportive of the OP. I encourage those who are critical of the OP to consider your own reaction if you felt your particular needs were not met (whether it be homophobic, sexist, racist behaviour that left you feeling marginalized and unsafe or just that you were annoyed that the crew didn't enforce the no-kid rule on the hottub). Sometimes ALL one wants is acknowledgement that your very genuine concerns were overlooked and an assurance that others walking (or not, in this case) along a similar path will not face these issues. I have seen much more vigorous defense of posters upset about children in hottubs than I have seen of the extremely real and extemely serious safety concerns of the OP. This is sad.

To the OP: I am saddened to hear of your experience. I, in no way, interpreted your post to mean that you didn't receive adequate compensation for the experience. Rather, you are quite clear IMO that you only wanted acknowledgement that there was a safety concern and assurance, from a person with the power to actually oversee practice, that others would not face a similar position.

I disagree with the suggestion that the OP was in any way responsible for what happened. Having spent a short time in a wheelchair myself, I am very aware how those in wheelchairs are moved about, relocated etc as if they were inanimate objects.

This is not just an issue on NCL. If one monitors postings regarding disabled cruisers, one will note that handicapped rooms on all lines, for example, are snapped up by able-bodied passengers as premium-sized cabins leaving the disabled struggling to cope in cabins too small to accomodate their needs. Travelling with my wheelchair/walker using mother on the Star last fall, we were dismayed by the passengers who pushed past her onto elevators or pushed her aside during the insane disembarkation process in LA. Some ships appear better than others (we were really impressed with the Sun, for example).

OP--I encourage you to continue to cruise and trust that you have educated members of CC to be more sensitive to fellow passengers with mobility concerns. I encourage you to email the disabilities coordinator-- I am sure that you will receive a timely and appropriate response. NCL was a test case in regards to service to the disabled. The US Supreme Court ruled that the Persons with Disabilities Act applies even though the ships are flagged outside of the US (but sail from and to US ports).

CC members-- Nice to see so many of you supportive of the OP. I encourage those who are critical of the OP to consider your own reaction if you felt your particular needs were not met (whether it be homophobic, sexist, racist behaviour that left you feeling marginalized and unsafe or just that you were annoyed that the crew didn't enforce the no-kid rule on the hottub). Sometimes ALL one wants is acknowledgement that your very genuine concerns were overlooked and an assurance that others walking (or not, in this case) along a similar path will not face these issues. I have seen much more vigorous defense of posters upset about children in hottubs than I have seen of the extremely real and extemely serious safety concerns of the OP. This is sad.

CanadaFour - thank you for your comments, you said things in a much better and well organized way than I ever could. I appreciate it.

I also appreciate the comments of others that saw through to my main point, the concern with safety that was not addressed during or after the experience by NCL. Thank you.

I'm not going to bother writing anyone as I don't think they care - they kind of demonstrated it on the boat. We'll just try something else next time.

How will NCL know to fix the problem on the ship if you do not write or call the main office or the NCL headquarters?

IMO I'd contact the coorprate office and let them know how upset you were and still are; let them know you were scared, tell them that the front desk did nothing to make it better etc....they can not fix what they don't know about.

How will NCL know to fix the problem on the ship if you do not write or call the main office or the NCL headquarters?

IMO I'd contact the coorprate office and let them know how upset you were and still are; let them know you were scared, tell them that the front desk did nothing to make it better etc....they can not fix what they don't know about.

I agree. That would be the only way for something good to come from this.

It amazes me, well I suppose it doesn't, that people who are not disabled can pass judgement on how SAFE it was for 4 men to carry someone in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs. You all have NO CLUE.

To the person who mentioned you could have said NO, I said NO repeatedly, in addition to gasping, screaming put me down etc. and it made NO difference whatsoever.

To the OP you NEED to bring this higher up the food chain at NCL, I have an issue I am dealing with them over now and they keep telling me how great there Special needs services are and how they are making such strides forward. Well, they aren't.

It amazes me, well I suppose it doesn't, that people who are not disabled can pass judgement on how SAFE it was for 4 men to carry someone in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs. You all have NO CLUE.

Not everyone in a wheelchair feels the same way about this. While I fully respect your opinion, you can't speak for everyone. So, please don't assume that anyone who disagrees with you is not in a wheelchair.

To the person who mentioned you could have said NO, I said NO repeatedly, in addition to gasping, screaming put me down etc. and it made NO difference whatsoever.

That is just plain WRONG. If you say, no, the answer is no - no matter who or what.

To the OP you NEED to bring this higher up the food chain at NCL, I have an issue I am dealing with them over now and they keep telling me how great there Special needs services are and how they are making such strides forward. Well, they aren't.

I agree that IF the concern is the special needs services, this incident should be brought to the higher ups.

I agree that IF the concern is the special needs services, this incident should be brought to the higher ups.

So you are saying that you are in a wheelchair and are fine with being carried down a flight of stairs in the chair which is NOT designed to be lifted ever with a person in it. States that very clearly in the chair documentation, a chair that often has removable parts such as arms that these men who know nothing about wheelchairs etc. grab onto and then shift around all trying at once to fit on a staircase designed for one maybe two people to use at a time?

The idea that they do this all the time is absurd, as it implies they know what they are doing, they do NOT. and if they do it all the time then GOD help the passengers in wheelchairs.

I have been assisted by crew members on various other occasions and situations where it has been helpful and appreciated. but the situation here is NOT one of them.

I am not speaking for everyone in a wheelchair but I do not believe anyone in one would be fine with the situation described either by the OP in his case or On Princess in My case.

This is a MAJOR safety issue and should be addressed. They need much better staff wide training in dealing with disabled guests and they need better clear cut procedures WHICH THEY ACTUALLY FOLLOW.

we also were on a cruise that was diverted from Pireaus to Naplion because of a strike - only difference was that Athens was the termination of the cruise. So they had to tender over 700 passengers and their luggage. What a harrowing ride that was at 10pm and when we arrived at the dock the tender was too low to unload the wheelchair up a ramp. so they had 4 burly Greeks lift me in the wheelchair up over their heads and on to the dock. We have tendered many times since in other ports of the world, but never would I risk it if I deemed it unsafe. We make a point to travel on new ships equipped with lifts for wheelchairs or similar arrangements. I make sure that I, and not the crew at the tender, determine what I think is safe.

Thanks AW - we had a fantastic time, and the few blips on the ship didn't ruin anything. I think we're spoiled by our Disney experiences - NCL was okay, not great, and the one situation was very frustrating.

I apologize in advance if anyone thinks this is a bit harsh....but I think it needs to said.

I don't care who you sail with in the future, but I do think it is your obligation to see this situation through. Especially since you claim that safety is your concern.

Upper management needs to understand the situation so that: 1. it is documented if there is a problem with another passenger in the future. 2. they can make decisions on how to improve services to other challenged passengers in the future.

Companies (of all types) do not promote changes that will cost them money or resources. That is, they don't until they are threatened with a loss of revenues that exceed those changes vis a vis a lawsuit.

The apathy you are showing with regard to their lack of caring is selfish and if safety were truly your motivation then their lack of response should fuel your fire even more.

/steps off the soapbox

Archived