BEWARE -Royal Caribbean Credit Card Fraud

Some credit cards, including MBNA and Bank One will remove points earned if you have to cancel your card. Insist, when you cancel, that you are simply cancelling due to fraud and they should keep your points intact if you opt for another account card!

PS. Sorry for this statement, but we (my DH and I) have NEVER trusted MBNA. They have pulled many stunts for the years we carried their cards and finally gave up on them. I certainly wish that RCCL would have chosen a better Corporate Card sponsor. :eek:

Below is the text that I received from someone in regards to a fraud scheme. Thought you would be interested:

"My Husband received a call from "VISA," and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard." The scam works like this:

Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I' m calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card, which was issued by (name bank).

Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?"

When you say "No," the caller continues with, "then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes." The caller continues... "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1-800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control #" The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "He needs to verify you are in possession of your card."

He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers telling you that there are 7 numbers; the first 4 are your card number, the next 3 are the 'Security Numbers' that verify you are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3 numbers."

After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say,"That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?"

After you say No, the caller then Thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do," and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number.

But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did!

The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charge on our card. Long story made short, we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card, and they are reissuing us a new number.

What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN numbers on the back of the card… don’t give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card direct.

The real VISA told us that they would never ask for anything on the card, as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit However, by the time you get your statement, you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost to late and/or harder to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up!

We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening."

Stephanie A. Maat

training@capitolbancorp.com

Vice President Corporate Training Services

517-372-7425

Fax: 517-374-2523

I think the problem with introducing a PIN is that it would greatly increase the cost of accepting credit cards. While many places already have the ability to enter PINs to address debit transactions, many establishments do not. Could you imagine the cost of the wireless PIN entry device they'd need, so restaurant patrons wouldn't have to go to a system whereby they can no longer pay at their table but instead have to pay at a cashier? I can't see that being an improvement, at least from a service standpoint.

This is exactly what they said 20 years ago. When was the last time you had to run your credit card through one of the old carbon machines? As times change, the technology changes to keep up. I would gladly give up paying at the table if I knew that my charges were secure and the interest rates would lower. I too have not paid interest on a credit card in many, many years, but the majority of do pay interest every month.

I have worked many credit card theft cases over the years, and to be honest, the credit card companies really dont care all that much about the theft problems. They are making so much money on the interest paying accounts it outweighs the theft problem.

When its your own money (i.e. ATM debit card) no one minds using a PIN. But when its someone elses money....

John

MBNA is being very careful. I've been called by them several times to verify purchases. I forgot to all and tell them we were going on a cruise. Sure enough, when I returned home, there was a message from them verifying purchases in St. Thomas. They also called me at work and asked if I was in the Caribbean. I have to remember to call them before my next vacation. I did ask what they would do if they did not have a work number and they said they would allow the card to continue to be used, as we were obviously away, but they would like us to call and let them know to expect charges from away.

Archived