Which airport to use in NYC?????

samandbailey

We are cruising out of New York City in July on the Triumph. Which airport will it be best to use - JFK or LGA? We are going to arrive the morning of the cruise unless something changes with my husband's work schedule. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never been to NYC and know nothing about where things are located. Should we take a taxi from the airport????

We are cruising out of New York City in July on the Triumph. Which airport will it be best to use - JFK or LGA? We are going to arrive the morning of the cruise unless something changes with my husband's work schedule. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never been to NYC and know nothing about where things are located. Should we take a taxi from the airport????

Laguardia always...much closer & easier as well.

Where's the port in NYC?

If the Triumph departs from the Manhattan port, JFK, LGA or EWR would all be options and you can pre-arrange for a car service to pick you up and take you to the port, or you can just hop in a cab. There are designated areas for cab pickups at all of the airports. It costs about $30 flat fare for a cab ride from LGA or JFK to midtown Manhattan.

We're flying out of our little airport with a stop in Philly and heading to EWR (Newark NJ). I priced all 3 airports and found that newark was the cheapest for our flight and worked best with times for us. Having never flown, or been to NYC for that matter, I can't comment on which is BEST. I'll have to save this thread and let you know how things go as we are leaving in June from NYC. Where in PA are you?

Guest Crazeecat5

LaGuardia is closer and smaller. JFK is a larger and more confusing airport. At either one, you will find tons of taxis, all ready to take you to the city. I lived in NY,in between the two airports, all of my life, until 3 years ago when we moved out here to Pa.

LaGuardia is closer and smaller. JFK is a larger and more confusing airport. At either one, you will find tons of taxis, all ready to take you to the city. I lived in NY,in between the two airports, all of my life, until 3 years ago when we moved out here to Pa.

Sheryl...I am a New Yorker as well. Are you losing your mind in PA? It's nice just totally different from where you grew up.

John

If the Triumph departs from the Manhattan port, JFK, LGA or EWR would all be options and you can pre-arrange for a car service to pick you up and take you to the port, or you can just hop in a cab. There are designated areas for cab pickups at all of the airports. It costs about $30 flat fare for a cab ride from LGA or JFK to midtown Manhattan.

Cabs are relatively cheap but not that cheap.

The fixed flat fare from JFK in a yellow taxi cab is $45.00 plus toll and tip(about $60 in total)per cab not per person

From LGA its meter plus toll and tip should be about $30-35 in total but can be more.

From EWR it should be about $75 total.

There are other ways from each airport that are less expensive and not as convenient as a cab. A prearranged car service(limo/black car) generally run a few dollars more than a cab but not much but can actually be less from EWR. http://www.carmellimo.com as an example( I don't use that one but I know they have a website with fares) I use arecibo but many out of towners find them difficult since they want you to call when you get in and not pre-arrange a car.

see http://www.nyc.gov/tlc for offical yellow cab rates

see http://www.supershuttle.com for shared van service also Blue Van service...

Generally I find the cheapest airfare.If it is less than a certain amount difference LGA is the closest but also most delay prone(although none of the NY airports are known as on time palaces) give your self plenty of time!

Generally I find the cheapest airfare.If it is less than a certain amount difference LGA is the closest but also most delay prone(although none of the NY airports are known as on time palaces) give your self plenty of time!

I second this. Depending on what airline you are flying, the price difference can be huge for the three different area airports. I go with the cheapest flight and if not a significant difference then I choose LGA.

BTW JFK isn't that complicated. Most of the construction that did make it a mess is done. and if you are taking a cab or car service or supershuttle you aren't driving anyway....The car services will tell you what door to go out to meet them and the cab lines are well marked manned by a city hired dispatcher and almost always readily available...

• 4 weeks later...
Great info here. I was researching txpn from JFK to Times Square, then Brooklyn Port to JFK.

Has anyone taken Super Shuttle and what was your experienced compared to a cab?

Super shuttle is ok to Manhattan(although some people complain about the number of stops and the wait)

from Brooklyn to JFK call Arecibo they will be there in 10 minutes and no meter to deal with(7187836465)....there is no set fee for a yellow cab from Brooklyn to JFK.

Also from Times Square to the Brooklyn Port a cab is fine as long as you have the directions with you otherwise they won't know or feign ignorance. They are required to take you to Brooklyn but don't want to leave busy Manhattan..

Which airport is closer to Cape Liberty?

Newark Liberty (EWR). About 10 miles. By the way, I just visited the cruise port this past weekend. Not much to look at. The new 911 memorial is right next to it. That looks like a nice gesture from Russia.

Great info here. I was researching txpn from JFK to Times Square, then Brooklyn Port to JFK.

Has anyone taken Super Shuttle and what was your experienced compared to a cab?

PLEASE don't count on Super Shuttle, unless it is just from the airport to a hotel. Super Shuttle DOES NOT run in NYC as it does in the Los Angeles/San Diego area (LA born and raised). I have NEVER had good luck with Super Shuttle in NYC. I am in the NYC area once a month, at least and have crossed them off my list for transport.

• Administrators
PLEASE don't count on Super Shuttle, unless it is just from the airport to a hotel. Super Shuttle DOES NOT run in NYC as it does in the Los Angeles/San Diego area (LA born and raised). I have NEVER had good luck with Super Shuttle in NYC. I am in the NYC area once a month, at least and have crossed them off my list for transport.

Greatam, I always have a lot of respect for your views -- and a week ago I booked the Super Shuttle from LGA to my Manhattan hotel (killer deal, I think -- $13 with a coupon from my TA, so adding back in a little tip it was still just $16 one way). I know it will be a shared van, and that I might have to wait at LGA for a bit, and that the routing might mean there are stops ahead of mine -- but is there anything else I should know? I can cancel if need be. :)

Greatam, I always have a lot of respect for your views -- and a week ago I booked the Super Shuttle from LGA to my Manhattan hotel (killer deal, I think -- $13 with a coupon from my TA, so adding back in a little tip it was still just $16 one way). I know it will be a shared van, and that I might have to wait at LGA for a bit, and that the routing might mean there are stops ahead of mine -- but is there anything else I should know? I can cancel if need be. :)

Super Shuttle in the Southern California area picks up/drops off at your house, business, Disneyland (I have had them drop me at the front gate), the beach, just about anyplace. Super Shuttle in NYC will transport you from hotel to airport and vice versa IN MANHATTAN. They DO NOT do a good job otherwise (office drops offs, business meetings). You will be fine.

• Administrators
Super Shuttle in the Southern California area picks up/drops off at your house, business, Disneyland (I have had them drop me at the front gate), the beach, just about anyplace. Super Shuttle in NYC will transport you from hotel to airport and vice versa IN MANHATTAN. They DO NOT do a good job otherwise (office drops offs, business meetings). You will be fine.

Thanks, and wow, that was fast! :) Appreciate the reply!

SuperShuttle: Thanks for the info. We can maybe just use it for JFK to our Times Square hotel. The rate was pretty good and then hopefully use a AAA discount. I don't mind dropping off other folks if it's going to save big money.

Now from the Brooklyn Cruise Port to JFK, do you think Super Shuttle would do that? And also from our hotel to the Cruise Port?

Sorry for all the babbling... well it is REALLY expensive to go from the port to JFK.

really? not if you use arecibo....should be about $35-40....

7187836465. Super shuttle doesn't do Brooklyn....

163 Imlay is close enough to find the entrance.,..Brooklyn 11231

Archived