Vancouver to port in power chair

Arwenmark

Has anyone here gone from the Vancouver airport YVR to the NCL cruise terminal in a power chair and how did you get there?

Did you use an accessible taxi or other van service? and if so did you arrange ahead of time of just have one called once you were there? did you and chair fit ok?

Did you just use the cruiseline transfers and go through special needs dept.? Still trying to decide whether to take my PC or my scooter, at least scooter comes apart in a pinch.

i travel with a mobility scooter. you should have no problems getting from the airport to the port. last year, Sep, 2008, my wife & i were on RCCL Splendor of Seas, Vancouver - Alaska to Los Angeles. we arrived in Vancouver on Alaska Air. outside the terminal at the taxi pickup area, is where you should probably look for your transport into Vancouver. at the taxi stand there was a person directing the various taxis and passengers. when i wheeled up, he immediately recognized the need for a wheelchair accessible van. since the vans are not normally in the taxi waiting line, he called his dispatcher to send a van. the van arrived in approx 5 minutes. to my surprise, the back hatch opened and there was a small ramp. i wheeled into the van with no problems and the driver loaded our luggage, 4 suitcases & 2 carry-ons & other stuff. there was plenty of room for all. we did not need to share with any other passengers. since we were spending the day/night at a hotel, Pan Pacific, Canada Place, one of the two cruise docks. we needed transportation the next morning to the other cruise dock, Ballantyne Pier, from our hotel. at the hotel the process was amazingly similar to our airport experience. the doorman on duty immediately called for taxi / van. again, we only waited approximately 5 minutes. we loaded up an off we went to the other cruise terminal, about 10 minutes away from the hotel.

enjoy the ride.

That is good to know I have used that exact system in FL all the time and a few other places but being Canada I was not sure if this would be the case and you Know what happens when you assume. The scooter I could in a pinch disemble but not the Power chair.

You will find that Vancouver is an extremely accessible city in all respects, in fact the immediate former mayor was in a powerchair. There are lots of H/C van cabs that will get you anywhere in the city including YVR to cruise terminal. You should have no problems at all.:)

Archived