Cruising The Saguenay Fjord

I am completely confused and I hope someone can help. We're booked on an NCL cruise, departing Quebec City at 8:00 P.M. on October 16th. The itinerary shows Day 2 "Cruise The Saguenay Fjord". Now, maybe it's just me but it looks like the entrance to the Fjord is very close to Quebec City. How are they planning to show us the Fjord on Day 2? Will they cruise up the Fjord during the night then, back to the seaway on the morning of Day 2? Any experience, thoughts on this one?

Oh, we end up in Sept-Iles early on Day 3. I've seen the Sept-Iles tourism link and will explore that but, any personal experience of the area? Doesn't look like a cruise ship hotspot - which isn't necessarily a bad thing :).

The Saguenday Fjord is more than 200 km east of Quebec city. Look for the town of Tadoussac, QC on the map.

The whales like to stay at the mouth of the fjord because the krill comes right down to them and into the St. Lawrence estuary. That area is a protected maritime park.

Sept-Iles is another 400 km to the east of the Saguenay fjord. None of this is a cruise "hot-spot" which is exactly one of the reasons It is particular interesting. The north shore of the St-Lawrence estuary is filled with beautiful nature and a long history of logging.

The Saguenday Fjord is more than 200 km east of Quebec city. Look for the town of Tadoussac, QC on the map.

The whales like to stay at the mouth of the fjord because the krill comes right down to them and into the St. Lawrence estuary. That area is a protected maritime park.

Sept-Iles is another 400 km to the east of the Saguenay fjord. None of this is a cruise "hot-spot" which is exactly one of the reasons It is particular interesting. The north shore of the St-Lawrence estuary is filled with beautiful nature and a long history of logging.

Sounds wonderful. I'm just wondering how much of it we're going to see since we leave QC at 8:00PM? If we cruise at, what, 30K/hr -we'll be in the heart of the beauty by about, what 3AM. I'm just wondering about the timing of things really.

I live in Nanaimo, just across from where the Alaska cruises depart in Vancouver. We have taken 2 of these cruises out of Vancouver and along the inside passage - again, absolutely stunning scenery. Our little town has also hosted a few cruise ships in the past few years. We're not really on top of anyone's list as the ships have to tender and we don't offer any Columbia Emeralds outlets ;) but, I must say that seeing beautiful cruise ships in our lovely harbour almost brings a tear to my eye. I'm hoping that Sept-Iles will provide the same, real town experience that Nanaimo does to its visitors. We always put on a real welcome as the cruise passengers disembark at the local dock.

So, if you can give me your best guess of where we'll be at 8:00 a.m. on Day 2, after our 8:00 p.m. Day 1 departure, I'd be grateful (mouth of the Fjord?). It sounds like you know the area well.

Ships travel at about 25 km an hour, but likely they will just go down the estuary slowly and go in and out of the Saguenay fjord during the day on the 2nd day. The question is more of how far in the fjord will you go? Will you go to Malbaie or to the town of Saguenay (Chicoutimi). My guess is that they should creep slowly and should be spending the morning in the area. Hopefully you will have a naturist on the ship to explain the area. Also, you have to look at the Hotel de Tadoussac, which is famous and has been in a number of films, including the Hotel New Hapshire. Depending on the season you have sealions, dolphins (rare) and whales in the area as well. (We went a few years ago).

Remember that Quebec city is one of the few ports that cruise ships go to that are in freshwater. The St-Lawrence becomes an estuary at L'Ile d'Orleans.

Ships travel at about 25 km an hour, but likely they will just go down the estuary slowly and go in and out of the Saguenay fjord during the day on the 2nd day. The question is more of how far in the fjord will you go? Will you go to Malbaie or to the town of Saguenay (Chicoutimi). My guess is that they should creep slowly and should be spending the morning in the area. Hopefully you will have a naturist on the ship to explain the area. Also, you have to look at the Hotel de Tadoussac, which is famous and has been in a number of films, including the Hotel New Hapshire. Depending on the season you have sealions, dolphins (rare) and whales in the area as well. (We went a few years ago).

Remember that Quebec city is one of the few ports that cruise ships go to that are in freshwater. The St-Lawrence becomes an estuary at L'Ile d'Orleans.

Thank you, Ephraim, for your very enlightening answer! It is now clear to me how the day will go. We have had naturist's on-board our Alaska cruises but, to be honest, they were less than exciting - maybe we just got a couple who weren't completely comfortable with public speaking? Anyway, it's nice to have someone to at least say "look to the left, there's a pod of whales!". We're very lucky where we live - eagles soar overhead in our yard, bears are sighted just down the road, seals just offshore - it will be lovely to see the East Coast equivalent.

I understand from reading your posts that you own a B&B but, I believe it's in Montreal? Have you stayed at any in Quebec City? We've just booked one for a night pre-cruise and I'd be interested to hear your opinions/recommendations for B&Bs in the Old City. I'm a huge fan of Trip Advisor and we booked our lodgings based on the reviews there but, it's always nice to have an "insiders" opinion.

Thanks again Ephraim, Cruise Critic, and we posters/lurkers are lucky to have you!

When I'm in Quebec City we usually stay at my sister-in-law's place, so I don't really know the B&Bs there, firsthand. I would check the BonjourQuebec website and look for something with at least three suns. Personally, we always look for three suns, it's our perfect mix of price and quality.

Trip Advisor for the most part is fine. Just read the reviews and make sure that they are really honest. I discount anyone who gives a place all 5*s. And give more weight to those who have several reviews instead of just one hit and run review.

I would hope that they would hire a local naturist. This is a protected maritime park and is different than the open ocean. We loved looking at the Belugas asleep on the water. And we were lucky enough to see a blue jump out of the water.

Now... no comments on the Nanaimo bars they sell in Quebec city.... we know they aren't authentic. But the poutine, tortiere and pea soup are.

When I'm in Quebec City we usually stay at my sister-in-law's place, so I don't really know the B&Bs there, firsthand. I would check the BonjourQuebec website and look for something with at least three suns. Personally, we always look for three suns, it's our perfect mix of price and quality.

Trip Advisor for the most part is fine. Just read the reviews and make sure that they are really honest. I discount anyone who gives a place all 5*s. And give more weight to those who have several reviews instead of just one hit and run review.

I would hope that they would hire a local naturist. This is a protected maritime park and is different than the open ocean. We loved looking at the Belugas asleep on the water. And we were lucky enough to see a blue jump out of the water.

Now... no comments on the Nanaimo bars they sell in Quebec city.... we know they aren't authentic. But the poutine, tortiere and pea soup are.

I'd love to see Belugas in the wild. We've seen them at the Vancouver Aquarium and they are just beautiful.

Nanaimo bars in Quebec City? Why?

I'd love to see Belugas in the wild. We've seen them at the Vancouver Aquarium and they are just beautiful.

Nanaimo bars in Quebec City? Why?

Take my word, they sell them. :)

I was also pleasantly surprised last time I was in Quebec city to see them bending over backwards to speak English to tourists. It's a beautiful city and it's nice to see them treating tourists well.

We sailed he Fjord in October of 2004 and it is beautiful scenery. We started entering the mouth around I believe it was just at sunrise. We went up and had a local on board talking about the scenery, the area, and the animals. We were on the Jewel of the Seas. We went all the way till there is a statute of the Virgin Mary. Beautiful. Do not remember at this time what it is called.

One interesting thing is that they have powerlines from one side to another and it looked like the ship was not going to make it under. They had to close to the sides because of them.

We did see whales on the way out it was probably close to 10 to 11 am. Just a beautiful area. I know that DH and I enjoyed it very much and would love to see it again. Enjoy

The Nice Family, we are one of the fortunate ones to go to Nanaimo a couple of years ago on a cruise. You have a very pretty town. So cute. The waterfront is very nice and the town folks are super nice. We just walked around and felt so at home. I remember they set off a cannon at lunch time. It was neat. You will love the Fjord.

Thank you for the beautiful photo, CasaSmith, as well ask the kind comments about Nanaimo. When we first moved here, 6 years ago, my daughter got to set that cannon off for her 5th birthday! It was a real treat for her. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here - we love it and would love to share it with more cruisers. A permament cruise ship dock is in the plans and I believe funding has just come through so, maybe we'll see you and many others in years to come.

Thanks also for the first-hand experiences cruising the Fjord everyone. Looks like we've got a lot to look forward to!

• 2 weeks later...

We went into it once, last year on the Explorer of the Seas. Unfortunately it was completely fogged in and except for a small brief clearing now and then, we couldn't see a thing. It was very disappointing.

Thinking of doing the cruise again this year on the Constellation. The don't mention the Saguenay Fjord in their itinerary but they don into Quebec and include Halifax and PIE. Does anyone know if it will go in?

Archived