snorkeling???

cocoapuffs

we went to edens rock last week,,,,it was awesome to say the least,,,like swimming in a fish tank,,,,there are a ton of fish there, and the paradise restaurant feeds them so i think they like to hang out in that area,,,it was so beautiful,,,we also took a tour with captain marvins which was also great, however, we could have swum to the areas that he took us from the beach,,,,outskirts of eden's rock, wreck of the cali and one other spot, also close to shore. if we go again, we are spending the day snorkeling from the beach!!! we really thought the snorkeling was some of the best,,,the water was relatively shallow, so you could really see the fish up close. we thought this was the best snorkeling we had done, this inlcudes cozumel, belize and the florida keys,,,

any questions?

wendy :)

Wendy,

I'm glad to hear the snorkeling at Eden Rock was so good. You also mentioned that you snorkeled from the beach. Was that some place different? There isn't a beach at Eden Rock is there?

Also, did you have any problem with the current?

Thanks for the information

I know that we snorkle at a hotel beach called treasure island. (not sure how it held up since the hurricane). It is right before 7 mile beach. We usually go snorkle there and walk along the beach to the nice 7 mile beach. Lots of fun.

hi,

there is actually a little beach right there at edens rock!! lounge chairs and everything..

we also snorkeled cheeseburger reef and the wreck of the cali....for us, we could have swam to them from the beach,,,we are pretty good swimmers though....

wendy

There are pros and cons to snorkeling on your own. First, you have to have someone to watch your stuff. You could bring the important stuff with you but shoes, towels, and clothes need to stay somewhere. We snorkeled the Wreck of the Cali and loved it. We had part of our group stay at Rockham's pub while we snorkeled. Another problem was that we are in open water. There were a lot of boats around so it was a little dangerous. We actually swam out to the wreck but then stayed close to a group that was on a tour so we felt safer. Some of the good points of doing the snorkeling spots on your own are #1) It saves money and #2) you could snorkel as long as you want at each spot. Two different groups came and left while we were at the wreck.

Lets see,,,,

The actual beach there at Eden's rock is pretty small and the sand does not lead right into the ocean like a regular beach,,,,there is coral rock between the sand and the water.

If it were me, and I had others to watch the kids while I snorkeled (and then we took turns) i would do it. Eden's rock is really right there to the left as you come off the ships tender a few blocks away, maybe a 3 minute walk? The snorkeling was soooooo worth it,,,even if you could only do it for a little while before heading to 7 mile beach...make sure the kids have water shoes if they are going to either go down the steps into the water, or down through the coral (to the left of the beach as you look at the ocean).

The restrooms and a restaurant are right there too, which is handy for kids as well as beach chairs already on the beach!!!

Wendy :)

Archived