Deck question

CRUISING71

Hello,

We are booking our cruise on the Splendor...we have a choice of Lido, Empress and Veranda...which deck is better? Is higher the deck better? We want a deck with less motion.

We have a little girl and she is sensitive to motion sickness.

Thanks,

Tibbie

Hello,

We are booking our cruise on the Splendor...we have a choice of Lido, Empress and Veranda...which deck is better? Is higher the deck better? We want a deck with less motion.

We have a little girl and she is sensitive to motion sickness.

Thanks,

Tibbie

In that case, lower is better. Closest to the center of the ship is also preferred.

Which ship are you taking? Is it Carnival? I think Empress is the lowest of the balcony and the view isn't much different at sea than on top. Even at port there isn't that big of a difference. Since you are posting in the Mexican Riviera area, I assume the ship's port of calls is there. You won't miss a thing by not being up higher.

We are on the Splendor in August...for 7 days Mexico Rivera.

Any advices would greatly be appreciated...our first cruise was a nightmare for us adults...it was from Long Beach to Vancouver. The sea was very rough and we got sick. The ship was literally rocking side to side...all the water in the pool was splashing outside and we couldn't go outside on deck due to the wind.

I was hoping to try again this year...since my friends and family rave about cruising in Europe...We wanted to try out for 7 days to Mexico, because we are in Southern California.

Thanks

We are on the Splendor in August...for 7 days Mexico Rivera.

Any advices would greatly be appreciated...our first cruise was a nightmare for us adults...it was from Long Beach to Vancouver. The sea was very rough and we got sick. The ship was literally rocking side to side...all the water in the pool was splashing outside and we couldn't go outside on deck due to the wind.

I was hoping to try again this year...since my friends and family rave about cruising in Europe...We wanted to try out for 7 days to Mexico, because we are in Southern California.

Thanks

We took this trip in March of 07 and will take it again in June. It was fine going down but it will be cooler until you hit the warmer waters of Mexico. Coming back especially on the last day it might be a bit more choppy with the warm water hitting the cooler water and in March no one was out at the pool and this was a ship loaded with college kids. However it still wasn't as bad as what you are describing but I've had that same problem when it was hard to walk the halls of a ship. I would definitely take the lower balcony level midship. I guess I have been fortunate and never seen a pool closed due to wind or weather problems. We spent the last day taking pics of the ship, packed in the day so we could enjoy the last night's activities. Apparently lots of folks were doing the same since they started to come out of their cabins by dinner.

we choose the best cabin location. Quiet away from elevators, near the suites is great. In the stearn engine noise and vibration can happen. Stay away from less expensive floors where kids can run down hallways. Newer large ships have less rocking as a factor of midship lower is better

CRUISING71, WOW, your description of your transition to Vancouver reminded us, DON'T SETTLE, when it comes to cruises. We have had several "not so good" experiences. Now we have a rule, BEST AFFORDABLE SHIPS, BEST TIME FOR DESTINATION!.

Next season we will only consider cruising on 5 ships to the Mex Riviera. Splendor, Sapphire, Spirit, Mariner and Radiance. We will NOT cruise on older ships, and we hesitate to cruise to the Mex Riviera any other time besides late October - end of February. Too hot & rain any earlier than late October. Spring break young adults in March are not as fun for us (boring table mates). We are cruising 5/10/09 on Splendor, which breaks the rules. Splendor is new to our area (& Spirit was too expensive this year), and the weekly email newsletter (GREAT! Travelzoo.com) pointed us to a deal that was too good to pass up (we called up Carnival directly & they matched it). We may regret the May sailing as too hot. We shall see.

We have sailed on several older ships. It was not nearly as fun. So no older ships. No exceptions!

Our worst cruise weather experience was a Germany to Hungary Danube for the Xmas markets. Shiver! Live & Learn!

IMG_4945.jpg

Sofi,

Thank you for great advice. We are going on the Splendor on August 30.

Our first cruise, I thought it would be fun to do something local, so we went from LAX to Vancouver....never again on that route, even with new ship. Water was really rough.

BTW...you looks so cute with your fur hat...like a cute Eskimo.

Archived