Hey RCCL, we just booked on Carnival in Galveston

Not that we want to, we are a Diamond members with RCCL, but RCCL has no ship in Galveston so our only acceptable choice is to sail on Carnival.

We budget enough to sail twice a year, sometimes 3 trips, but can only do this if we don't have to fly to the port. Living in Houston, that means we sail out of Galveston. Have done 13 trips on Royal in past 5 years. Voyager just left Texas until next December so if we want to cruise then we have to go on Carnival.

Sure we could sail twice (or more) on Voyager, but that means winter sailings only. Our favorite time to sail is in the fall. Out of Galveston that leaves us only Carnival as an option. We are paying less to go on Conquest in September. Would gladly pay a little more to sail on RCCL but we have don't have that choice.

If anyone from Royal reads these boards I hope that you understand what I just said....we are WILLING TO PAY MORE to sail on your ship in Galveston if there was one here to sail on.

There are many more here in Texas who would do the same. If you are one of them, please let RCCL know.

Edited by houcruzer

There are many more here in Texas who would do the same. If you are one of them, please let RCCL know.

Here to 2nd the motion - Our last RCCL cruise was a Repo on the Voyager - we moved right after that and have done 5 Carnival and one NCL cruise because we would rather spend money on cruise ticket than plan tickets.

We would do the Voyager again if the price was right - but RCCL can't touch Carnival's military rates.

We have NCL cruise points to use this year - but we're hoping to book an Oasis or Freedom class after that.

If you haven't done Carnival in a while - you'll be pleasantly surprised - IMO, food shows and service are better - but we the WOW factor of RCCL ships will pull us back to them sooner or later.

Edited by nealstuber

I haven't lived in Texas long. We went to go plan a trip out of Galveston till we found out RCL didn't have a ship here when we wanted to go. Looks like we won't be going!

If your signature is accurate, and you've never sailed Carnival - I sure would give them a whirl. We did the conquest after three Voyager class cruises and did not feel like it was a huge step back.

I will jump on this band wagon........Have been on Navigator and Freedom but last 3 summers had to go on Conquest due to NO RCCL ships in Texas in Summer.......have college age sons, wife works for school and our group goes together......last summer 14 of us went on COnquest, summer before 26 of us......getting tired of no choice but if RCCL is that thick skulled and do not need Texas departures then their loss.......only hope is enough of us start to make a difference and someone will listen from RCCL......

I have never sailed anything but RCCL. I try to be loyal, but am tired of having to fly to Florida to sail when the Voyager isn't here. We are seriously considering Carnival because of no RCCL ship being here year round. I do hope they will bring us a ship for the entire year, but we will probably try Carnival soon. I do hope you guys are reading our posts, we could support a ship year round in Houston/Galveston!!

AMEN!

We have sailed both RCCL-Mariner and Carnival-Conquest. We had a great time on both cruises - no complaints whatsoever, but we just prefer RCCL.

Since Voyager ususally only cruises out of Galveston from around Sep - Apr, that leaves us out. With our kids in school (I refuse to take them out of school for a cruise, and holidays are no good with hubby's job) and my being a CPA (Spring Break out of the question), we can't / won't cruise Voyager. So we're left with Carnival if we want to cruise out of Galveston.

I'd prefer to spend more and take more than one cruise a year - WITH RCCL - but we could only swing that if we could drive to the port. Since we now fly to the port, we can only afford one cruise per year.

SO - LISTEN UP RCCL - if you would put a year-round ship in Galveston you'd have us for at least two bookings a year!

We would love to cruise out of Galveston with RCCL, maybe then we could go more often, We will NOT go back on the Conquest or on any of the Carnival Ships, done that and never had the experience as on RCCL. But we would go on Princess or X if they come to Galveston. So RCCL come on have a Ship there year round.

Not that we want to, we are a Diamond members with RCCL, but RCCL has no ship in Galveston so our only acceptable choice is to sail on Carnival.

We budget enough to sail twice a year, sometimes 3 trips, but can only do this if we don't have to fly to the port. Living in Houston, that means we sail out of Galveston. Have done 13 trips on Royal in past 5 years. Voyager just left Texas until next December so if we want to cruise then we have to go on Carnival.

Sure we could sail twice (or more) on Voyager, but that means winter sailings only. Our favorite time to sail is in the fall. Out of Galveston that leaves us only Carnival as an option. We are paying less to go on Conquest in September. Would gladly pay a little more to sail on RCCL but we have don't have that choice.

If anyone from Royal reads these boards I hope that you understand what I just said....we are WILLING TO PAY MORE to sail on your ship in Galveston if there was one here to sail on.

Same here/ Former USAF cop and we are planning a large group cruise for next summer and since a lot of us want to stop by our old 'boot camp' base in San Antonio we will sail out of Galveston since it's basically right down the road. Do wish RCCL did summer sailing from Galveston. Oh well, bunch of old military cops, we'll have fun no matter the ship.

I received a call this morning from the assistant to Adam Goldstein (CEO) in response to a letter I sent him about my dissatisfaction with the changes in C&A benefits. She specifically asked if I have canceled any cruises because of this change in policy and how it might impact my decisions in the future. I told her that all RCI's recent cutbacks have leveled the playing field, so I'll look at other cruiselines from now on.

When she asked what changes RCI could make that would cause me to continue sailing exclusively with them, I told her the only way they could be sure I'd stay loyal to Royal (after 22 cruises aboard their ships) would be if they would keep a ship in Galveston year round...and grandfather in all C&A members with the benefits they've already earned. She promised to relay my comments to Goldstein immediately...but I doubt it will make any difference, he's heard those same requests many times before.

I have to agree with everyone else here. I too live in the Houston area, and would love to see a RC ship here year round. In the past we had Rhapsody, and Splendour, so there was always an option. I am loyal to RC, but not because I don't want to move over to Carnival, but because I have enjoyed the product that RC has, and have found no reason to move.

I have however chosen to give Carnival a shot, (as my signature shows below). From what I have read on the Carnival threads, I think it will be a fun time. We, (wife and I), were looking for a cruise without our son so we could kick back and have a good time, and stay out late if we wanted to, but did not want to wait until December to do that, so the only option was Carnival as we did not want to fly, (which means more money), for our next cruise.

I will be back to RC and already have a Freedom trip booked as well. If RC had a ship in Galveston year round we would cruise more often most likely, and would be going out of Galveston vs. flying to Florida. The western route can get old, but I hear that Carnival is now going East out of Galveston and hitting the Bahamas, and Key West. Again, "IF", RC had a ship here year round they could also do that route, and then I would be sailing east a couple of times a year......

RC are you listening? I too am a Diamond member spending money on a competitor........ Come back to Galeveston year round and you can have more of my money. Heck for that matter, every cruise I have been on out of Galveston has been pretty full. This market has to be a money maker for them. The economy is better in Texas than most other places, bring the ships to where the money is.

We are a bunch of classmates who cruise together. SHS 1965. We have done RCCL,NCL, Holland America and Carnival. We prefer RCCL. I have six Cruises on RCCL out of Galveston. Every time it has been on a sold out cruise. Rhapsody and now Voyager both have a audience and a following so it is not for lack of customers. As for cutbacks I do understand but when they impact the way I am treated or diminish the bang for the buck I have to shop around. We are going to Alaska and will probably do Holland America. I was looking at RCCL to add a trip to my Platinum status heading for Diamond but the incentive to achieve Diamond is negated. Any way will take my yearly Voyager trip when it is available. I am still upset that Rhapsody is gone and may never get over that!!!

We also had no choice last October when we took Ecstasy on a 5 day. We did enjoy it the food was good and service was great. especially our cabin attendant. the cabin ( I wont call it a stateroom) was small but adequate for 2. I do wish they would have more balconies like RCCL has and more choices of accomodations. Anyway, if RCCL had a year round ship or 2 or 10, we would be super diamond plus in no time as we would sail exclusively RCCL. Tell you what. lets just settle for Voyager the way it is and Rhapsody full time:D

Texas has a higher poplation than Florida! Why does Florida get 5 ships, while Texas gets none?!?! More importantly, Why does Europe get 8 ships, while Texas gets none???

Europe is a Continent, Galveston is a city. That may explain why there are 8 ships in Europe vs 1 ship in Galveston. But I, too would love to see more ships in Galveston. They would probably have to offer some of the longer sailings though since Galveston is so fat away from the Eastern Caribbean.

Edited by Ms. B

Whew Ms. B, I know it was just a typo, but I have a feeling that with Galveston being so "fat" away, we may have to eat more on the longer sailings, and then......you know get "fat" with all that good food. :)

Edited by Vacation Boy

Texas has a higher poplation than Florida! Why does Florida get 5 ships, while Texas gets none?!?! More importantly, Why does Europe get 8 ships, while Texas gets none???

You pretty much answered your own question there. Cruises out of Galveston are predominantly filled with people from Texas and a few surrounding states. The cruises from Florida are filled with a far wider range of people.

It's like any homeport pretty much. The Explorer out of Bayonne is filled with mostly people from NY/NJ and the New England area. Florida is the cruise capitol of the world pretty much, always has, and until some drastic changes are made, always will be.

It's also more central for them to be able to offer Eastern/Western routes with the same ship. Anywhere out of Texas is only going to be able to offer Western Caribbean cruises if they want them to be week long or less.

And Europe, well, that's just where many people want to spend there money right now, it's growing to be more popular than the Caribbean (i definitely don't prefer it), but there gonna send there ships where the money is.

Happy Cruising!

Edited by Luv4dacruise