What to do in Nassau w/15MO??

lisascott207

I need some advice as to where to spend the day in Nassau. I thought we would go to the BC Hilton for the day but now I am unsure. Our son is 15MO so we would want to do something that is reasonably close by the port in case he gets tired and we need to cut the outing short. Is the beach at BC Hilton nice? I dont want to bother if it isn't. Is there somewhere else (beach) you would recommend that is baby friendly and a short distance from port? I am not opposed to taking a short taxi ride, but there is a slight chance we might not tote along the car seat.

Thanks

BC Hilton isn't the best beach in Nassau. I am not going to lie to ya. ;) There are better. But it IS the closest and the most convenient to the port. The reason I say it's not the "best" is because it is adjacent to the port. So you see the ships. And it's just not the best stretch of water since it's the port.

One possible alternative is Cabbage Beach, the beach that Atlantis is located on. The beach at Atlantis is closed to the public. But there are some stretches of public beach.

You can get there by water taxi if you want to avoid the taxis. The boat takes you to a dock. Then just follow the crowd past Atlantis and keep on walking until you find the access to the public beach.

If you want a pool and access to facilities, then go to British Colonial Hilton and get a day Pass.

Here are the beaches of Nassau...

http://www.caribbeantravelmag.com/article.jsp?ID=41146

The Atlantis has many things to amuse all ages The aquarium is wonderful and will amuse a toddler. I don't know what admission includes but it doesn't take a lot to amuse a child that age. So much to look at there. You can walk through a shark pool in a tunnel which is great.

The Atlantis has many things to amuse all ages The aquarium is wonderful and will amuse a toddler. I don't know what admission includes but it doesn't take a lot to amuse a child that age. So much to look at there. You can walk through a shark pool in a tunnel which is great.

Atlantis through the cruise line is usually about $156 per person. :eek:

Atlantis day passes that can be purchased on a limited basis (and may not be available on holidays or full days) are $108 per person

The cruise lines often have a "beach Atlantis" trip for something like $56pp. It won't include the pools or slides but will include a voucher for lunch.

I love Atlantis. So I book a room at Atlantis (or comfort suites next door which gives it guests access to Atlantis). That option is usually more economical for my fam of 4.

But I don't know how well it would work for 2 (and a baby is free)

If we decide to go to Cabbage Beach, are there chairs and bathrroom facilities that are available to the public? I like the idea of Altantis, but I don't want to spend the $$ since I know we wont be able to stay very long. How long is the ride and how much is the water taxi to the beach?? Do they supply life jackets for the baby? I think we are leaning towards Cabbage beach now. Is it worth the trip for a couple of hours? Thanks:)

If we decide to go to Cabbage Beach, are there chairs and bathrroom facilities that are available to the public? I like the idea of Altantis, but I don't want to spend the $$ since I know we wont be able to stay very long. How long is the ride and how much is the water taxi to the beach?? Do they supply life jackets for the baby? I think we are leaning towards Cabbage beach now. Is it worth the trip for a couple of hours? Thanks:)

There are no restrooms at that section of Cabbage beach. It would be a 10 minute walk back to Atlantis.

Water Taxi is $3 per person each way. You purchase the tickets in the port terminal building. Just get off the ship and walk into the building right there and go to the transportation desk.

No, I didn't see life jackets for babies. But I wasn't looking. Sorry.

ScubaGirl talks about Cabbage beach here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=953659

Thanks cruisinmama,

I think that we will purchase a lifejacket for our son. He will probably enjoy the taxi ride to the beach since he loves boats. I dont think that we will need a chair since DS is doesn't sit still! We will manage w/our towels. Do you know how long the taxi ride is? Do they run often?

Thanks again:)!

Thanks cruisinmama,

I think that we will purchase a lifejacket for our son. He will probably enjoy the taxi ride to the beach since he loves boats. I dont think that we will need a chair since DS is doesn't sit still! We will manage w/our towels. Do you know how long the taxi ride is? Do they run often?

Thanks again:)!

The water taxi? I didn't notice it being a particularly long trip. About 15 minutes max. It's interesting because they have local guides on the boats talking about the area. Telling you which celebrity lives in which house.

The local guide will try to get tips at the end. So just be forwarned. ;)

The water taxis leave the port area as soon as the boat is full...which when ships are in port, that doesn't take very long at all.

The one water taxi site actually says "12 minutes". So if you want to see more info on it, go here....

http://www.bahamasgo.com/watertaxi.htm

But when you get off the boat, you'll have to walk past Atlantis to the first public access opening to Cabbage Beach. Don't try to get onto the beach at Atlantis because they do check for braclets.

Archived