area when you get off the ship

nowendy

Are there a few bars and shops right by the ship in Belize like in Progresso and Coz?

We are thinking about taking the trip that goes to belize and Roatan Isle, but from what I'm reading about Belize, I would feel safer just staying close.

Thanks,

First of all ships don't dock in Belize City. They anchor out and guests who book shore excursions get first priority to get off. Everyone else gets off late and you really don't have time to shop around unless it's a city tour from a guide. I DO NOT recommend you shop on your own for marine tours, archeological trips, cave tubing, jungle treks, and that sort of stuff. I have seen guests get left before. The "Tourism Village" has several duty free shops and gift shops but you can also explore downtown. As far as safety is concerned Belize City has the same dangers as every other city. Stay within the recommended tourist zone and you can have a great time on your own. Apart from the annoying taxi drivers trying to sell you some tour around the port you can have a safe and fun time on your own along downtown. Tourism police are posted in larger numbers on ship days and you can always ask for directions and recommendations on the street. Have fun.:)

• 2 weeks later...

if the ship does not dock in belize, how far from the port is it and is it within walking distance. is the old belize museum and the jungle pavilion within walking distance of the port? can you get a taxi to these spots?

Archived