area when you get off the ship

nowendy

are there a few bars and shops right by the ship in Belize like in Progresso and Coz?

We are thinking about taking the trip that goes to belize and Roatan Isle, but from what I'm reading about Belize, I would feel safer just staying close.

Thanks,

When you get off the ship, there is a shopping area. There are at least two bars...one's called the Wet Lizard.

I've been to Belize several times. There's really nothing to fear leaving the port area with an excursion.

I wouldn't walk outside the port area to explore on my own only because there's nothing to do.

KenMo

Looking at your profile and I see that you have been to many ports. Which did you perfer, Key West, Bahamas or Belize City, Roatan Isle, Coz.

Also what did you do in Belize and Roatan?

KenMo

Looking at your profile and I see that you have been to many ports. Which did you perfer, Key West, Bahamas or Belize City, Roatan Isle, Coz.

Also what did you do in Belize and Roatan?

Belize, Roatan, Coz.....hands down.

In Belize, I've cave-tubed and went to Lamanai Ruins.

Roatan....I've zip-lined and gone to Fins and Flippers.

There is some shopping in Belize and a few restaurants. There is a food court kind of area. Wet Lizard is really good. We snorkeled in Belize with Coral Breeze tours and it was wonderful. After snorkeling we went to Caye Caulker for some beach time and lunch. Not much to do in Belize other than the shopping if you don't take some kind of a tour.

I've walked around outside the "protected" area by myself and with my small child. I didn't feel very scared. Of course it may depend upon where you live and what you are used to.

If you exit and head left about one block you can find the department store on your right. It was interesting shopping in there although I ended up not purchasing anything but pools toys for my daughter. We were hassled by the hair braid ladies who were getting a little too "in my face". I kept telling them "No thank you". They were even waiting for us as we returned from our tour.

Just be prepared to deal with all the street vendors trying to sell you plaintain chips and hair braiding.

Going outside the port area in Belize well not be a problem just as long as you use a little common sense, just like most places. Belize always seems to get a bad rap, when really it isn't all that bad... and if you choose to stay in the port area, you will have NOTHING to worry about, it is very nice and has places to get a drink and buy some gifts.

We were in Belize last month. Laura is the owner/manager of The Wet Lizard bar. She is originally from Atlanta and just a real great gal. Go by and enjoy a cold one an a Bezilian meat pie! Oh and don't forget to ask her for a coupon if you plan to buy a souvenir tee shirt or hat or something.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Archived