any ship to avoid?

We hadn't been on the Majesty for 10 years and went last October for a quick get-away, boy did we love the new & improved Majesty, it was great.

Personally, we didn't care for Freedom. Too big and too kid oriented for our tastes, but I know families love that ship, so I guess it's all about what you are looking to satisfy>

• 2 weeks later...

packed on their backs as cargo and chained to the deck. the itin was called the middle passage. that class was a level or two below steerage.

Perspective!

My grandparents came here from Eastern Europe third class steerage, took over a month, people nauseated left and right,sick babies,eating gruel (but still better than communism I guess).The cool thing is that on Ellis Island's website there is actually a photo of the rustbucket that they came here on.

I think of them on any cruise that I take,makes the lack of good entertainment and high drink prices seem somewhat unimportant.

The last time that I cruised with my mother we had one meal with really tough roast beef. She winked at me and said "at least we aren't in steerage!"

W e've sailed on ships from the Majesty up to the Independence and Liberty. Every one seems to have it's own personality. We love em all!

I agree with you...I haven't had a problem with the larger ships that some people seem to have, I never felt crowded and the service on the Liberty was the BEST that we've ever had.

I've only been on one cruise, which was a smaller Carnival cruise. I loved it enough that I was bitten by the cruise bug. I'm going this year on RC's Liberty of the Seas and VERY much looking forward to a larger ship with more to do. I don't care to spend a week just sitting in a lounge chair or playing trivia games. That's relaxing for me for about 1/2 day. I think these larger ships attract the more athletic/active types who enjoy doing things. I use the fitness center on all sea days, I plan to attempt boogie boarding on Flowrider, ice skating, and I'm set on climbing that rock wall! I don't think RCL is making any mistakes with designing larger ships. Personally, I'm dying to go on Oasis! There will always be smaller, older, quieter ships to go on with the choice of cruise lines/ships. I think the newer ones may be targeting families and a younger, active audience. There's a nice selection out there for everyone's taste.;)

I haven't gone wrong yet on an RCCL ship.

My fave was the Jewel - no Promenade, no ice rink; I think there might've been a climbing wall, but that's just not my thing - I loved all her views through the vast expanses of glass. And the Solarium was covered.

Vision was smaller but also very nice.

Explorer had the Promenade, ice rink, and I'm pretty sure a climbing wall. It was amazing to me that these things were on a ship, but I really didn't need to have them there.

I'm not planning to go on anything larger than the Explorer.

We have been on 14 cruises and the Grandeur of the Seas out of Norfolk was our only disappointment. The food in the MDR was poor as was the service and the crew wasn't up to the other RCCL ships we've sailed. As much as we would like to take advantage of sailing out of Norfolk or Baltimore we will not book again until something other than the Grandeur sails from there.

Our top ratings go to the Jewel in the Baltic, the Splendour out of Venice, and the Adventure out of San Juan. EVERYTHING on these three ships was perfect. Be are booked on the Brilliance out of Barcelona in two months...a ship we picked because she is the sister to the Jewel.

We've only been on the Vision and Jewel so I would say least favourite, because it's not so plush, is the Vision.

I always think I'll have a soft spot for the Jewel as she was the first ship we went on.

100% agree with last post - the Baltic/Russia cruise on the Jewel was first class.

My wife and son did not enjoy the service on the Monarch. So much so, she called me and I called RC while they were still on the ship. Even with some prompting from shore they still were not treating them with anything close to the service that we've recieved on any of our other cruises. Diana says she'll never go back on the Monarch. Good thing it's leaving the fleet. Having said that, she did say the entertainment was the best she'd seen on any cruise she'd been on.

Since I have only been on the Enchantment (pre stretch) and Adventure, I don't have too much to compare. But I was disappointed on the Adventure with the food. I didn't think the Windjammer really offered much variety and what they did offer was on the lower side of quality. I thought the Enchantment had much better selection and quality even being a smaller ship.

I am really looking forward to my Radiance cruise, too bad it's so far away!

Archived