REVIEW: Jewel Cruise 4/12-4/17

asylum575

I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience. You know, I feel like I know you. I remember all your pre-cruise posts, questions, and dilemmas (passport / OBC issues / NCL phone calls, etc) and I remember telling my DH about you and how I hoped you would have a great time after all the STUFF you had gone thru. I watched and watched for your review but I never found one. I also wanted you to respond on how the OBC issue went. I remember that you were faxing or funneling monies ahead of time. Again, I am so sorry that after all the planning, worrying, and preparation the cruise was a bust. I can't remember if you said you were done with NCL or not but whatever line you choose in the future I sincerely hope that they make up in every way what you went thru recently. One note about the bathroom...I WOULD HAVE SCREAMED! I can overlook a lot of stuff, but a dirty bathroom / kitchen I abhor. I have learned from our many travels to bring my own cleaning kit cause, honey, in my warped little brain it ain't clean til I've cleaned it. :D Much success in the job hunt and better cruises to you in the future.

Sonja

I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience. You know, I feel like I know you. I remember all your pre-cruise posts, questions, and dilemmas (passport / OBC issues / NCL phone calls, etc) and I remember telling my DH about you and how I hoped you would have a great time after all the STUFF you had gone thru. I watched and watched for your review but I never found one. I also wanted you to respond on how the OBC issue went. I remember that you were faxing or funneling monies ahead of time. Again, I am so sorry that after all the planning, worrying, and preparation the cruise was a bust. I can't remember if you said you were done with NCL or not but whatever line you choose in the future I sincerely hope that they make up in every way what you went thru recently. One note about the bathroom...I WOULD HAVE SCREAMED! I can overlook a lot of stuff, but a dirty bathroom / kitchen I abhor. I have learned from our many travels to bring my own cleaning kit cause, honey, in my warped little brain it ain't clean til I've cleaned it. :D Much success in the job hunt and better cruises to you in the future.

Sonja

Hi Sonja,

Yes,I did do a lot of Pre-Cruise posting and did have a lot of issues before I even cruised. Thank you for your concern and even thinking about me. I still don't have time for my "full" review,but will work on one this weekend. As for the onboard credit,all was good with that up until the time we disemarked the ship. The last night we checked our balance,we actually had a "credit" on our OBC so we requested to get it back in cash. And of course,they said they couldn't do that! They had to put the credit back on the debit card that I initially put it on. They also said they weren't sure how long it would take....it's MY money,I want it back! So when I got back home I contacted the acct. rep I had been in contact with prior to the cruise (she was sooo helpful). She checked it out,said that NCL hadn't even began processing my refund! So she "expedited" it for me and I had to refund a few days later. If it wasn't for her I would probably still be waiting for it. But as far as the OBC,as soon as I checked in,I went straight to the front desk and they showed "all" of my OBC,so I guess that's about the only "good" thing that happened. So they never even had to charge my debit card for any charges. Yes,I am done with NCL. I had heard negative things about them in the past,but thought I would give them a try. It is unfortunate cause I really was looking forward to a great experience. It's a real "let down" from Celebrity,which was our last cruise. If I do cruise again,it will definetely not be during spring break and it will definetely not be on NCL. Keep posted for my review! Thank you Sonja!

PS....yes,the bathroom thing just put me over the top!

It's hard to have a positive attitude when your in the theater for the show and your husband goes to the bathroom and you are "questioned" as to why your holding his seat! It's none of anyone's business!

Sorry, but it's EXACTLY the crew's business to ensure that people are not abusing the "no saving of seats" policy. This is one of the most annoying things on a cruise: walking into the theater and seeing six, eight, or however many seats being "saved" for a group that isn't there. I'm delighted the crew was paying attention. Seems to me all you had to say is that your husband stepped out and will be back shortly. If something as trivial--and beneficial--as this ruins your attitude, no wonder you didn't enjoy your cruise.

I wish the crew would do more to challenge those who hog seats by the pool, too, even if it means challenging someone who stepped away for just a minute to get a drink or a bite.

Sorry, but it's EXACTLY the crew's business to ensure that people are not abusing the "no saving of seats" policy. This is one of the most annoying things on a cruise: walking into the theater and seeing six, eight, or however many seats being "saved" for a group that isn't there. I'm delighted the crew was paying attention. Seems to me all you had to say is that your husband stepped out and will be back shortly. If something as trivial--and beneficial--as this ruins your attitude, no wonder you didn't enjoy your cruise.

I wish the crew would do more to challenge those who hog seats by the pool, too, even if it means challenging someone who stepped away for just a minute to get a drink or a bite.

I never said it was the "crew",it was a fellow passenger! And it was two seats........my husband and son. We got there 45 minutes before the show and they had to use the bathroom. And no it's no one's business,especially another passenger where my family is! Like I said in my earlier posts....I have never encountered so many rude people on a cruise in my life! And I did say "my family went to the bathroom"........and "still" got questioned about it!

I have never encountered so many rude people on a cruise in my life!

That's what I normally say about Carnival. Just goes to show, different people, different experiences. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong. I still prefer to be on a cruise then not. I'm even willing to give Carnival a second try.

We got there 45 minutes before the show and they had to use the bathroom. I have never encountered so many rude people on a cruise in my life! And I did say "my family went to the bathroom"........and "still" got questioned about it!

I suppose your family gets in line for everything 45 minutes early. I'm sorry, it hard to like what you and others of your kind do all the time.

How about going to the restroom and taking care of business before arriving at the theatre? Then you wouldn't need to reserve seats in the first place.

Why doesn't NCL lock the theatre up before shows, and only open it five to ten minutes early, or on time like they do the restaurants? Hopefully that would eliminate people arriving 3 hours early to reserve some seats.......:eek:

It's also been my experience that rude people are usually self centered and selfish, just like people arriving 45 minutes early so they can have front row seats for the show.

I suppose your family gets in line for everything 45 minutes early. I'm sorry, it hard to like what you and others of your kind do all the time.

How about going to the restroom and taking care of business before arriving at the theatre? Then you wouldn't need to reserve seats in the first place.

Why doesn't NCL lock the theatre up before shows, and only open it five to ten minutes early, or on time like they do the restaurants? Hopefully that would eliminate people arriving 3 hours early to reserve some seats.......:eek:

It's also been my experience that rude people are usually self centered and selfish, just like people arriving 45 minutes early so they can have front row seats for the show.

I'm not even sure why this is an issue. :confused: So what if someone has to use the bathroom before a show? At least they don't wait until the show begins and then step over everyone to get out and back in! Not everyone has the highly refined plumbing that you may have, electricron. :rolleyes:

And to flame the poster for arriving 45 minutes (not 3 hours) early to get a good seat is not very nice. If they choose to spend their time getting there early, that's their business. You have every right to do the same thing, and if you did, I wouldn't necessarily assume you're self centered and selfish...I would probably think I wish I had done that. :D

If NCL were to keep the doors locked until 5-10 minutes before the show begins, they would have pax trampling over each other in a mad dash to claim their seats. (Ever see the news video of people at Walmart on the day after Thansgiving?) :eek:

DT

Ummmm . . . Wow! :confused:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how arriving early to a show so that you can get good seats qualifies as either rude or self centered. It is their cruise and they are free to "whatever". If it pleases them to arrive early to the show, so be it. I'm not saying I would necessarily come early to get choice seats for a show, but, to each their own. Now, had they come in 45 minutes early, put their sweaters down as markers for "reserved" seats and then left until 2 minutes before the show, that would be different. But, physically sitting in the seats for 45 minutes except for a quick bathroom break while one person stayed behind? How is that different than occupying seats or a table anywhere else?

Man oh Man...........We're not children,we don't need to go to the bathroom before the show starts! Great idea about keeping the doors locked until 5 minutes before the show......that's "brilliant"! Like you said "dtracker".....that's a great way to have a "stampede" situation. We didn't arrive 45 minutes before the show,leave our sweaters,then come back 5 minutes before the show. We just finished dinner early and since the shows on NCL have a couple nights where there is only "one" show,that means that "everyone" on the ship is going to the same show! Plus we prefer to sit in the aisle where there is a little more "leg" room,so that's why we got there early. I just don't appreciate people coming in 5 minutes before the show starts,then get "pissy" with me when I've been there for 45 minutes...and they're mad cause they can't find a seat! Get there early just like WE did! Thank you Almagetty and dtracker for your comments....I don't think I was doing anything wrong.....and yes,I saw the Walmart incident...in fact there's an article online right now about the Walmart employee who got killed and the money Walmart is paying his family for that "horrible" tragedy!

• 5 months later...
drm93:

I am so sorry that your experience was so bad! I hope your next cruise meets your expectations. The attitude of the other passengers is not something that the cruise line can really help, but there is absolutely no excuse for a dirty cabin. I hope that what you experienced was a result of a very full Spring Break cruise and that the Jewel's staff corrects their service problems quickly. The Jewel really is a great ship, but the crew and staff play a huge role in the passengers' enjoyment of their cruise.

Was there any difference to this balcony room from other BA balcony rooms (larger balcony)? Do you remember if there were two nightstands or just one? Is there a refrigerator and a coffeemaker? This is our first NCL cruise and we are not sailing until next June. This will only be our 2nd cruise ever and it is our anniversary, so we were hoping it would be a little special. The first time we cruised we were in an inside cabin on the Carnival Cruise Line. Is there any tips and/or suggestions you can give us? Thank you.

Archived