Sign and Sail Card for Kids

lilone

Hi All, I wanted to know what you all do as far as spending privileges for the sign and sail. I'm a little confused on this subject. My children will be 7,13,15 at the time of the cruise. What have you all done?

With the 7 year old, I would have no spending privledges at all because he/she wouldn't be able to do things like sign out of Camp without you. So if the 7 year old is walking around the ship, chances are that child would be with you. And you would just sign for any purchases.

For the older 2, you might be able to put a limited amount on each account (some cruise lines allow this, can't remember if Carnival is one of them)

If not, then just give STRICT instructions that they can't change more than so much per day. And monitor the accounts daily. Just so things don't get out of hand.

We do the same with our boys, 10 and 13. They are told they can charge each day $20 in the arcade, buy one ice cream or pastry or special snack (which they don't since they have the free soft-serve ice cream on board), and one specialty drink (smoothie or frappucino). We then buy them a soda card so they're covered there, too. They asked us if they could have extra arcade money instead of the specialty foods since they figured they could get the ice cream and cokes "free" which we did. We had no problems. Also, be sure and get an lanyard for each of them, so they don't lose their cards.

For the older children I'd give them a set spending limit. For the younger one I wouldn't allow them to spend any money. Camp Carnival keeps them quite busy so they probably wouldn't have time between that and time at the pool and at port.

My boys are now 13 and 16 - I have always bought them a soda card and left their charging priveleges unlimited, but sat down and negotiated a reasonably generous spending limit with them - they're on holiday after all. The deal is that they will have to pay back anything in excess of what we have agreed, but they have never exceeded their agreed limit.

They know that I will see exactly how much they have spent, and what on, and I think it's good to trust them; teaches them responsibility. If you can limit their spending but not tell them about it that might work well - make them feel they have power, and responsibility, while limiting the potential downside.

My kids are 6, 10 and 11 and I was surprised that the arcade has them just swipe the card and charge as much as they want. Luckily, my kids did very well and obeyed the limit we gave them. ($4 a day for each) I could see it getting out of hand though. I didn't know the arcade was a cashless system so plan ahead.

My kids are 6, 10 and 11 and I was surprised that the arcade has them just swipe the card and charge as much as they want. Luckily, my kids did very well and obeyed the limit we gave them. ($4 a day for each) I could see it getting out of hand though. I didn't know the arcade was a cashless system so plan ahead.

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering how the arcade was handled. I have an almost 10 year old, and we have a daily limit... I guess he just has to keep track of how many games he plays? How much was each game (we're on Carnival Elation)?

Does NCL have the sign & sail privileges for kids as well? I have 12 and 10 year old and they will get soda cards, but would be willing to let them sign & sail with a set amount each day -- for arcade purposes mainly as they will get their food & drinks with us mostly except for sodas they can do on their own. They won't go shopping as not interested, just arcade.

I was on the Elation last year and didn't go with my kids so I didn't check out the arcade. We loved the Elation. The food was awesome in the dining room! The service was top-notch! Much better than the NCL Sky which is the one we had our kids use the arcade. Anyway, games were $.50 each on NCL and did not take quarters.

My kids are 12 now and the last two cruises we have let them charge on their cards. It would be for special ice cream or drink or arcade only. They have a soda card and they get either one ice cream or special drink a day, not both. And, they have to report to us what they have spent. My husband checks the accounts daily and if it is ever abused, they know they will lose the privilege. If they want a t-shirt or souvenir they must ask, show us and then we usually let them charge it so they feel grown up.

Archived