Skagway to Yukon Territory by rental car

MichelleVA

We have the same issue of wanting to get an early start on a Sunday (we're rushing to get back to take an afternoon train trip rather than horseback riding). I called the local Avis office and asked if there was any opportunity to get a car earlier on our Sunday in June. I got the area supervisor, who said it wouldn't be a problem for them to open at 8 am instead of 9; she made a note of my name and date, and said it would be passed on to the Skagway branch manager.

The Avis Skagway office doesn't reopen for the season until May 11. Until then, the regional office is in Sitka: (907) 966-2404. From May 11, the direct number to the Skagway office is: (907) 983-2247. I'm planning to call the Skagway office in two weeks after they're open for a few days, to confirm whether they will definitely be open for us at 8 a.m.

The other alternative available is renting from Sourdough, a local Skagway company. They open at 8 a.m. on Sundays.

Hope that helps.

-- Eric

Thanks! I will call them too after they open so they know there are at least two parties that will be there at 8AM.

We have rented a car (Avis), and plan to drive and stop at Caribou Crossings. How long should we expect it to take to drive there? We are thinking about reserving the BBQ lunch in the covered wagons (we think the kids 7, 8 and 11 would love it).

We're on the Spirit, so we dock on a Sunday at 7AM. I have a car booked through Avis, which opens at 9. I'm wondering if there is enough time to drive to Emerald Lake and also do a 1.5 hour horseback tour at Emerald Lake Ranch. Our ship leaves at 4:30PM so we would have to be back in Skagway by 3 at the latest to return the car and get back on board by 3:30. I'm not too bothered about horses, but my wife would love it. She won't enjoy it if we are worried about time though.

Anyone think Avis might open early that day since we are the only large ship in port and we arrive so early?:)

Thanks

We were on Spirit last July and rented from Avis in Skagway. We made the drive to Emerald Lake and felt extremely pressed for time. Our 12 y/o neice was with us and she wanted to stop at Caribou Crossing to see the dogs. We just didn't have time and were concerned about missing the ship. IMO, this is the biggest problem with Spirit's itinerary.

We cruised the previous year on Norwegian Pearl and also rented from Avis and did the Emerald Lake drive. It was a totally different experience. We stopped everywhere and had plenty of time to be leisurely. I say skip the horseback riding and get to Avis as soon as possible to pick up your car. Then, take your time on the drive and enjoy every scenic moment, because IMO that's what the drive is really about :)

We have rented a car (Avis), and plan to drive and stop at Caribou Crossings. How long should we expect it to take to drive there? We are thinking about reserving the BBQ lunch in the covered wagons (we think the kids 7, 8 and 11 would love it).

It takes an hour and a half with no stops.

Hey Yukon,

Is the lady who makes the great pastries, cinnamon rolls etc. still up at Carcross? I believe she is just past the tourist trap diner in Carcross, on the same side of the road. I might drive up and have lunch at her place. Have you ever stopped there? How far is it from Skagway to Whitehorse?

Hey Yukon,

Is the lady who makes the great pastries, cinnamon rolls etc. still up at Carcross? I believe she is just past the tourist trap diner in Carcross, on the same side of the road. I might drive up and have lunch at her place. Have you ever stopped there? How far is it from Skagway to Whitehorse?

Gail's Cinnamon Cache is my regular stop - she's opening for the season in about 10 days (yuuuum :) ). From Skagway to Whitehorse is 112 miles.

[

quote=cruiseej;19357225]We have the same issue of wanting to get an early start on a Sunday (we're rushing to get back to take an afternoon train trip rather than horseback riding).
[ Just nosey, but after reading these posts, Why on earth would you want to turn in the car...and do the train, since you've already GOT the car and could do the same trip as the train, only folks here say it's better:confused::confused::confused:

BTW Millennium also lands on Sun. at 7am, but doesn't sail away until 8:30pm

Gail's Cinnamon Cache is my regular stop - she's opening for the season in about 10 days (yuuuum :) ). From Skagway to Whitehorse is 112 miles.

YAH! We will be sailing past the Cinnamon Cache in our minivan on May 16! Now we will be coming to a screeching halt instead!

[[Why on earth would you want to turn in the car...and do the train' date= since you've already GOT the car and could do the same trip as the train....[/quote]

I assure you that it's not the same trip - the WP&YR is very unique. It may run up the same valley but that's where the similarity ends.

Murray

We were on Spirit last July and rented from Avis in Skagway. We made the drive to Emerald Lake and felt extremely pressed for time. Our 12 y/o neice was with us and she wanted to stop at Caribou Crossing to see the dogs. We just didn't have time and were concerned about missing the ship. IMO, this is the biggest problem with Spirit's itinerary.

We cruised the previous year on Norwegian Pearl and also rented from Avis and did the Emerald Lake drive. It was a totally different experience. We stopped everywhere and had plenty of time to be leisurely. I say skip the horseback riding and get to Avis as soon as possible to pick up your car. Then, take your time on the drive and enjoy every scenic moment, because IMO that's what the drive is really about :)

So, do you recommend not renting a car and just doing the train instead? I feel like we can see a lot more with the rental car and be in control of our own pace. We are not "tour group" people, so being stuck on a train with a bunch of elderly passengers (nothing against elderly people - hope to be one someday) is not our idea of fun. Without the horseback tour, we should have plenty of time to drive up and be back by 3PM to return the car, right?

Did I read an earlier post right? We are up there on May 21st (Thursday). Did I read right that Caribou Crossing won't even be open?

Caribou Crossing definitely will be open - they open on a small scale today but will be going full-tilt next Monday. The lakes, though, may or may not be open - ie ice-free.

Without the horseback tour, we should have plenty of time to drive up and be back by 3PM to return the car, right?

Yes, you could be back by 2pm if you wanted to - figure on 5 hours with lots of stops including lunch.

How's the souvenir shopping in Whitehorse? Are the prices not so stratospheric as in Skagway? It would be nice to grab something from the Yukon.

There's lots of stuff available without coming all the way to Whitehorse. The historic Matthew Watson Store in downtown Carcross, and Caribou Crossing both have good selections at the same prices you'd find in Whitehorse. What Whitehorse excels at is high-quality local art.

I just reserved w/Avis for June 22 Skagway.

I also just bought and downloaded Murray's Guide. With that info in hand I feel ready for the big drive at our own leisure. Get back in the afternoon at the Red Onion to quench our thirst. Kathy in KY

I was starting to plan out skagway, and realized that we have the least time at this port. carnival spirit leaves at 4 00pm.

Most of the train rides that cover rides to the yukon etc need a lot more time. Emerald lake was something i was hoping to visit.

does renting a car and driving make more sense ?? I don't think the railroad works for our departure of 400pm, on the other hand driving and not making it back on time scares me too.

The white pass rail was what i was thinking of, but looks like i def have to change plans.

suggestion.....comments ....welcome.:rolleyes:

thanks

So, do you recommend not renting a car and just doing the train instead? I feel like we can see a lot more with the rental car and be in control of our own pace. We are not "tour group" people, so being stuck on a train with a bunch of elderly passengers (nothing against elderly people - hope to be one someday) is not our idea of fun. Without the horseback tour, we should have plenty of time to drive up and be back by 3PM to return the car, right?

No, definitely get the rental car. I would just skip the horseback riding and keep aware of the time. I was just comparing time in port between NCL and Carnival. With NCL, we didn't leave Skagway until 8:00pm so we could take our own slow, sweet time. You'll be fine with the rental car. Have a great time!

Thanks! I will call them too after they open so they know there are at least two parties that will be there at 8AM.

There will be 3 of us.I would like to even leave at 7:30, but I here it's foggy early in the morning. I am on the Spirit on May 31st. We arrive at 7:00 and leave at 5pm

Help us! We come in Carnival Spirit, the ship is in Skagway port from 7am-4.30pm. If we rent a car ( rental opens at 8am and we leave by 9am). Will we be able upto Emerald Lake and be back to ship by 3pm? BQ was telling that it will take 5hrs, with kids will it be possible?

And also what is the speed limit on those yukon highway.:confused:

Thanks for any advice...

There will be 3 of us.I would like to even leave at 7:30, but I here it's foggy early in the morning. I am on the Spirit on May 31st. We arrive at 7:00 and leave at 5pm

I called Avis today (5/11) and they said that by June they should be fully staffed and open around 8AM for those of us arriving on Sundays via the Spirit.

Archived