Radiance with Children?

I posted a question yesterday about comparing the Radiance to the Enchantment (Adventure Ocean portion) and didn't get any feedback, so I thought I would try this. :p Anyone out there taken their children on the Radiance? How was the experience? Is it a small area set aside for them? Or does anyone know where I can find or have any pictures of the Adventure Ocean on the Radiance? Our experience on the Enchantment was that is was a small, crowded area that didn't work out well and it is a major consideration this time in our planning. Thanks to all who can give some advice.

We were on the Radiance February '08 with our 4 year old daughter and our 6 year old son. It was their first cruise and we weren't sure what to expect but, as so many others have said on these boards, we never saw them other than at meal times. Our son is quite active, our daughter less so. Each enjoyed Adventure Ocean equally. The staff was excellent, the room was actually very spacious and bright and the activities were terrific. Sorry I don't have pictures but maybe a search on Webshots might work. Any other questions and I'll do my best to answer.

You may want to post this on the Family board if you want more traffic.

We have been on the Radiance three times -- our DD was 7YO, 8YO, and 11YO at time of each sailing.

The AO area is set up with a separate area for the 6&U age group and then a fairly large multi-purpose room that can be divided into two smaller (but still good sized) rooms based upon the activities of the older kids. There is a separate area with a counter top - for crafts, science stuff and snacks that is also shared by the older groups. There is a restroom in the facility (unlike Voyager class where the kids have to walk out of AO through Adv Beach to hit the restroom).

For our '04 cruise, the ship had a to that point-in-time record number of u18 kids on-board. And while a large portion of those kids chose to participate, apart from some congestion during peak times of checkin/checkout, it never seemed crowded.

Radiance also has a nice Adventure Beach area for the kids.

You aren't going to find many pictures of AO anywhere because there is a sign outside of the AO area that says "For the safety of our children, please do not take any pictures" or something to that effect.

BUT, you can see pictures of the kids pool area on Radiance called Adventure Beach

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2978261830048908256vtFiqr

You say that Enchantment's AO was small and crowded...don't forget to take into account the amount of kids onboard at the time...was it a summer/holiday sailing? Was it a shorter cruise?

Does anyone know if the AO faciliteis are similar in size to Voyager class ships?

AO on Radiance class is smaller, but I think Radiance is a more efficient layout. Radiance does not have the mini "rock climbing wall"

We cruised in March of 08 on Radiance and then August of 08 on Enchantment. I can tell you that my 9 year old son seemed to like Adventure Ocean on Radiance a lot better than Enchantment. He didn't spend a whole lot of time in there on Enchantment. Personally, I got a better vibe from the staff on Radiance also. If you have younger children, I'm sure they'll enjoy it. Now we did Liberty in January of this year (lucky little boy) and he also enjoyed that - much larger facilities. It will be hard to go back to a smaller ship! But then again, I'll take any ship.:D

Archived