rent a kayak at a Progresso beach?

Kathy0418

Seems to be very little activity at the Progresso port of call message board and my friends at the Carnival message board always seem to know the answer to any question so I am hoping this won't get moved. We are sailing soon with 6 people and I am the one in charge of finding something for us to do.

We've kayaked in several ports but not on our tour, just rentals at the beach. We've heard there is a beach close to where the Progresso shuttle drops you off, Corona Beach but we'd like to know if there is somewhere to rent kayaks to play around in for an hour or so. Also, is there another beach that people have been to that they have liked. We are traveling with 19-23 year olds so nothing too boring. thanks so much

I'm not sure if it's Corona beach or not but it's the best thing going in Progresso, free too! Unless you take an excursion, this is about it. We did take a bus into Merida but it was terrible, crowded, no one spoke English and we couldn't find the straw market. Given the unrest in Mexico lately, I wouldn't take the 60 minute trip into Merida. Just go to that beach and you'll have a blast. I bet it is Corona beach.

Is that the beach I keep hearing referred to as Corona beach. Is that the real name or do they call it that because there are Corona girls there?

There is only one stretch of beach, "corona beach" is the section of beach near the pier. If you keep going away from the pier there will be public beach served by wait staff.

The bus (you cannot walk this pier) will drop you off in town. It is only a couple of blocks to the beach. There is an inexpensive tour bus that will be parked there. Plunk down a few dollars and take this short tour. It will get you acclimated to the town and you may learn a few things.

You will hear many negative things about this port, but I loved it.

I heard many negative things about Progresso too but it's a great "sit at the beach" port.

One thing I will tell you is that you should do your shopping for souviners at Progresso. This was four year ago though. Progresso was our first stop and I thought, we'll we will see how these price out in the other ports, couldn't be that much different but oh no it was . . . . Progresso was much less expensive. Now I'm not talking jewelry, just souviner type stuff.

I'm not sure if it's Corona beach or not but it's the best thing going in Progresso, free too! Unless you take an excursion, this is about it. We did take a bus into Merida but it was terrible, crowded, no one spoke English and we couldn't find the straw market. Given the unrest in Mexico lately, I wouldn't take the 60 minute trip into Merida. Just go to that beach and you'll have a blast. I bet it is Corona beach.

Now why would you give advice to scare someone? Merida is one of the safest cities in Mexico. All the unrest is in the border areas of Mexico and in some of the tribal areas. The local buses I have ridden to Merida have been in great condition and air conditioned. Plus how can you beat the $3pp for a round trip ticket. The reason it was crowded in the morning is folks are going to work and young folks are going to school. The buses run every 15 minutes from Progreso to Merida. So if you would have waitedm the next one might not have been crowded.

Sorry not everyone speaks English, it might be because you are in a foreign country. With that said, I have run into a lot of people in Merida whom speak English. I also carry a handheld translator for use in a pinch.

I bet you didnt know there are two large universities in Merida, a population of over one million, Walmart, Costco, Burger King, Sam's, etc.

There are at least four or five "straw" markets within a three block radius of the Cathedral at the Plaza Grande. It is a great city to walk around and explore while feeling safe doing so.

A great website for information is http://www.yucatantoday.com

Dave

The shuttle from the pier will drop you off at this open market. You will get off the bus on the street to leading to the right in this picture. The beach is two blocks back behind the perspective of the photo.

1497127156080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

Once you walk the two blocks to the beach you will see Corona beach on the left. Corona beach is the name of a business, not the name of the beach at large. The ship will probably offer a "Corona Beach Break" or some similar name. You can simply walk-up and buy it on sight for less if it interests you.

1497119812080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

The pier in progresso is nearly five miles long. This is why you must take the shuttle on and off the pier. In this photo Corona Beach is to the left.

1497121509080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

The malecón (beachfront boulevard) runs east from Corona Beach. Several restaurants offer chairs and table service on the beach in front of their premises. The chairs are free with food/beverage purchase. I have not seen anywhere renting kayaks or other water toys though I may have just overlooked them.

1497123303080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

You can have a fun beach day in Progreso. If you are looking for a bit more excitment you might want to try Hotel Reef Yucatan. The ship will probably offer an excursion here also. It is an all-inclusive about 45 minutes east of Progreso. You can buy day passes directly from the hotel when you arrive and you can book a tazi or shuttle (ussually the one carrying the ship tour) directly on the pier. Just ask at the taxi stand at the terminal on the pier.

http://www.reefyucatan.com/index_ing.php

Jetskier. You and I are on the same page. As you know, I love Merida and the Yucatan. I've traveled to small rural villages and even down to Campeche. After two portcalls and three 2 wk vacations to Merida, I have not once felt any danger. Have you noticed that most of the street LEOs don't even carry sidearms in Merida? For those wanting to visit the local market, just ask directions to the central mercado. Very interesting and where the local residents shop. It's huge. I've heard/read that there are actually four universities in Merida. The bus, in my expereince, has taken 40 minutes rather than an hour. I always allow a day or two to take the bus to Progreso for the whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet. BTW. I don't speak Spanish at all but still get along just fine and half the time am traveling alone and seventy yrs young.

Jetskier. You and I are on the same page. As you know, I love Merida and the Yucatan. I've traveled to small rural villages and even down to Campeche. After two portcalls and three 2 wk vacations to Merida, I have not once felt any danger. Have you noticed that most of the street LEOs don't even carry sidearms in Merida? For those wanting to visit the local market, just ask directions to the central mercado. Very interesting and where the local residents shop. It's huge. I've heard/read that there are actually four universities in Merida. The bus, in my expereince, has taken 40 minutes rather than an hour. I always allow a day or two to take the bus to Progreso for the whole deep fried snapper at Le Saint Bonnet. BTW. I don't speak Spanish at all but still get along just fine and half the time am traveling alone and seventy yrs young.

Like you, I have not had any problems finding the markets or asking directions. The bus is 40-45 minutes depending on stops. I usually am able to get on the 8am bus which puts us in Merida at 8:45am. For the return trip, I take the 1:15 or 1:30pm bus. This puts me back in Progreso with enough time to go to beach to get a margarita before I take the 3:15 shuttle back to the ship.

For those thinking about going, this gives you over 4 hours in which to walk around the Central area. If you are on the Carnival or AutoProgreso excursions, you have about one hour.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Archived