Getting from Heathrow to Southampton

cruiser53

We are thinking of taking the QV 7/22/10 cruise around the British Isles, due to time contraints at work, We are planning on arriving the day before the cruise and staying in Southampton overnight, and depart back to the states the day the cruise ends.

I will be doing my own flights since I have frequent flyer miles, therefore what is the best way of getting from Heathrow to Southampton and vice a versa other than hiring a private car, as of now the flights arrive around 9:00am and depart about 12:30PM. Can you book a transfer from Cunard, and if so how long should it take would I be able to get from the ship to the airport in time to check in for the 12:30 flight, which means I would have to be there probably by 10:30.

Any suggestions..........

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

Hi There

You should have no problem in getting a Private Hire Car from the Airport to Southampton but would strongly recommend you book in advance.

My parents regularly travel between Heathrow and Southampton and I will post the telephone number here of the company they use as they say they are REALLY reliable.

I will also find out how much the price is as well.

It is approx. 70 miles between the two locations and will take approx 1.5 hours.

You could get the train down to Southampton but as you will have luggage, it will be a week / working day, train travel is VERY expensive I would not recommend.

Check out trains on http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Cunard transfer on the way back you should be able to book with Cunard along with any of the shore excursions but I believe it is quite expensive when compared with getting a taxi and doing it yourself.

There are lots of hotels in Southampton (I used to live there).

Holiday Inn - You know what to expect for the price.

Premier Inn - Cheap budget hotel and consistent product. www.premierinn.com

Travelodge - V. Cheap, budget hotels - Clean and tidy. www.travelodge.co.uk

De Vere - Overpriced for what you get - I have stayed there and had a really bad experience for a four star hotel.

Jurys Inn - Good price for what you get. www.jurysinns.com

Would reccommend a Branded Hotel Chain as opposed to an independant hotel, the independant hotels leave a lot to be desired.

Have been on Queen Victoria twice and booked already for 2 more times this year and once (so far) next year. You will love it. Check out the following:

www.welovecruiseships.com

Kind regards

Nick

We are thinking of taking the QV 7/22/10 cruise around the British Isles, due to time contraints at work, We are planning on arriving the day before the cruise and staying in Southampton overnight, and depart back to the states the day the cruise ends.

I will be doing my own flights since I have frequent flyer miles, therefore what is the best way of getting from Heathrow to Southampton and vice a versa other than hiring a private car, as of now the flights arrive around 9:00am and depart about 12:30PM. Can you book a transfer from Cunard, and if so how long should it take would I be able to get from the ship to the airport in time to check in for the 12:30 flight, which means I would have to be there probably by 10:30.

Tony

This car company is the best http://smithsforairports.com/

Tel: 023 9283 1111 Fax: 023 9235 2834 Email: bookings@smithsforairports.com . They charge £70 for the trip and are great.

Tony

I think you asked for suggestions other than a private car. I have used National Express, leaving from Heathrow's Central Bus Station. One time I paid 5 pounds ($7.50) and another time 10 pounds ($15). I booked on line. The Southampton bus station is well located and is a few minutes by taxi from lots of hotels.

Ted

I think you asked for suggestions other than a private car. I have used National Express, leaving from Heathrow's Central Bus Station. One time I paid 5 pounds ($7.50) and another time 10 pounds ($15). I booked on line. The Southampton bus station is well located and is a few minutes by taxi from lots of hotels.

Ted

There is a taxi rank right outside the bus station in Southampton.

I used Nation Express last year for the first time & was positively impressed by the Service.

As promised here are the details for the Taxi Company my parents use to get to / from Southampton / Heathrow

Airport Express

0700 2345 2345

(The number you will probably need to dial is 00 44 700 2345 2345

Southampton to Heathrow => £60.00 GBP

Heathrow to Southampton => £65.00 GBP (More expensive because they have to buy a Car Park Ticket whilst waiting for you.

Ted

I can just underline this suggestion, we did it last year and after the self embarkation we were at the bus terminal in 10 minutes and hopped on the next available bus to heathrow (although we booked a later one in advance). Only we had to wait for 4 and half an hour at the airport then.

Bon voyage

We have purchased tickets for National Express 10.30 coach from Southampton on 14 May for £1 each. These are funfares, only available online and can only be booked within three months of travel date. These funfares can vary in price from £1 upwards and availability can change from day to day. We have used NE before and when returning to Southampton took ourselves off the ship about 7.30 am, taxi to bus station for 8.30 am coach.

Thanks so much for all your posts, I guess the problem if there is one, is on the return, I have looked and Virgin and BA are the only airlines that fly nonstop to Miami, Virgins flight leaves at 12:30, BA leaves at 1:30, so 1:30 would be the latest flight I could take, would I be able to get from the ship in Southampton to the airport in time to check in etc. What would be the best way, Cunard transfer or private car.

Thanks

Tony

Just a quick question for the people recommending the private car companies: How much do you tip the driver? Or is it included in the rental price?

According to the car company, a tip of around 10 pounds is appropriate for good service. :-)

Archived