Another balcony question

Marylis

We are booked for the March 25 Navigator sailing, which is not terribly port intensive -- only one full day at San Juan, the rest are either total at sea days or half port and half at sea.

My question is, do you get much use of a balcony when you're at sea so much, or are they better for when you're docked or at anchor? We are thinking of trying to upgrade to a balcony from our window suite, but don't want to bother if it will be too breezy or wet to use it.

Any recommendations?

Mary and Lis

It seems to be a very personal thing so will give you my opinion - we use our balcony often on a cruise - we have only cruised in warm weather - we eat on the balcony (breakfast and dinner-breakfast often and dinner not so often but sure is nice now and then when you don't feel like getting dressed), read, have drinks, etc. And I love to sit out for a few minutes before going to bed. The balcony is important to us and yet others say they had it and didn't use it. Joanna

As Joanna posted, there is not one right answer to this question. I didn't miss it until I tried it. Now, can't imagine sailing without a balcony, especially for sea days. I love to open the door and listen to the sea sounds, have a quiet drink before dinner, or enjoy early morning coffee sailing into port. And (don't tell the cruise line) some of us love to sleep with the door open to be lulled into peaceful slumber. So, it's a very subjective decision. If you think you'll be sorry not to have a balcony and the price differential isn't too much go for it. On the other hand, if you don't feel that it matters save your money and buy something special in port to remember your cruise. Can't go wrong either way.

Personally I can't imagine not being able to open the windows and getting fresh air, but I don't like closed in space. So I always take balconey, but as everyone said it's a personal choice. I use balconey more on sea days than on port.

Last two Radisson cruises with a balcony and loved them. Planning a trip on the Diamond, and the differential of price of a larger sitting room versus a balcony is quite substantial, so not so sure this time around.

Zamost:

On the Diamond, the tradeoff is very different because the balcony is carved out of cabin space making the sitting room cabins much larger. I book the balcony when traveling alone, but would feel very cramped if hubby was along! In fact, we couldn't get a suite for next fall's transatlantic, so booked two connecting suites instead. The configuration works pretty well. We'll use the one with twin beds against the wall as a sitting room. That way early riser hubby won't feel penned in, and I can watch movies or read late at night. Just didn't want to give up the balcony!

Mary and Lis. Have your travel agent check with Radisson and see if they are offering free upgrades. That's what happened to me last year when I sailed on the Navigator. On some sailing they not only offer two for one but two for one plus a two category upgrade. If your travel agent does a lot of business with Radisson he or she may be able to get a free balcony upgrade for you. Good luck. Tom.

Since I use it alot, I think of the balcony as an "extension" of the cabin, not a take-away of floor space. On the Mariner and Voyager, of course, all cabins have balconies. On the Navigator, same size cabin whether you have a balcony or not. It is only on the Diamond (ok, PG, too)that this is an issue. The Diamond balconies are the best of all the ships, as they are really private, and deep enough to allow for a full size dining table to be brought outside. The larger ships have only room for a cocktail table, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble. I always get a balcony because I want to feel that I am on the water. Use it early a.m., cocktail time, and especially after dinner (skipping the shows, etc)

Archived