Blackbeard's Castle in St. Thomas

eeyore1079

I'm going on a 9 night cruise on Royal Caribbean. Has anyone ever taken the Blackbeard's Castle tour in St. Thomas through Royal Caribbean? How do you get to the castle? Walking....bus....safari bus????

Thanks !

We have been to St. Thomas many times over the years, and have visited Blackbeard's Castle on more than one occasion. It site is high up on a hill which overlooks Main Street, the main shopping area in downtown Charlotte Amalie. We took either a ship tour or a cab directly to the site, and then walked down 100 steps, past the 1829 Hotel, to Main Street and the shopping area. This map should give you some perspective...

http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/bbc1829camap.htm

If you are doing the excursion through your ship then you will be taken there in a taxi/tour vehicle (likely a van or safari). Walking is involved when at the actual property to see the various buildings, like the watchtower (which is what they call the castle) and the historic homes.

--Islander

• 3 months later...
If you are doing the excursion through your ship then you will be taken there in a taxi/tour vehicle (likely a van or safari). Walking is involved when at the actual property to see the various buildings, like the watchtower (which is what they call the castle) and the historic homes.

--Islander

Do you know if you're able to book a tour directly? We prefer not to book through the ship. I know we could go to the castle and do our own walking tour, but I'd like to do a guided tour if possible. Thanks!

You can book directly (340-776-1234), but the guided tour is usually once a day at approx 9:30, to accommodate ship tours. Last year, the price was $20 for guided, and $12 for self-guided. You can do the self-guided any time before usually 1 p.m.

I've done both, and I prefer the guided. But, I always do guided tours, because I like learning about what I'm seeing, and I can ask questions. The self-guided lets you walk through the properties, and though there's a docent in each building, they usually only answer questions pertaining to that property.

You can also swim in the three pools, and you'll probably have them all to yourself! There are also lounge chairs if you just want to relax.

Archived