which fins are better?

KORO1985

I am going to be getting some snorkeling gear for our upcoming cruise. I am wondering if there is a difference between the long skinnier fins and the shorter fat ones I have seen. Does one style work better then the other? I am a newbie at snorkeling. :)

I am going to be getting some snorkeling gear for our upcoming cruise. I am wondering if there is a difference between the long skinnier fins and the shorter fat ones I have seen. Does one style work better then the other? I am a newbie at snorkeling. :)

The shorter fat ones are designed to fit in your luggage better for traveling. I haven't used them though. The longer fins should give you more power. If you intend to swim down under water, I would recommend going for power. If you expect to stay on the surface I would guess either would be fine.

From a casual snorkeler perspective, unless you're doing a drift snorkel in a strong current or really like to swim fast (usually not the normal actions of snorkelers) you won't see any appreciable difference so I'd think fit and price should be your priorities. :)

Randall

I've found that for our occasional snorkeling (one cruise a year with 2 or 3 snorkeling stops) that small fins are much nicer. The long ones are designed more for diving and swimming completely underwater. Smaller fins seem much easier for us to use and I have no problems using them for diving underwater 10 to 15 feet or more while snorkeling. The ones we bought are US Diver Shredder II fins which are small and portable (google them or look on Amazon). They've worked great - including times when swimming in currents or out to reefs 100 yards or more from shore.

There are two things I dislike about fins in general. First they are a pain to carry around - both from home to the ship and from ship to snorkeling and back. So most of the time these days I don't take any fins if we're going on an excursion where they supply them or they can be rented. Second, fins tend to rub against my feet and leave the skin chaffed in places. Also, sometimes rented or excursion fins don't fit great. I've solved both problems (fit and chaffing) with some inexpensive neoprene "fin socks" from an online dive store. Google "fin socks" and you'll find several different ones at different online dealers. These help a lot and they also provide a tiny bit of foot comfort when walking across a rocky water entry in bare feet (before you can put the fins on).

If you're just snorkeling on vacation, the simple shoe fins you get on the snorkel boat are all you need. Saves you the hassle of traveling with them. Spend the money you save on a better mask & snorkel set. get a pair of poly propolene socks to cut down on the chaffing. Have a ball & enjoy!

Really it depends on what you are using them for. There really isn't a one-size fits all answer here.

I scuba dive, so things are a bit different, but I generally like non-split classic jetfins because I can do special kids and have more control with them. I also have a set of split fins, they are ok for just some recreational motoring around and are ok for that. The splits kick easier, but I can't do the other kicks, so everything has a bit of a trade off.

Best solution is to find a local dive shop with a pool that will let you try different types out before you buy them and see what you like the best.

Archived