4/26/09 Live from Carnival Splendor !!!

Wennfred

Numberous news sources have said that US deaths due to regular flu is more like 35,000, NOT 140,000

the numbers are this. In the US 35k per year die. In the world about 500k per year. In the US 15k have died of regular old flu since Jan 1st of this year

Make sure you are up on deck for the sail under Golden Gate Bridge in the morning but dresss warmly (take the blankets from your rooms if you have to). That is a sight not to be missed and you will want to be up there sailing in and out of San Franciscco Bay.

When you dock at Pier 35, Pier 39 and Fishermans' Wharf will be right there. Also the Historical Steet Cars featuring fully restored cars from Pennsylvania, Los Angeles, Chicago and Milan run along the F Muni Line for $1.50 have correct change as they don't make change.

Grab the F-Line in Fisherman's Wharf for a ride along the waterfront and a right turn up Market Street. If you want to shop at Union Square, exit at Powell Street. The F-Line continues on up Market and ends at the Castro Area of San Francisco, You don't have to be Gay to enjoy the beauty of the Castro area and its many cafes bars and restauraunts including the beautifully restored Castro Theater which stills plays organ music before the films. Also in the Castro, you can get a cheap tan on Noe St Just 1/2 block off Market and you will be warm and glowing. On the 16th Street side of Baghdad cafe at Market is a large mural that depicts the struggles and highlights of the gay community.

The F-Line gives a nice 45 minute one way tour of our beautiful city and I hope you enjoy some dungeness crab or clam chowder in a sourdough bowl in Fisherman's Wharf as it is one of our treasures. Dress warmly as we expect the weather to be 57 degrees with a 70% chance of rain.

WELCOME TO SAN FRANCISCO

• Administrators

The Captain has just made an announcement that they have asked for permission to make a stop in Long Beach, CA on Thursday morning. This stop will be for those wishing to debark permentantly ONLY.

Debarking in Long Beach *was* one of the suggestions made during yesterday's impromptu meeting in the theatre.

The Captain says that as soon as he receives word about porting into Long Beach, he'll make another announcement.

• Administrators
Fred,

How is the sea going up to SFO? Is it rough or smooth sailing?

Thanks,

Tibbie

The seas are a bit rough. I'm enjoying it, I love when ship's "rock n roll"!

Laura

Make sure you are up on deck for the sail under Golden Gate Bridge in the morning but dresss warmly (take the blankets from your rooms if you have to). That is a sight not to be missed and you will want to be up there sailing in and out of San Franciscco Bay.

When you dock at Pier 35, Pier 39 and Fishermans' Wharf will be right there. Also the Historical Steet Cars featuring fully restored cars from Pennsylvania, Los Angeles, Chicago and Milan run along the F Muni Line for $1.50 have correct change as they don't make change.

Grab the F-Line in Fisherman's Wharf for a ride along the waterfront and a right turn up Market Street. If you want to shop at Union Square, exit at Powell Street. The F-Line continues on up Market and ends at the Castro Area of San Francisco, You don't have to be Gay to enjoy the beauty of the Castro area and its many cafes bars and restauraunts including the beautifully restored Castro Theater which stills plays organ music before the films. Also in the Castro, you can get a cheap tan on Noe St Just 1/2 block off Market and you will be warm and glowing. On the 16th Street side of Baghdad cafe at Market is a large mural that depicts the struggles and highlights of the gay community.

The F-Line gives a nice 45 minute one way tour of our beautiful city and I hope you enjoy some dungeness crab or clam chowder in a sourdough bowl in Fisherman's Wharf as it is one of our treasures. Dress warmly as we expect the weather to be 57 degrees with a 70% chance of rain.

WELCOME TO SAN FRANCISCO

*****Cruising is about the journey, not the destination*****

What a fantastic way to describe the love for and beauty of cruising. Never more true than for all the passengers aboard the Splendor right now. It's a great ship, I sailed on the Splendor in January. I wish everyone that's complaining would realize this is being done for their own safety and well-being and, furthermore, how can anyone possibly blame Carnival for something so out of their control, or worse, scream at the Cruise Director! For the passengers aboard the Splendor....it's time to make lemonade out of lemons!

The Captain has just made an announcement that they have asked for permission to make a stop in Long Beach, CA on Thursday morning. This stop will be for those wishing to debark permentantly ONLY.

Debarking in Long Beach *was* one of the suggestions made during yesterday's impromptu meeting in the theatre.

The Captain says that as soon as he receives word about porting into Long Beach, he'll make another announcement.

Well, that will make some of the folks happy and make the cruise more fun for the rest who will actually enjoy the rest of the cruise onboard!

Thanks for the history and geography lesson, but I was already aware that Hawaii is part of the US. It is my understanding that Carnival would need to port at an international city to satisfy some law.

I think that rule has been suspended during this Flu outbreak

Thanks for the history and geography lesson, but I was already aware that Hawaii is part of the US. It is my understanding that Carnival would need to port at an international city to satisfy some law.

Then why mention Hawaii? :confused: It would not satisfy the "foreign port" requirements of the PVSA. And no retcwby, enforcement has not been suspended or we would not have been seeing all of these "technical stops" this week.

I have been on cruises where ports were cancelled due to weather. Bummer - but safe in the long run. As medical professional, I would be grateful if I was on that cruise that we were not being put in harms way in the form of a stop in Mexico - even if I didn't get off at port, people coming back on the ship would potentially be bringing back the infection and spreading it to us. The strain in Mexico seems to be much more virulent(over 150 deaths in Mexico so far) that what has been surfacing in the US. I know that being held "hostage" on the ship is no fun, but in the long run, I think that the cruise lines are looking out in the passengers best interest and in turn to national interest - potentially exposed cruisers are not bringing it back to their homeports and infecting others in the US. I live on Long Island and near NyC where there was a big cluster of swine flu. Several kids went on spring break to Mexico and brought it back to their families, and ultimatey their schools. Just my 2 cents.

Amen! A good two cents worth of an opinion. I totally agree!

I wonder what will be 'expected' from Carnival Corp. when some of the passengers decide to bail in Long Beach? I doubt they will be given any kind of refund, maybe a couple hundred dollar credit or something towards a future cruise? Just my opinion, but I have to agree with the people that are just going to stay aboard. YOU ARE ON VACATION! If you're one of the people that wants to leave in Long Beach, I WISH I COULD TAKE YOUR PLACE! I'd rather be on the ship, then be in Mexico anyway. lol Again, just my opinion. Also, to everyone on the ship, thanks for posting, it's been entertaining... I think I'll grab my camera and snap a few pics while you're here in SF on Friday, so thanks for the heads up!

May be a dumb question but what exactly is a repo cruise:confused:

Its when the cruise ship company doesn't pay their bill for all that booze and food and you get to take a nice trip to a dock where its held until they pay their bill + holding fees.

Oh.. wait.. you meant Repositioning. . . . . :eek:

I wonder what will be 'expected' from Carnival Corp. when some of the passengers decide to bail in Long Beach? I doubt they will be given any kind of refund, maybe a couple hundred dollar credit or something towards a future cruise?
Unless CCL decides to sweeten the pot, refunds would be dictated by the terms and conditions of the Carnival Vacation Guarantee.

OK. I'll bite. Which international city is in Hawaii?

May be a dumb question but what exactly is a repo cruise:confused:

A REPOSITIONING cruise . . . moving a ship from one homeport to another (e.g., moving ships from the Caribbean to Vancouver for the summer Alaskan cruises using the Panama Canal)

Thanks Gary. See? I have to get over there a little more often. The Spruce Goose wasn't there when I toured the QM in 1980, and I sailed out of what I now know is San Pedro in 1990.

Didn't the Partridge Family live in San Pedro? :confused:

San Pueblo- not Pedro:D (cassidy fan forever!)

Hey Fred

there is a ton of things to do In San Francisco It is one of my Favorite places in the world and i have visited there 25 times in the last 10 years......love it love it love it....I hope i can share some thoughts with you of what to do and to help you share info with others On board ....

Pier 39 as others have said is the closest thing but right past there is Fisherman's Wharf which has the Best Seafood on the West Coast.....lots of shopping in this area (cheap Jackets and sweaters) also a few museums that are a must see ...I know you were in the Navy and they Have a sub and a WW11 Ship the The SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is one of two remaining fully functional Liberty Ships pretty cool to walk around that ....here are a few links of things to do in that area...

http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/

http://www.pier39.com/

http://www.aquariumofthebay.com/

http://www.ghirardellisq.com/ghirardellisq/

http://www.fishermanswharf.org/

You can walk a mile or so and take a Cable Car down to China town or grab a taxi anywhere in the area...China Town has of course great Chinese food as well as good Shopping...

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfleet/cablecar.htm

http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/

One of My Favorite things to do There is take a GPS Self Guided Electric Car to tour the City...they offer 4 different tours and they last about 1 hour or so each if you dont stop....They are located right at Fisherman's Wharf also.

http://www.etcars.com/

Weather for Friday predicted through Weather channel.com is 57 and showers....Try to stay Warm and Dry....

Alcatraz will hard to get into The first time i went to San Francisco i did not know you needed reservations and the soonest i would be able to go was 4 days out....everytime i went (5 times) i made reservations since very much worth going especially because of your line of work...I hope you could see it...

http://www.alcatraz.us/

Whatever happens i Hope you have a wonderful time there..

OK. I'll bite. Which international city is in Hawaii?

Hey Pete...

I'm thinking you maybe read the original thought wrong. I think the poster meant that if Hawaii was a choice, where would they stop for the "technical" out of US port that is required. JMHO of course.

From what I've read in this thread the Splendor is now scheduled to port in San Francisco on Friday? Can someone confirm this and what the times are that the ship would be in port? It's close enought that my daughter might swing over to see the ship since we are booked on the July 19 sailing.

Archived