4/26/09 Live from Carnival Splendor !!!

Wennfred

OK. I'll bite. Which international city is in Hawaii?

Fanning Island . . . about a days cruise away . . . used to be used by ships ported in Hawaii to satisfy this (misnamed) Jones Act.

Carnival gets around this NORMALLY :rolleyes:by cruising 5 days from Ensenada, 7 days around Hawaii, fly th paxs home. Fly a new batch of cruisers into Hawaii, cruise around Hawaii for 7 days, then 5 day cruise to Vancouver.

This also serves, in Carnival's case, to get the SPIRIT repositioned from San Diego to Vancouver for the summer Alaskan cruise season. :)

Amen! A good two cents worth of an opinion. I totally agree!

So you get off a ship that's been rerouted to avoid Mexico. Then you get on a plane in LA with people who may have just stepped off a plane from Mexico, or you just got a ride in a cab with a Mexican cabbie who zips back and forth across the line. Until they stop the flights and the roads acroos the border the problem will be the same. Is there effectiveness in preventing health issues in this cruise effort? No. Better to just stay home for now if you want to avoid illness and stop fooling yourself.

So you get off a ship that's been rerouted to avoid Mexico. Then you get on a plane in LA with poeple who may have just stepped off a plane from Mexico or got a ride in a cab by a Mexican cabbie who zips back and forth across the line. Until they stop the flights and the roads in the problem will be the same. Is there consistency and logic in this? No. Better to just stay home for now if you want to avoid illness.

WHO just raised levels to 5, one short of max 6 of full-fledged pandemic!

Yikes.

Fanning Island . . . about a days cruise away . . . used to be used by ships ported in Hawaii to satisfy this (misnamed) Jones Act.

Been there, done that. Fanning was used by the 7 day Hawaiian non American flagged ships.

Carnival never had a need, as there are only 4 CCL Hawaiian cruises, all of which are reposition cruises.

Some more SF info for you guys:

It's approx. a mile to the Ferry Bldg. from the cruise ship pier and a really nice walk but if you would prefer to ride the F-Line runs the Embarcadero between Fisherman's Wharf to the Ferry Bldg. with a stop across the street from Pier 35. This line runs old style trolley cars.

http://blog.streetcar.org/maps.html

For the blues lovers go to Lou's Pier 47, the have live local blues musicians starting @ 4pm. Sit at a table by the window and it's a great people watching spot to boot. While the music is great, eat elsewhere.

http://www.louspier47.com/cgi-local/...ear=2009&mon=5

Next to Lou's there is a great pasta place called Pompeii, no view but great food. If you want to do traditional SF walk down the alley at the side of Lous and this takes you to Scomas.

Walk to the end of Pier 39 for a great photo op of Alcatraz and the GG Bridge.

Grab the Hyde St. cable car for a fun ride up one or steep hills

http://www.visitfishermanswharf.com/...cablecars.aspx

Here's a good map of the Wharf area.

http://www.visitfishermanswharf.com/...nd/FWMAMap.pdf

Have a sidewalk shrimp or crab cocktail anywhere on the wharf...don't forget to try some sourdough!

Hey Pete...

I'm thinking you maybe read the original thought wrong. I think the poster meant that if Hawaii was a choice, where would they stop for the "technical" out of US port that is required. JMHO of course.

Possible. Or not.

Then why mention Hawaii? :confused: It would not satisfy the "foreign port" requirements of the PVSA. And no retcwby, enforcement has not been suspended or we would not have been seeing all of these "technical stops" this week.

Not to mention the 5 day sail to get there Hawaii.

Stop the Hawaii talk FTLOG it was never a possible option.

I think the poster meant that if Hawaii was a choice, where would they stop for the "technical" out of US port that is required.

Here's what they said, and I do not see where you could infer that. I read it the same way as Pete, they are thinking a Hawaii port call satisfies the PVSA, which it doesn't.

I know Carnival will have a press release later today, but wondering what other options Carnival might have for the Splendor.....I am supposed to be cruising May 24th and doubt this swine flu will blow over in a few weeks. I live in SoCal so definitely am not up for a San Diego, Catalina Island trip and not sure if a SF, Seattle, Victoria, BC trip is appealing. Could they do Hawaii and get around the International port requirement?

I'm on the Splendor in July! What date do you sail? We leave the 26th of July. Hey Fred I hope your cruise is awesome. Keep us posted!
I'll be on Splendor Aug 20-we have until June 15 to make up our minds whether we want to go on. At least wehave SOME idea of what's going on.

Here's what they said, and I do not see where you could infer that. I read it the same way as Pete, they are thinking a Hawaii port call satisfies the PVSA, which it doesn't.

Sorry....just my opinion, remember.....no biggie.

No gay type of jokes, just joking about the Cold Weather and not having the proper clothing for San Fran.

They are now showing Slum Dog Millionaire on the big screen.

Like Laura stated we are currently waiting authorization from Miami and Long Beach to dock for a few hours tomorrow Thursday to let off some of the not so happy irate passengers that want to just go home. We like San Fran and know that rain or shine we are going to have a great time there. Thanks so much for the list of Steak houses nearby.

We are moving now at around 21.5 to 22 knots now and the ship feels the way it should feel, nice and bumpy, air temp at 56.7 degrees, yes nice and cold, no one is outside, its quite breezy and cold. As you can see on their online Webcam, lots of whitecaps and choppy seas. They should increase the further north we travel.

The ride down to Cabo was so smooth, I guess because we were just buying time for the technical stop.

If the stop in Long Beach is Authorized, they will leave a detail notice under our doors, I will let you guys know in a nutshell what it says.

Ok guys, here is the deal when it comes to the Guest Talent show, I was there for the Audition, they pretty much said, NO comedians, so that leaves me out, NO Tap dancing, a few people got up and walked off, a nice guy that is a professional dancer asked if he can use his IPOD and he was told NO, due to copy right laws bla bla bla, so he walked out. Also this is the Kicker, NO Musical Instruments from the band or crew can be used, another set of people walked away.

They can only select 7 people with 3 minutes acts, I enjoy watching people with real Talent, there are a few singers, only 1 sang very good and there is a group of around 13 doing a line dance, very very terrible, No one in sync, stepping on each others foot, you call that Talent? It was totally boring.. So with all of the restrictions, they got rid of the true talent and have these non-talented want-a-bees.

The show starts at 10pm, so glad I got a peek because now I can do some sleeping and not have to be disappointed

Chances are someone fell of the stage once or one told a dumb joke and messed it up for the rest of us.

By the way the Technical stop to Hawaii is Ensenada Mexico. Now the question for you guys is, if we hit Long Beach, we would have to go back down and hit Ensenada before hitting San Francisco right????

Then on the way back down from San Fran, back to Ensenada again to hit Long Beach??

Fred

I cannot access the webcam. How rough was the water on the way up? You are on a big ship that is over 100K gross tons with stabilizers etc. can you really feel a rocking? and were any activities curtailed due to the conditions?

I can't access that link either (blocked at work). However, if you go to the Carnival website http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_splendor/default.aspx?shipCode=SL

on the right hand side you see ship webcam. I can access that one here. See a few whitecaps!

By the way the Technical stop to Hawaii is Ensenada Mexico. Now the question for you guys is, if we hit Long Beach, we would have to go back down and hit Ensenada before hitting San Francisco right????

Then on the way back down from San Fran, back to Ensenada again to hit Long Beach??

Fred

I'd be more interested in hearing the technical definition of how one could fit a 10 day round trip to Hawaii into a 7 day cruise.

Fred

No, you only have to hit a foreign port once in the cruise - and it's the person, not the ship that's the issue. So you will be fine.

I've organized a small group trip for next week's Splendor cruise that had been scheduled for Mexico. Obviously that's not going to happen, but now our group is very concerned that Carnival may route all of our ports of call around California or even further north (Seattle). That's not what anyone signed up for, but it might be Carnival's way of not having to cancel the trip altogether.

Carnival said they would announce the new itinerary today at 5 PM EST but nothing has shown on their website and their 888 number is totally busy. Any ideas of what they might plan for our route next week? Will be freezing as we come back to my home city of San Francisco? Or could they loop us out to sea off Baja Mexico to get some warm days?

Thanks!

I appreciate everyones comments, but my original question was meant to ask if Carnival could do a Hawaii trip and add an additional port to satisfy the PVSA or was it possible that they would no longer enforce the PVSA. Sounds like Hawaii is not an option either way so thanks for the info.

Looks like the only option will be SF, Seattle, British Columbia for May cruises so guess I will wait to see the official Carnival press release tonight.

WRP96,

Thanks, that Jones Act is so confusing, they need to find him and shoot him in the leg.

Well I went up to see that cool movie called Slum Dog Millionaire and when I went up they were showing Wall-e or Wally E something like that, the over head Pool cover was close and it looks really nice there. I also touch the Pool water, it was full with Adults and Kids all having a nice time, the water was nice and warm.

Fred

I've organized a small group trip for next week's Splendor cruise that had been scheduled for Mexico. Obviously that's not going to happen, but now our group is very concerned that Carnival may route all of our ports of call around California or even further north (Seattle). That's not what anyone signed up for, but it might be Carnival's way of not having to cancel the trip altogether.

Carnival said they would announce the new itinerary today at 5 PM EST but nothing has shown on their website and their 888 number is totally busy. Any ideas of what they might plan for our route next week? Will be freezing as we come back to my home city of San Francisco? Or could they loop us out to sea off Baja Mexico to get some warm days?

Thanks!

I am also leaving on the Splendor this Sunday with my wife and another couple. We are from BC and have no real desire to fly down to LA just to cruise back towards home. I'm realy hoping they just choose to float around down south so that we at least get warm weather.

Thats it guys, the word is out,

Carnival Splendor is stopping at Long Beach at 9am to disembark those that want to get off the ship and go home. I am sure that we will be picking up Entertainment as well which will be a good thing, I don't think I could handle another Guest Talent Show LOL.

Fred

Archived