Port Canaveral - Pre cruise activities

weegl

We own a condo on the beach at Cape Canaveral, perhaps a 5 minute drive to the port. While we use the condo on weekends quite frequently, my family and I have not been down to the Cape in over 4 months (while we had renters in our place for the winter).

With that as background, I just wanted to share with everyone some of the newer developments that have occurred in the last few months. Many times people ask about things to do pre-cruise when they come in advance of their departure.

1st - there is a store on SR-520 (5 miles south of the port, near Ron Jon's) called the Dinosaur Store. Although the store has been around for many years, they just expanded to a new location and the place is great! If your kids like pre-historic dino stuff, this is the place. they are even putting in a museum to complement the merchandising. Definitely worth a visit.

2nd - the new restaurant at the port called Milliken's Reef is very good. We went 5 months ago when they just opened, but I wanted to give them some time to smooth the kinks out before I recommended it to anyone. The restaurant is quite good and, in my opinion, is now the best dining option at the Port for upscale seafood.

These new additions will help make a pre-cruise visit to the Cape even better than before. I hope you will consider visiting them next time you come down.

i heard about the dino store. if anyone knows the details of when it is opening and what the hours are i would love to hear them. we will be there at the end of november so it should be opened by then. would love to take the kids there.

thanks!

They are open 10AM - 7PM Mon - Sat. and like 12 - 5PM on Sunday....may vary by season. The store hads been around for over 15 years, but they new location makes it really a nice "attraction" to visit...much more interactive.

Will be visiting Port Canaveral on the new P&O ship Azura can someone please tell me how far and by what means we could get to Disney in Orlando.

Please remember that we will only be in port for the day. Is this doable please??:D:D

Roberto's is on A1A in downtown Cocoa Beach (about 7 miles south of Port). It is pretty good and regarded as the best Cuban food on the beach. They do breakfast lunch and dinner.

We also like Heidelberg German restaurant (across the street form Roberto's), the Cove (in Satellite Beach), Italian Courtyard (next to Dino Store), the Mango Tree, Fat Snook and Florida Seafood (for rock shrimp). At the Port, Rusty's is good for things like chicken wings, burgers, boiled shrimp and oysters.

Will be visiting Port Canaveral on the new P&O ship Azura can someone please tell me how far and by what means we could get to Disney in Orlando.

Please remember that we will only be in port for the day. Is this doable please??:D:D

Hi Rex,

I saw your post. We will sailing on the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on Sept. 6. I was hoping that our paths might cross- guess not. Anyhow, in order to go to Disney World you would need a VERY long day at port. You would need to rent a car- no big deal, that could be done in advance. According to mapquest (a USA guide for directions) Disney World is 68 miles from the port and 1 1/4 hours drive time. You would have to give yourself a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to return to port to be safe.

Unless you are there well into the evening, I think your day is going to be rushed. Just my opinion. If you need any more information- just ask, or send me an e-mail.

Gail

Archived